+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LV80 Paladin Tank NEEDS some Help/Advice

LV80 Paladin Tank NEEDS some Help/Advice

Hey guys i would like some help maybe some advice on one think only AGGRO.
    As i only got to level 80 few hours ago and i tried 2-3 heroic dungeons, i find it near impossible to keep up with the aggro with other level 80's. Now fare enough my armour is pretty poor, i bought a few purple items but as my budget was pretty low has not made a huge difference.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to be more efficient with aggro and what items i should be aiming for, i think by GS is about 3k so a lot of room for improvement.

Peace out

Only one way to generate agro big arse weapon and correct rotation.

I assume you have read up on the correct rotation so that leaves BIG ARSE WEAPON to get. Remember non tanking weapons usually give higher threat because they are slower and have higher damage numbers because they are slow. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53595 uses only the weapon damage in the calc so the shift in 4.0.1 is to slow dps weapons to tank with as we don't have slow tank weapons until cata.

If you have the honor points the Wrathful sword/axe or mace will last for ages else hit wowhead and check locations of where to get weapon.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

yea sweet man, ive read the rotations and all... works fine but i have never thought about the weapon that im using. ive always gone for the fastest highest DPS, must be because of previous DPS characters. i've looked up some threads and found one on tanking gear i will try finding some of them axes/swords.

The PVP weapons are fantastic. If you can't grind the honour, then a slow dps weapon like Nighttime from Fos(H) is a decent pre-raid option. The weapon is one slot where I would not prioritise tanking stats - you want high base dps and slow speed.

For heroics, marking a skull for the party can help. It does not matter so much if you lose aggro on the skull - with four of you hammering on it, it will die before it can do much damage. If you don't mark a skull, the dps may focus on different targets and pull them off you.

For trash in 5 mans, I find the Grand Crusader talent great - and don't glyph your shield to hit just one target.

Start a pull with exorcise, run in judging and casting AS when they are bunched up. That should frontload a lot of threat and leave your dps playing catch up. Move into your 939 rotation - perhaps after consecrating and a 1HoPo ShoR to get your Holy Shield up and load up a bit more initial threat.

Get practiced in using Hand of Reckoning and Righteous defence. With two taunts, you should be able to stabilise almost any situation (think waves of trash in HoR).

Using avenger shield's silence to pull in casters to your AOE is also useful in the ICC 5 mans.

If your problem is more single target threat on bosses and you are playing your rotation right, then it is the fault of the dps not yours. Tell them to get a threat meter and learn to play.

some good advice there mate, im traying to find a better weapon but not a lot of people fancy having a tank with 26k health in heroic dungeon. im traying to save some money for armur but it seems a long way away

People may not like their tank having 26k HP in a heroic, but that is what the instances were balanced for - 26k is enough. If you hold aggro, they probably won't quit group or vote kick you. To get good at holding aggro, there is nothing like experience - it can be good to tank each instance on normal first, so you know the pulls.

Another thing to consider is running normal ICC 5 dungeons - you can get a lot of nice tank gear from them. Once you get good at them, do the heroic versions for even better drops.

Gearing up with emblems from running heroics as dps is another option, but at this stage of the expansion, I can't really see the point.

To be honest, I would be saving your gold for cata gear now and just gearing up through drops/justice points.

+ Reply to Thread