+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disc Healing Help.

Disc Healing Help.

i am a new disc healer and im wanting to know what are the main healing spells to use. and im sorry for being a noob. any help will be greatly appreciated.

See the WotLK Disc Priest guide that Aliena wrote. It is posted near the top of this forum, and it really helped me.

Although stuff has changed a little bit in 4.0, the healing style has remained the same. More's the pity.

For the time being ignore Atonement(Smite healing) and Heal in a raid setting. But it's not a bad idea to pick up those talents for 5 mans.

This is bread and butter:
    As long as you keep Prayer of Mending up you can't do much wrong. When in doubt, bubble. When something is hurt, Flash Heal. When something is seriously hurt, Penance. If you need to spam healing to keep something alive, Flash Heal.
    This is situational:
    When you get a warning that you might have to spam healing to keep something alive, Renew. If a group is hurt or will be hurt, Prayer of Healing. If you neeed to heal yourself and somebody else, Binding Heal.

Also when in doubt, decurse. It doesn't matter how miniscule a debuff is, if you can get rid of it, DO! Debuffs are a long term headache. If somebody has this nasty debuff you get in the Blood Wing of ICC(magical, does 2.5k dmg per tick) it is less headache to simply get rid of it than letting it run its course. If you let the sickness tick on the Slope of Death in Pits of Saron then you are quite, quite mad.
    Also, debuffs are untidy. They offend my OCD. MUST NOT DECURSE PUTRICIDE ABOM.

That's about it. In a nutshell.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Priests can't decurse. They can dispel magic and cure disease. I know you are thinking of all the right spells I just don't want the OP to get confused on a fight like Lady Deathwhisper when people are calling for decurses.

Prayer of Mending, Penance, Power Word: Shield, and Flash heal are your money makers. Keybind them close and use them often. Flash heal's mana cost recently got kicked up so watch your mana while spamming it. If you have huge mana issues, use heal on less dmg intensive fights.

For a good basics guide pre-patch, Aliena's guide is great. Just be sure to remember it's not updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Abernatheeee View Post
    Just be sure to remember it's not updated.
    She does plan to update it after cata, so check back sometime after that for an update.

It's pretty much what everyone's saying, so far...Flash Heal, Penance, for emergencies, and Prayer of Mending (Pom), whenever it's up. The main component, for Disc healing, is still bubbles (Power Word: Shield). Use them often, as you are trying to mitigate damage to your group--slow, or stop damage before it happens. Heal is a somewhat better spell, than it was before this patch, especially for mana savings. However, it's still pretty weak, and horribly long cast time.

Apollar, you don't say what level your Disc Priest is, but most of the advice in this thread is aimed at level 80, or close to it. If you are leveling, you'll just need to kind of feel your way, as you go, and get as much practice as you can, by running random dungeons, or in groups with friends/guildies. Many people prefer to level up, in Shadow spec, which has some healing, but is mostly dps. With the new talents, and abilities, Disc should be very doable, for leveling, too (it was before, but somewhat slower, is all). I suspect that you're biggest problem, while leveling, will be running out of mana, but that will ease, somewhat, as you go. Once you have your Shadowfiend, it should help a lot, as you gain mana, from using your little shadow buddy, whenever you can.

Have fun, Priests are awesome!!! (of course, I'm somewhat biased)
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

AS everyone said before the normal disc rotation is PW:S (Powerword: Shield), penance, flash heal and PoM (Prayer of Mending) and renew. As a disc priest, your main job is definatly just to shield the tanks. You needn't worry yourself with party healing as you'll go oom very very quickly especially as a result of the new patch.

What i do simply is that i usually shield and renew both the mt and ot (this is in ICC) before a boss or mob encounter then followed by a PoM on the mt so that when the shield drops there is at least a heal there in case at that point in time i am doing something else. I usually refresh renew as soon as it drops so that i have a HoT on the tanks at all time during any fight then if the tanks, if they need a big heal then usually just spam flash heal or penace when it is off it's CD.

Oh and I forgot to add. I love the disc spec and the priest as a whole; probally the best class in the game (Yea i am very bias )

Disc priest right now is very fun to play. For raids of any size its spam PW:S as much as u can. Keep PoM on cooldown as much as possible. I really dont use renew as I am spec'd into Archangel/Smite. For 10 man raids with lots of AoE dmg I just spam shields, PoM cooldown, Penance on MT/OT repeat. For fights where there isn't alot of AoE dmg then its more Shield/PoM/Penance/Flash Heal. Smite/Archangel is cool for a nice little mana boost.

Thanks soo much for the advice it is really appreciated )

my priest is a lvl 76 disc healer and i cn only use flash heal 5-6 times then im oom. and need to use hymm of hope and by the time tht channels someone in group dies. the long cast times on greater healer/ heal is bad aswell, i may be just doing something wrong.

I'm around your level at 71. As said above I PW:S the MT keep POM active and use Flash Heal and/or Penance in certain situations. With the occasional PoH thrown in for AoE heals. Seldom do I ever drop below 50% mana. Normally even with a high healing fight I wont drop below 85%. How much mana do you have, just tested it out on my disc priest and I can cast 24 consecutive Flash Heals before I oom. Althouh this is irrelevant as your main abilities are dmg reduction/absorbs. If youre spamming that many FH's youre doing something wrong. Practice keeping your shields up and PoM active 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollar View Post
    my priest is a lvl 76 disc healer and i cn only use flash heal 5-6 times then im oom. and need to use hymm of hope and by the time tht channels someone in group dies. the long cast times on greater healer/ heal is bad aswell, i may be just doing something wrong.
    Ok, yes, going oom, just from a few flash heals is just wrong, even at level 76. And, in a 5-man dungeon, you really have no time for using hymn, unless everyone stops for you, in which case, you might as well be drinking tea. Try using mana buff elixir, and check your gems and such, for Intellect/spirit...you have to find a balance among your stats...for instance, you can have high levels of crit, but if you go oom, crit is useless, no?

Check out Aliena's guide to Disc in this forum. It's probably not totally up to date, but it's close enough to give you a general idea where you need to be...and, go through your talents, and try to understand how combining one may help another...like what was mentioned about using Smite to get Archangel, which, when used, will give you some mana back...by the way, Smite has a heal effect on one nearby party member--which will usually mean your tank. This is still a really new mechanic, for most of us, but it has some promise, especially in Cataclysm.

And, hmm, renew seems a little more useful now, too, although I'm not convinced it's useful enough to spec into...I still use it, in between trash pulls, mostly.
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

thanks for all the advice guys, sorry i havent been able to reply soon enough, been busy healing a progress team in icc.

re-rolled priest as Disc .. 4.0.1 go live around me reaching 72 ( everything have to learn again .. duh! )

My main spec is Disc, off-spec is Holy .. tried Shadow for a few days just out of curiousity but decided to go Disc/Holy only. 1st Char is mage anyway.

I hardly set foot outside of any town/city ... I run 5men instances from lowest possible level until 80, with full heirloom ( Chest, Shoulder, Staff, 2 trinkets ) and highest profession based on level ( ench/alch ) .. I chanted all my gears and have all healing related potions/elixiers ON all the time. I rarely need to drink water, never asked mage table/food ... endless mana potion whenever CD is up ( or normal mana potion ) I just pick up the normal build, read gear guide here in this forum and a few other googled places .. that's my Disc Setting.

===========
    Disc Before 80
    ===========

I hardly wipe 5 man and virtually never goes OOM during fight. Most of the time everybody is alive with full health .. and that's include hunter pet, lock pets ... I have time to heal .. even mage's water elemental. ( I remember one of the mage told me not to heal his water elemental because he can summon another one ... but it's my OCD or habit .. to heal whoever in my party. )

xxx Simple 5 men Rotation xxx

Trash : Bubble and PoM Tank, Bubble melee .. spam renew. Bubble, FH and Penance based on HP drop rate.
    Pain Supression if tank is pulling whole bunch of trash.

5 men Boss encounter : 1st Bubble Tank, 2nd Bubble self ..
    3rd. throw renew to melee then range then PoM and renew to tank.
    4th. Bubble melee bubble range ..

now debuff is gone on tank .. rebubble tank ( Penance if tank hp is dropping )
    renew, bubble and FH as u think appropriate.

I don't do damage .. I don't smite and the most closet thing I did is Holy Nova. Tank has aggro job, DPS has damage job and Healer has healing job.

If you are having mana issue as a Disc, that's the time to check your build and gear because Disc Priest has virtually no mana issue.

===========
    Holy before 80
    ===========

Tried Holy and failed many time in many way comparing to Disc myself .. with Disc my success rate is 99% but holy can't keep up more than 70%. OOM is more frequent with Holy while I can go countless time in Disc .. same gear .. maybe my holy rotation failed.

===========
    80 Healer
    ===========

Went to raid as Disc all the time .. I did VOA, TOC, Nax, Ulduar and some part of ICC ... I love being Disc and made a lot of heals and shield (absorb) ... sometime I healed more than holy in the same raid. Successfully 1 healed TOC 10 man in early bosses because other healer choose to die in a few minute.

Raiding need more raid awareness than rotation. Know who to shield and who to heal first and making right decision at crucial point of time will save raid from wiping ... and don't die as 1st person. Dead healer didn't do any good to raid .. :P.

I don't have special guide .. my guide is Aliena's topic in this healing forum.
    I don't have speical build .. my build is pretty standard.
    I read this somewhere in this forum and it gave me the most valuable insight in healing.
    "Be Proactive in Healing" .. think ahead of the damage to your tank and raid.

And always try to stay alive .. healer should be one of the last person standing while the raid is wiping.
    re-rolling holy pally .. Byatza armory
    and n00b hunter ..... Tutpi armory

I agree with the reply's above. I have a level 80 Holy-Disc priest and most of the time in Disc speck its PW:S MT and OT with a renew ticking on both. PoM the main tank. If time allows me I Renew the raid to get DAeigis on folks plus help out the other healers. I use FH as a filler heal and Penance on big damage spikes(Grace is nice). At this point I dont find myself oom but if you are, definately focus on Intel and Spirit gems until you find yourself not running oom. And like the post above me says, STAY ALIVE. Learn Raid awareness by looking around and not at a specific character/s and definitely be proactive in healing but not to the point where your spamming heal after heal and next you find yourself oom. But most of all have fun and remember its just a game :-)
    Last edited by Megacode; 11-19-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Hi all,

Just wondering (have a Spriest and wanted to get into healing and always though Disc was cool), hows Disc doing in 5 man Cata instances? Does it work or do u pretty much have to go Holy?

They actually sucks both, unless you're going to do dungeon with guild mates or fine people.

+ Reply to Thread