+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Armor

Question about Armor

Yesterday the question was raised to me by a guildy on how armor works. He was curious if the damage reduction was decided by your toons lvl or by the targets hitting you. I first thought it was completely dependent on your lvl, otherwise for low lvl mobs everyone would be at armor cap including clothies. However that would mean a lvl 60 with 66% damage reduction would take the same size hits as me despite having half as much armor, which does not make sense. Basically I really don't know how exactly it does work and was curious if anybody had a quick answer for this or perhaps the equation? Does it just change with mobs that are much higher lvl than yourself? Sorry if this is a noob question.
    He who is afraid to lose will never win.
    Only when the power of love overcomes the worlds love of power, will mankind know peace.

It is based on the level of the mob hitting you. So yes, a high level player fighting very low level mobs can easily become armor capped. .
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

So is the 75% cap for bosses or is that really just for a lvl 80 atm and we can't actually reduce more than say 70% damage off a boss mob for example?
    Only when the power of love overcomes the worlds love of power, will mankind know peace.

It's not a dumb question and it reminded me that in the patch note there was this little sucker

Armor - The amount of bonus Armor received per stat point on items has been drastically reduced, and Armor is no longer given by Agility. In addition, Armor now better mitigates differences among Armor types so that protection from mail, leather, and cloth is much closer to that of plate.

So there are differences between mail,leather, cloth and plate armor mitigation but its now much closer??
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Your armor can only provide a maximum of 75% damage reduction from any attack from any level of attacker.
    This is true for both physical attacks and magical ones (via resistance).

Things such as stance bonuses (Defensive stance's 10% damage redux) reduce damage seperately from Armor.
    Last edited by Andenthal; 10-26-2010 at 10:13 AM.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

http://rehfeld.us/wow/damage-reduction.html <-- One stop shop for all your mitigation math needs.

I believe that's out of date, and that this is the latest best info: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27303...e-intentional/

Thanks for the link swelt, really good info. If 75% damage reduction is the armor cap, is the armor cap for a lvl 83 mob now something like 67.7% according to those formulas? Or could you get more armor than the 45,697.5 armor required to hit the cap to bring the boss damage reduction up to 75% as well? I know those armor numbers are now unrealistic but if you go over the armor cap even though you only take 75% damage reduction on lvl 80 mobs can the extra armor help you vs boss mobs since you wont be near the 75% for them at that point in time?

Edit: Nvm that is how it works, thanks to alents link I see that now. Thanks for the info everyone.
    Last edited by ironsides; 10-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Armor cap is always 75%. To cap armor out against a raid boss you used to need 49600(ish) armor (i was so close, 47600 raid buffed *sniff*). That ~4000 extra armor would not help against level 80 mobs though.

75% is the hard cap on how much reduction you can receive, and is eternal. =)

The damage reduction from armor varies with level (i.e. you need more armor at a higher level to get the same reduction %), but there is a level difference factor in the damage taken formula. Higher level mobs get increased damage values against you, and lower levels do less damage.

The cap is the cap though (not that you're likely to hit it nowadays). =)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Ya I see that now, I am fairly certain after looking at some numbers that armor is worth slightly less stam now in EH terms. For example 1000 armor on average say from 30k to 31k used to decrease the damage we took by 2.07% ish now it's only 1.88%. I think the math has been done on tankadin by theck. And by decrease in damage I mean actual damage we take, not damage reduction.

Furthermore Armor cap is now actually at 65,205 armor.

+ Reply to Thread