Closed Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The Cataclystic Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

Could we investigate the use of Overpower, Execute and Colossus Smash with this spreadsheet? It'd be interesting to see just how often a Warrior could want to change stances and how to do it.

There was a lengthy post with a lof of math in the middle of EJ thread saying CS is good DPS increase with a lot of people confirming that. My problem with it was rage management. When you have a full bar, you lose several heroic stirkes. And when your bar is empty, its hard to feel the benefits.

Overpower, afaik, not good at all.

Execute should be great on paper, but from practical standpoint most bosses in execute phases are nasty enough without putting any extra risk on tanks.

OP is terrible it has worse Scaling than Devastate, and none of boosted Crit chance, it really is the fact that Arms gets to have a 2hander and Taste for blood is so good that make it worth using, as prot gets neither OP is junk for us. Execute could be interesting since it has noce AP scaling but since we have to stance dance every couple of seconds to avoid the boss melee swingor it and generally won't have more than 25 rage when we use it or If we do the last 20% entirely out of Def stance hope the healers can take us through inevitable Crit damage

Wait, there should not be any crit damage after ctc, should it?

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    Not to mention you won't have the awesome Glyph of Slam anymore!
    I've seen this mentioned a few times around here and there is clearly a point I must have missed... Where does Slam fit into our rotation these days? Does it outperform HS rage-wise or are we just talking in specific circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
    I've seen this mentioned a few times around here and there is clearly a point I must have missed... Where does Slam fit into our rotation these days? Does it outperform HS rage-wise or are we just talking in specific circumstances?
    It's sort of a sad joke. Slam is completely useless as a Protection Warrior.
    But I simply use it to make a point that I am not using Revenge at all, thus don't glyph it.
    If tanks that don't use (Imp) Revenge start using GoSlam, it shows exactly how many top tanks don't use Revenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by kopcap View Post
    Wait, there should not be any crit damage after ctc, should it?
    I'm fairly certain that the only way to remove crit off the combat table is talenting it off, otherwise you can't actually get unhittable, you just cap Block early 96.8% CTC since you have 5.6% crit sitting stubbornly at the bottom of the table. And since our anti-cri talent onl functions in def stance....

The tests I've done suggest that when unhitable you're also uncritable. Unless, of course, it's possible to block critical strikes and WoL then reports them as blocks, but that wouldn't really make sense.

I intend to use CS as a primary filler for the coming raids. In the worst case I suffer ~5% more damage from a regular block, but it shouldn't prove too difficult to change stances between two swings. I'm particularly interested in seeing if 2/2 TM could possibly outdo 2/2 Cruelty...

Airowird, would it be a bother for you to add Execute and Colossus Smash (and even dublicates of abilities under the CS effect) to the spreadsheet?

edit: Airowird, I'm also somewhat confused over the spreadsheet. I've set uptimes of vengeance and basion of defense to 0%, removed all debuffs and buffs except BS and sunders, but all abilities hit for less on a dummy than what your spreadsheet says they should. Your spreadsheet says my Shield Slams should hit for almost 8k but they barely hit for 6k.

Am I missing something, or is something broken in the OpenOffice version?
    Last edited by Iyona; 10-27-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Could you please link the wow logs in question

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    edit: Airowird, I'm also somewhat confused over the spreadsheet. I've set uptimes of vengeance and basion of defense to 0%, removed all debuffs and buffs except BS and sunders, but all abilities hit for less on a dummy than what your spreadsheet says they should. Your spreadsheet says my Shield Slams should hit for almost 8k but they barely hit for 6k.
    Guess: You're specced into deep wounds and maybe even got a 2 piece? It calculates the total damage done per execution of that ability. If you want your "regular" numbers from your scrolling battle text you'll have to remove deep wounds, setbonus and if necessary thunderstruck to get the accurate numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Could you please link the wow logs in question
    Disregard my previous post for a while, I took a closer look at the logs and did spot some blocked attacks damaging me for much more than others. Those attacks could be blocked critical strikes. I'll keep looking into this and come back should I be able to confirm uncritability.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Guess: You're specced into deep wounds and maybe even got a 2 piece? It calculates the total damage done per execution of that ability. If you want your "regular" numbers from your scrolling battle text you'll have to remove deep wounds, setbonus and if necessary thunderstruck to get the accurate numbers.
    This. It also takes hit/expertise and crits into account in the Total so it is truly an average for pressing that button. Oh, and the target armor you entered might be off.

And I'll think about CS etc if I got time, but it's truly a large amount of work for that one ability simply because I did not built the base of the spreadsheet up to include stance dancing and variable target armor.

Ah, I assumed DW and other factors were only avaraged into the row labeled "Avarage damage", but looking at it again the numbers make sense.

Thanks for a great spreadsheet!

is there variable target armour? I thought most mobs had the same amount per level to keep things simple in regards to Balance, having much variance would seem to give the advantage to casters on some fights and physical on others

Most (if not all) bosses have about the same armor iirc, but I don't know if the target dummies have the same as well.

So far my numbers seem to be correct for the raiding boss dummy on the back gate in Orgrimmar, so I assume the other boss dummies in game are correct as well, but I can't verify that atm.

I really can't imagine them varying it except for a very gimmicky fight as other than the caster/physical disparity Sub rogues, warriors and other classes that have personal armour pen would be at a distinct advantage

Hey WarTotem (Airo?) many thanks (!) for the spreadsheet which has been incredibly useful and others for their discussions here.

Using this spreadsheet along with a few WoL parses has shown me that I'm underperforming by about 10-15% even on stand-and-tank encounters like H.Baleroc... (which is really depressing to know since I always thought I was pretty awesome.)

Turns out I'm only using 73% of the number of Shield Slams that I should be using on average, and that I'm often very lazy and just use a Devastate in the GCD prior to SSlam coming off cooldown. Anyhow, I average 80% Rend uptime and am woefully ignoring my Thunderstruck-buffed Shockwaves on the 4th GCD of each Shield Slam series. All of which I would be ignorant of without your help here.

For shame! Even before the threat buff my TPS/DPS was great (and I've been ranked in WoL parses twice this expansion), which really speaks to the fact that Blizzard has pared away much of the skill from Vanilla/BC where threat was an artform. Anyhow, it seems quite... odd... that I'm ignoring some pretty integral concepts of maxing DPS from a Rotations-only sense (since I run with as little Hit/Exp as possible) and still average 75-90 on many of the rankings for our fights. This isn't at all to brag, but really to point out that... whoa, there are a ton of Protection Warriors out there who suck worse than me, but Blizzard has tuned it to where they still seem to function well enough to let the group down their encounters.

does anyone else have issues with safe clipping rend? It seems to me that thunderclap needs to hit in order to reapply rend. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

You are correct indeed.

Closed Thread