+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death Knight Tanking in 4.0: Questions on gems and gear

Death Knight Tanking in 4.0: Questions on gems and gear

My DK recently hit 80 and I am working on gearing to tank. I've been looking at some of the gear in the Triumph and Frost vendors and have noticed that the DPS Plate now has higher Stam than the Tank Plate. I am pretty sure that Stamina is always the number one Tanking stat, regardless of class. Considering what little I know about DK tanking, I was wondering if it was more worthwhile to purchase and aim for DPS Plate and then Reforge and Gem towards avoidance? I have read that Blizz is looking to re-establish the concept of avoidance in Cata and I figure that I might as well get used to it?

PS-I apologize in advance for posting this if there has already been a discussion started.
    Certainty of death; small chance of success...What are we waiting for?!?

Well in theory yes. A major problem comes when you go to reforge. When you reforge you can only reforge only a portion (i believe 45%) of 1 stat. So if you take the dps plate with 100 crit and 100 hit, and a tank piece with 100 dodge and 100 parry. The dps piece can only be reforged to 100 crit, 55 hit and 45 parry so you would lose out on 145 combined avoidance rating. With the current state of RS this would imo greatly hamper proccing rumic empowerment through the use of RS which very well could hamper your "rotation" and thus negating the extra threat gained with the dps stats.
    Another point is that only tank gear has the extra armor which is still a HUGE part of the tanking stats tree. Refer to the many EH discussions on this site. Most notably would be http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...g-mechanics%29 .
    Now i won't say that picking up a piece of dps plate that is a huge upgrade in stam is bad, i.e. still have blue boots with 100 stam and going to dps boots with lets say 200 stam, but I would definitely not waste JP, rolls (unless its a guild run and no one needs), or any other gear currency that your guild might use.

The armor concept was one thing that I had considered. Armor is certainly a huge portion of mitigation. The other was that avoidance concept and RS, among other things. I think that I need to go with the tank gear, as you said. Would you suggest saving the JPs or spending them now to pass the time?

Also, in regards to Haste, should I shoot for some of this as well in order to speed up the CD on my Runes?
    Last edited by Bigdangerous; 10-27-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Addition
    Certainty of death; small chance of success...What are we waiting for?!?

Trinkets Revisited

Is The Black Heart still better than some of the higher level tanking trinkets such as Ick's Rotting thumb and the Corroded Skeleton Key?

TO bidangerous:
    As far as spending JP it's all up to you and what you want to do before cata which is only a month away. You could run mass heroics and get some tier and off tear gear and raid some icc to pass the time, or just run mass heroics to save up JP and not raid icc.
    As far as haste goes for refreshing your runes I wouldn't do it at all. I personally hate dk dps, but my good friend that does play dk dps has to stack a ton of haste before he noticed a difference in the refresh rate.

to acidfromhell: Yes TBH > ick's thumb and CSC. If the 3 trinkets you listed are your options i would go with TBH and CSK. You can even get the 245 vendor armor trinket to switch out with TBH depending on the fight.

+ Reply to Thread