+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Prot Warrior - is mastery worth reforging?

Ahhhh ok.
    I was under the impression that it _could_ add 25% as a maximum, but if you wouldn't need 25% to reach the 100% combined, the excess block rating would be rolled over to crit.block.

Thankyou very much. That clears it up for me then.

Just to finish up the 100% - 102,4% discussion.

It is my understanding that the 2,4% represents an increased chance to hit you (not miss), based on the difference in player level and mob level. Thus reducing base miss chance to 2,6% instead of 5% (or 4,6% instead of 7% for NE).

Ok, time to step in here and show the correct math:

The 2.4% comes from 4x 0.6%
    This 0.6% is 0.2% per level difference, per avoidance.
    The 4 comes from the fact you can be missed, dodge, parry or block.
    Therefor the number for Druids would be 1.2% and DKs 1.8%

So versus a level 88 opponent, your miss chance will be 4.4%
    The sum of paperdoll dodge+parry+block you need to be "Unhittable" is then 98% (96% for nelfs)
    Because Shield Block adds 25% Block chance, this becomes 73% raid buffed.

Secondly, Shield Block does not actually 'convert' block chance into crit block chance.
    Instead, Shield Block gives EXTRA crit block chance when you are unhittable. Even at passive unhittability, you will still gain 25% block chance from Shield Block, which you simply won't be able to use. Because of that, there is no debate about not getting Unhittable with SB, you will get it, the real question remains: Will I start getting crit block at 100% paper doll or 100% effective?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Thanks alot WarTotem.
    My mind is put at ease now :d

Reforge itself won't cut it at this gear lvl, you need to take extra mastery from gems, looks like the era of stam gems passed away. Does any1 knows what is a good average mastery rating where the stats becomes much better than parry/dodge?
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

Daimon,

The general rule of thumb (nothing hard and fast has been developed yet) is to try to get to 72.4% dodge/parry/block. With the 5% boss miss and 25% block from shield block, you hit the 102.4 target meaning every physical attack will be at least mitigated by block's 30%, if not avoided all together.

After that, it's more of a personal preference, but at 72.4 combined dodged/parry/block, SB becomes a 'CD-lite" guaranteeing at least some mitigation on all incoming attacks (physical only).

Then, after 72.4, mastery doesn't become worthless... mitigation is still mitigation and it will still smooth out incoming damage (plus when SB is used, as Wartotem says "Shield Block gives EXTRA crit block chance when you are unhittable." meaning you'll have a higher chance of 60% mitigation (crit block) instead of 30% (regular block). But since you now have a 'second' shield wall (though it doesn't affect everything SW does) this is the point that many tanks start looking into stats specific to the content they're doing - more hit for interrupts possibly, more expertise possibly if they don't have any hunters/rogues to help with initial pulls, putting more into dodge/parry for higher total damage avoided...

Really, that's a long way of saying, the rule of thumb is 72.4% dodge/parry/block and then do what you need to do for your raid.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Yeah, that's a big reason I'm building in Shield Block uptime support into the next version of Rawr. With Block mechanics as they are now, it's actually quite a major modifier in our gearing. In Wrath, Shield Block was a good cooldown but gear didn't really impact it all that much outside of Anub-25H.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

I can't wait to see what you come up with Koji, I'm still building my unhittability past 72.4 because while shield block is up i'm unhittable sure, the other 20 out of 30 seconds i'm not, I'd like to make myself as unhittable as possible (same philosophy i did with armor pen back in wrath and going past the arp 'softcap').

So far so good, and with gear upgrades, stamina and such are flowing in naturally. And then there's the ever useful trinket swaps ;D

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Yeah, gems are a fairly minor part of the Stamina picture right now anyway it seems. Trinkets and innate gear values are able to provide such a high baseline that I don't really think about it too much.

I mean, the difference between my Druid (who naturally gems Agility primarily) and a Paladin in the guild (who gems Stamina) is only like 3k health out of 170k or something.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    The sum of paperdoll dodge+parry+block you need to be "Unhittable" is then 98% (96% for nelfs)
    A bit nitpicky, but it's 97.4%. You "double dipped" the .6% from miss chance.

Yup, you're right, used to using actual numbers I guess :P
    It's 102.4% - 5% (or 7% for nelfs) = 97.4% & 95.4%
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiyama View Post
    I mean, the difference between my Druid (who naturally gems Agility primarily) and a Paladin in the guild (who gems Stamina) is only like 3k health out of 170k or something.
    The difference between gemming stamina and having one stamina trinket is almost non existent.

But comparing zero stamina trinkets and a truckload of mastery to full stamina gear is over 1600 stamina. That's a difference of roughly 25.000 hitpoints unbuffed versus almost 8% block/critblock. That's 1% block/critblock for 3.000 hitpoints.
    Last edited by klausi; 02-06-2011 at 04:09 AM.

So it's 1% block/critblock for about 1.5% HP.

(The HP percentage changes from where you look at it, if you start with the no-stam version or the full-stam version. The fixed percentage for block/critblock comes from it beeing an absolute percentage not a relative one. The relative dmg reduction from the addional mastery may be much more than 1%.)

hi i my first time hear.
    I was wondering if som pro her cold take a lok att my caracter and giw me som nice hints.
    I was planing on going mas mastery whitote sacrifising mutch stamina.
    But after reding som poest i concluded i shold go 2000 pary and maby 1900 in doge before going to mastery. am i corect?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...anapple/simple

shold i gem stam or mastery?
    any help is apriciated.
    and sory if my englich sux^^

Armory says you obtained the Dragon Bone Warhelm 5 days ago, for starters I would put that on, reforge expertise on it to dodge/parry. Your gems look alright, I just don't understand why you would reforge out of parry into expertise. My priorities would be: Maxing out parry, dodge and mastery (for now), and gemming for socket bonusses that are worth while. If your healers don't have any problems with a slightly lower healthpool, you can gem for more mastery than stam.

yes tanx will do that

+ Reply to Thread