+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DK PvP in Cataclysm

DK PvP in Cataclysm

So, thought to start a thread for Death Knight PvP in Cataclysm. I decided to make one of my characters PvP only in Cataclysm, and i'm almost sure it will be my DK since he is almost 80 and i would like some melee class. Since i don't have much experience with this class and arenas, i would like to hear how do you think DKs will perform in Cata PvP, Frost DW mostly since it's my favourite spec...talent tree suggestions for lvl 85 are welcome!

maybe it'll be different at 85 but everyone ive talked to said 2h frost was better in pvp then DW(was thinkin about actually gettin the 1h pvp weapons and trying it out,but people have told me 2h was better)

but meh,i dont know.im half tempted to re roll my dk come cataclysm

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0hZGcRrcuRd0uo is the build im currently using but its 2h
    Last edited by PimpJuice4; 10-29-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Yeah i also heard 2H is better than DW, since you 2 or 3 shot lower geared players. So if i go frost i will most likely be 2H if things don't change, but unholy looks good with Anti-magic zone and improved Anti-magic shell, also you can grab some talents from frost in tier 2. Blood could be fun for BGs since you can survive a lot.
    That's good build for lvl 80, but im not sure for lvl 85 - should i spend some points left in blood or unholy...

Level 85 frost DK pvp on the beta

Looks nice, but it's vs. warrior and destro lock only, although they are pretty sick atm!

Yeah, there isnt much else to pick and choose from about beta pvp videos atm.

So what combinations you think will work good in cata?

My friend is leveling a mage for pvp, and i know dk and mage can do very well, but not sure for 2v2, think that combo needs a good healer...

Impossible to tell atm, Ret/DK/rogue looks to be viable tbh. (*derp recuperate nerf*)

Though with a 10% MS, huge HP pools, every class having great healing. Im not sure if were going to be asking "What comps work?" As the list will be too big.

I think Were going to be asking "What comps DONT work with a DK?"

Quote Originally Posted by cocolove View Post
    if i go frost i will most likely be 2H if things don't change, but unholy looks good with Anti-magic zone and improved Anti-magic shell, also you can grab some talents from frost in tier 2.
    I think frost will get some changes - its basically shadowfrost 2.0 at the moment, with RE giving you even more frost runes to spam howling blast with. And since Blizzard destroyed the first IT spam spec, they'll probably do the same to the new HB spam spec.

Dont play Dual wield ANYTHING. EVER. please >_>
    Also, if youre really set on frost, you should consider subspeccing into blood (unholy for RI is a viable option, however getting 30 seconds off of your strangulate CD isnt something that you can discount completely, especially now that with the glyph of strangulate it has an even longer lockout time). It depends on what you want to do/how you play. As a Frost dk, a large majority of your time is going to be spent mindlessly spamming damage. If thats what you like, more power to you. However, you should consider speccing into Unholy. It has and in my opinion always will be the strongest DK pvp spec not necessarily only for the damage that it provides (we got a huge damage buff in 4.0.1), but for the amazing survivability as well as the great team utility AND better cc/lockout than frost. We got a new spell that empowers our ghoul pet (which is, in and of itself, a great thing to have that frost doesnt have) and gives our pet a 6 second stun, a charge that acts like a hunter pet's pin (which also interrupts spellcasting), AND a cleave that can crit upwards of 4.7k in CURRENT GEAR. Yeah, these little buggers hit hard. Also, our ghoul is almost impossible to kill now with death knights being able to spam death coils into their pet for anywhere from 17-25k heals PER DEATH COIL. Its great stuff.
    Also, even though both specs get to use our necrotic strike ability, it just seems to fit in better with the way that unholy works, especially since it costs the same runes as our main strike, scourge strike.

Overall, frost is just a cheesy spec which doesnt even outshine unholy to the degree that everybody says it does. Its not wrath of the global king anymore, survivability is better than damage output. Unholy gives better survivability. Period.
    Frost may be able to do more damage, but when your team mates are getting spammed into by the new god of arena (the frost mage) along with his other hogwarts hat wearing partner, youre really going to wish that you had an AMZ to throw down, just saying.

I, for one, have been playing unholy since season 5...and will continue to do so.

meh

ive been pvping as unholy lately.because i have no clue what a good lvl 85 2h frost pvp spec is(if anyone knows one,would be cool if you could post it),but i dont know i think i like frost better then unholy in pvp

DK is damn strong at the moment. We'll see how it works out once everyone has collected some resilience but for the moment expect a lot (!) of DKs in the top tier arena comps / teams.

Quote Originally Posted by PimpJuice4 View Post
    meh

ive been pvping as unholy lately.because i have no clue what a good lvl 85 2h frost pvp spec is(if anyone knows one,would be cool if you could post it),but i dont know i think i like frost better then unholy in pvp
    BG fun: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jbh0bZ...d0ub:maMqcVzm0
    In BGs it's awesome to spam howling blast for the AoE slow and damage. Having disease protection and rime isn't that great because you're mostly gonna be howling blasting. I picked up hand of doom because there's no point going deep into unholy because the talents just aren't that great for just killing people in BGs.

Arena/Serious PvP: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jZGcRrfuRz0ubGb:maMqcVzm0
    Disease protection>Shorter CD on strangulate. The reason for this is you're gonna wanna use chains of ice when it actually matters because it's 10% slower than chillblains. Obliterate is also gonna be your main source of your damage so you need diseases up. In actual PvP you can't afford to howling blast that much because once people start getting real PvP gear, you're gonna NEED CC and you don't wanna break it. Having an AoE slow that doesn't break CC helps a lot too. Also you can drop the points in on a pale horse for chillblains if you really want to.

But as someone said earlier, if you want to be competitive you pretty much need to play unholy. Better defenses, more on demand burst (gargoyle, unholy frenzy, and dark transformation) and pet stun.
    Last edited by Symph; 12-15-2010 at 10:17 AM.

hmm looked up some stuff, i realy havent done any pvp since season 6, so fiddle with this spec any ideas if it can be improved?
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0bZG0...odfo:sVk0MczmM

actually atm DW frost is very viable in 2v2 arenas, i have not tried it in anything else but it works very well for me, and then there is always bashel over on the EU servers shes got around a 2500 rating in 2v2 with DW frost, this is the spec i use and suggest if you want to go the DW route

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jbh0bZ...dczd:Mac0oV0mz

it does really good dont use oblit either its a waste of runes atm

now what will happen with the upcoming changes to dk's im not sure, but this spec works good atm

Quote Originally Posted by Broske View Post
    Dont play Dual wield ANYTHING. EVER. please >_>
    Also, if youre really set on frost, you should consider subspeccing into blood (unholy for RI is a viable option, however getting 30 seconds off of your strangulate CD isnt something that you can discount completely, especially now that with the glyph of strangulate it has an even longer lockout time). It depends on what you want to do/how you play. As a Frost dk, a large majority of your time is going to be spent mindlessly spamming damage. If thats what you like, more power to you. However, you should consider speccing into Unholy. It has and in my opinion always will be the strongest DK pvp spec not necessarily only for the damage that it provides (we got a huge damage buff in 4.0.1), but for the amazing survivability as well as the great team utility AND better cc/lockout than frost. We got a new spell that empowers our ghoul pet (which is, in and of itself, a great thing to have that frost doesnt have) and gives our pet a 6 second stun, a charge that acts like a hunter pet's pin (which also interrupts spellcasting), AND a cleave that can crit upwards of 4.7k in CURRENT GEAR. Yeah, these little buggers hit hard. Also, our ghoul is almost impossible to kill now with death knights being able to spam death coils into their pet for anywhere from 17-25k heals PER DEATH COIL. Its great stuff.
    Also, even though both specs get to use our necrotic strike ability, it just seems to fit in better with the way that unholy works, especially since it costs the same runes as our main strike, scourge strike.

Overall, frost is just a cheesy spec which doesnt even outshine unholy to the degree that everybody says it does. Its not wrath of the global king anymore, survivability is better than damage output. Unholy gives better survivability. Period.
    Frost may be able to do more damage, but when your team mates are getting spammed into by the new god of arena (the frost mage) along with his other hogwarts hat wearing partner, youre really going to wish that you had an AMZ to throw down, just saying.

I, for one, have been playing unholy since season 5...and will continue to do so.
    Boy, aren't you going to be pissed when they nerf Unholy.

Guess what no more Dual wield for you, thus no more DC spam.

Wonder how long before you switch to frost?

Side note: I'm at 15k sustainable dps in 5 man dungeons. And a friend of mine can sustain 20k+ raid in frost with dual wield. My highest crit in 5 man heroic was 46k, my friend hits 50-80k with dual wield.

A lot of changes going through for DK's you may want to read about.

Nerfing Unholy is just one of them. (which is the only negative)
    The other changes are positive and I have high hopes for.

Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    actually atm DW frost is very viable in 2v2 arenas, i have not tried it in anything else but it works very well for me, and then there is always bashel over on the EU servers shes got around a 2500 rating in 2v2 with DW frost, this is the spec i use and suggest if you want to go the DW route

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jbh0bZ...dczd:Mac0oV0mz

it does really good dont use oblit either its a waste of runes atm

now what will happen with the upcoming changes to dk's im not sure, but this spec works good atm
    wow, don't use oblit, I never thought I'd hear someone say that until now.

Oblit is frost's bread and butter. It's the hail mary damage dealer for frost DK. And it's nearly spammable with the right setup.

I suppose you don't stack haste as high as I do?

you'll never hit 50-80k crits without using oblit

I'm not saying; I'm just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Symph View Post
    BG fun: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jbh0bZ...d0ub:maMqcVzm0
    In BGs it's awesome to spam howling blast for the AoE slow and damage. Having disease protection and rime isn't that great because you're mostly gonna be howling blasting. I picked up hand of doom because there's no point going deep into unholy because the talents just aren't that great for just killing people in BGs.

Arena/Serious PvP: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jZGcRrfuRz0ubGb:maMqcVzm0
    Disease protection>Shorter CD on strangulate. The reason for this is you're gonna wanna use chains of ice when it actually matters because it's 10% slower than chillblains. Obliterate is also gonna be your main source of your damage so you need diseases up. In actual PvP you can't afford to howling blast that much because once people start getting real PvP gear, you're gonna NEED CC and you don't wanna break it. Having an AoE slow that doesn't break CC helps a lot too. Also you can drop the points in on a pale horse for chillblains if you really want to.

But as someone said earlier, if you want to be competitive you pretty much need to play unholy. Better defenses, more on demand burst (gargoyle, unholy frenzy, and dark transformation) and pet stun.
    People will call me stupid for saying this, but;

Blood DK > Frost and unholy in a 1 on 1 confrontation.

Unholy can't dish out the damage fast enough to take down a Blood DK, and while frost can, In the end Frost has little to no heal what so ever. Don't think lichborne will save you against a blood DK. Especially one who knows what they are doing.

Blood DK ultimately has the best survivability over any spec a DK has, and can kill any class in the game 1 on 1 under the right circumstances. I wish I could say the same for frost. But until you fight a Frost mage in an arena you won't know what I'm talking about.

And finally to the OP:

Frost PVP is the hardest thing you will ever learn to do. 2h DW it makes no difference what you use, damage over time makes either relatively the same.

I've been pvp'ing in frost for 3 months strait now, and I still have problems dealing with certain aspects of PVP. And it's mainly (my opinion) is that frost DK's are crippled in pvp.

I can't help but laugh at people who say oh just spam HB and everything is peachy.

Noone considers the effect of the rune system has: 2 HB's is 8k damage at best unless you score a lucky 10k crit. Then what?

10 second CD for the next one. What do you do now?

Oh I guess you actually have to use other skills to win the day.

Good luck fighting out numbered, that is the worst thing that can happen to a frost DK.

The 2nd worse is the fact casting classes now have silences, stuns, dazes that lock down your GCD where you can't use any skills what so ever. Including Trinkets, buffs and the like.

A frost DK who can't attack a target is a dead frost DK.

Don't believe me, go duel a frost mage 1 on 1 in frost, and watch how long you last against a frost mage who knows what they are doing.

If you last longer than 30 seconds I'll be shocked.

I'll be impressed if you can even break the mages shield with 2 HB's. Considering that's about all you will be able to do.

at least, that's what I face daily in bg's and arenas.

Maybe others are more lucky than I am.

Good luck to the OP I do not envy the mountain you have yet to climb, I'm still stuck 10 feet off the bottom of the cliff.

WOW... flame much Rapier?

Both Frost and Unholy do great damage. This thread was made a long time ago and has gotten off topic. This is also the PvP forum, please refrain from talk about PvE Rapier.

+ Reply to Thread