+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Pally

Prot Pally

I was just accepted into a different guild. The only changed they wanted me to do was to change my spec (after looking around, I see why) but they also want me to regem to ONLY stam gems. This would drop me below block cap.

As far as I can tell, block cap was(?)/is THE priority. Am I wrong? Is going back to full stam the way I really should go?

Block capping only helps smooth damage out if you followed the discussion it's not essential it's more a better practice thing.

If there healers would rather have a bigger bucket ... you are new to guild ... do as they ask IMO.

You can always carry 2 sets of gear for when you do your own thing.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

to a lot of people a large HP pool is all that's needed for tanking - hence the pure stamina gems without considering other factors

try and see if you can talk to the guild officers into letting you go as you are before making any changes, they just might not be that knowledgeable about how a tank is supposed to work

if they're adamant about you gemming pure sta - you have 2 choices - gem like they asked you to or seriously consider how much you want to stay in a guild where they force you to do things a certain way and only their way without considering any other opinions

I've decided just to see how it goes. After raid buffs, it doesn't seem I'd be far away from cap if not at it even after regemming, will be close.

Ask your healers if they played WoW during the Burning Crusade? Would they have wanted a crushable tank then? Is 143% extra damage from an unblocked hit really that different from 150% extra damage from a crushing blow?
    Last edited by theodisius; 11-05-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Lol the guy that told me to do all this was also a Protadin (an alt was, in which H LK is tanked). When I asked him when the last time he tanked hard modes ICC was, he responded "Pre-4.0". They are a good guild, but I really do not think they have read EJ and MT or even had an experienced Prot Pally (since patch).

I am gemming stam. If I get too squishy, their healers will know.

Well you mention H-LK, so gear wise getting block capped without gemming for it should be acheiveable, getting block capped is your top priority but you really should not need to be gemming for it, an armory would help so we can maybe find some small things that can help get there. Also when calculating your numbers be sure to be well fed(Blackened dragonfin gives the most avoidance) have kings, and get a DK in the group for HoW. I see a lot of these threads where they are attempting to get capped without raid buffs which makes things much more difficult.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

you can reckon on 2.5-3% avoidance from horn of winter as a conservative guess.,

Well its 10m H LK. I have heard it's pretty hard without 277 gear.

http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone...&name=spamtech

i should be close with raid buffs, but I still have 3 more gems to change out + i am not quite hit capped (using snapper extreme over fish feast atm).

Well, reforged some expertise rather than dodge and changed out the tier leggings with the 264 saurfang (10m) legs.

I am assuming 2 set bonus isn't a huge deal anymore? If not, getting 264 necklace should allow me to get block capped while still gemming straight for stam

Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle2009 View Post
    Well its 10m H LK. I have heard it's pretty hard without 277 gear.

http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone...&name=spamtech

i should be close with raid buffs, but I still have 3 more gems to change out + i am not quite hit capped (using snapper extreme over fish feast atm).
    Don't ever eat the fish feast for a progression fight, hit food(if you arent capped), expertise food, agi, str are all much much better options.

Would Boots of Kingly Upheaval be a better choice than my current boots? With the hit food, I believe that would put me at hit cap (not logged in atm to see where I stand) and MAYBE add some avoidance if I recall correctly. I am just worried about losing all that strength and stamina..

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledknight View Post
    Don't ever eat the fish feast for a progression fight, hit food(if you arent capped), expertise food, agi, str are all much much better options.
    Depends on your stats, but Fish Feast is currently better than Strength or Agility food for threat, and very close to Expertise and Hit food if you're near those respective caps from gear alone.

pinnacle2009Why the obsession with being hit capped? It hasn't been necessary to be hit capped to hold aggro this entire expansion, and it isn't necessary now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumines View Post
    Depends on your stats, but Fish Feast is currently better than Strength or Agility food for threat, and very close to Expertise and Hit food if you're near those respective caps from gear alone.

pinnacle2009Why the obsession with being hit capped? It hasn't been necessary to be hit capped to hold aggro this entire expansion, and it isn't necessary now.

TLDR Summary:
    • Accuracy is still the highest-DPS enchant
    • The highest DPS food is:
      • Below 22 expertise: Rhinolicious Wyrmsteak
      • Above 22 expertise, but below hit cap: Snapper Extreme
        Above 22 expertise, hit-capped: Rhinolicious Wyrmsteak, with Fish Feast a close second.

This is solely threat based, if you look at the graph str food is a few dps behind the feast while providing a small amount of avoidance, so overall unless your raid is threat capped it is a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledknight View Post
    [*]Above 22 expertise, but below hit cap: Snapper Extreme
    Real tanks raw eat meat - Worg Tartar

It's a bit late for this post i know but, As mentioned above keep the two sets of gear with you i personally Gem all out stam but reforge alot of mastery Aka block i've not had complaints as of yet about me taking insane amounts of damage but my HP Sits at 51k unbuffed like 71k in ICC block sits at 30% without HS Up.

But as far as the new guild goes, You joined them best do as they ask =P

Turned out I am indeed block capped after going full stam >.>

I did have to change one item out and reforge differently on another. Using the heroic 10m ICC cloak (from fester maybe?) also added nearly a whole 1% more avoidance. So now, I seem to be sitting comfortably at block cap and still listening to what the guild said.

That reminds me, what exactly is the "Block Cap"?

The block on my pally is at 30% after doing a bit of reforging to mastery with 21% dodge and 20% parry.

+ Reply to Thread