+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearing Advice

Gearing Advice

I recently started back with WoW. Recently being like 3 weeks ago. Since then, I have made major improvements in my gear. As such, tonight was the first time I was able to get into a ICC 10 raid. This was a non heroic run save for lootship. We got to Sindragosa after clearing everything else and basically was told we had to stop as the two tanks (myself & a paladin) were not geared to complete the instance. I know I am getting at the end of what I can get non ICC/RS and just using JP and honor points, but the question now is, if we can't complete the runs, where am I supposed to get upgrades? Most of the stuff that drops in ICC normal is on par with what I have now and the heroics ICC stuff is only slightly better. Am I missing something or is Sin and LK that much of a large jump from everything else?

my wow-heroes link:
    http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone...and&name=Hegas

If a moderator could move this to Halp! I need advice, it would be appreciated. It was 2 am and I missed Kazeyamas(?) post on where something like this should go.

Gearing Advice

Yes, Sind and LK are that much harder. Putricide is the only boss comparable for the number of attempts learning a fight. These are all mechanics fights more than anything else.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

It just comes down to your hp pool being low for those two particular encounters. Your still wearing 3 nax level pieces of gear and 4 pieces of gear equivalent to the previous content tier. Plus your gem choices are all over the place.

If you both knew what you were doing as far as the fight encounter goes you prob could have pulled it off, but sindi and LK fights are designed for people that have been in ICC for quite some time and farmed the gear needed for them.

Your gems don't make a lot of sense. Some possible upgrades are the craftable 245 bracers, the pvp shield, which only costs 70 honor, the 232 neck that drops out of H HoR, and then I just think the Black Heart trinket out of ToC is an amazing trinket, even if it is only ilvl 200. Then I don't really think the 4pc is necessary, so you can easily get the JP Chest and Gloves which are both ilvl 264 and off a ton of stamina and parry, and then expertise on the Chest.
    Told you so.

I had the Black Heart trinket & your right, I think it is an AMAZING piece of gear but raids on my server wont even look at you if your ilvl isn't at least 5400. I just got lucky that the raid leader I ran with was willing to take a chance. The gems I threw in because frankly, I am not sure what to gear for other than STA, hit and exp, but I was unable to afford those gems at the time. (I blew most of my money getting the items together to make the leggings and boots.) I have been looking for bracer upgrades for awhile, but I must have missed the craftable ones because I didn't see them. I'll take another look. I'm not sure on the Shield. I have no doubt it's better STA wise (most pvp shields are) but it doesnt give anything else. I can reforge the Resilience into Hit, Mastery or expertise but I still miss out on Dodge and parry that my current shield offers. Isn't it better to just wait until I get a drop from ICC 10 normal and use that instead?

Gearing Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hegas View Post
    I can reforge the Resilience into
    sorry to burst your bubble, but you can't reforge resil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Need more rage. I can't do that yet. That spell's not ready. Not enough rage.
    Mäcintosh/US/Aggramar/Bloody Rage

Darnit. So whats the deal then? Would that be a good Idea? I had always heard replacing PvE with PVP for PvE purposes was a "bad thing". And after taking a look. I had the bracers made. But I am unable to acquire the shield as my "Battleground Rating" was too low. I wasn't even aware there was such a thing. I thought that was just for Arenas. I been working on trying to get the necklace but lady luck has not been with me. I swapped my Black Heart back in (never liked the Ick trinket anyway) and am looking for advice on gems. I was told Expertise cap was 24, but now people in my server are saying 45. Which is it? And is there like a softcap post somewhere so I can check info or do I need to check scattered postings all over?
    Last edited by Hegas; 10-30-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hegas View Post
    I had the Black Heart trinket & your right, I think it is an AMAZING piece of gear but raids on my server wont even look at you if your ilvl isn't at least 5400. I just got lucky that the raid leader I ran with was willing to take a chance.
    You can always swap in the Black Heart once you are ready to start pulling. By that time, nobody will be looking at your score anymore.

As far as a better shield is concerned, if you happen to see someone running ToC10 you can always try to go in with them and hope for the one from Anub to drop.

Your not replacing PvE with PvP, your replacing an ilvl 226 item with 80 avoidance rating and some strength on it for an ilvl 270 item with +600 armor and 87 stamina. That's almost 3 additional epic gems

If you're into pvp I did also consider grabbing a mainhand from pvp as well (1.785 hp). Two choices regarding weapon speed and another 57 stamina upgrade besides ~ +50 weapon dps.

The PVP shield is a definite upgrade over yours, it will hol dyou until you pick up the 251 or 264 pve shield. As far as the rating required for the shield, it still lists on the item in the vendor but you cna buy it and once it is in you rinventory the rating requirement will no longer be there. This is a bug on blizzards part.

Gem wise go all stamina, save for one red which can be 10 expertise/15stam or 10str/15stam depending on if you are expertise capped or not. The hit cap is 8% the expertise cap is listed as 26, however right now looks like 22 is fitting the bill, possibly another error on blizzards part or maybe something to do with scaling at lvl 85.

As far as your gear compared to Sindy and LK, you are realy close to being geared for the encounters. The shield and fixing your gems will probably put you in line to take down Sindy. Another note for Sindy pick up the three pieces of frost resist gear (belt, chest, and boots). With your frost resist in the 450-500 range you will negate most of Sindy's damage by half. Tanks in frost resist gear can run the buffet in the last phase of Sindy up to 25+ stacks where most healers will have issues around 15 stacks in no frost resist.

Honestly if the raid leader is still saying you are undergeared I'd say give it a go, especially with the changes made in 4.0.1. If you do an attempt or two and its clearly a tank gear/healing issue then fix the problem. Most people on Sindy have problems with people resetting debuffs and movement though.

So, I got a shot to take down Sindy last night. We tried 5x and the closest we got was 15%. We had issues with people not knowing when to move or not moving when they should have. It was a pickup raid so it was to be expected and since it was my first run at Sindy, I felt pretty good about it. We are going to give it another go tonight. I didn't seem to have any trouble picking her up and holding her nor did things start to worry me until she got around 25%. That's when the stacks started to get high and healers started paying less attention to the tanks and more to the screwups in the raid. All in all, it was a good first run & I will be trying to make some of the changes others here have suggested.
    Last edited by Hegas; 11-01-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Spelling.....

Sindy soft mode is mostly a mechanics fight, and you should be able to tank the fight if you play it right (like, don't go over 5/6 stacks) with a 245-251 gear, given the 30% buffs and the removal of chill of the throne that should help a bit too.

Sindy hard mode requires significant gear to be able to tank her sometimes extreme damage, and yes, she's in a different league than the rest of the instance, and LK is a notch above her as well.

+ Reply to Thread