+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new to tanking

Quote Originally Posted by CD82 View Post
    i dont want to get into a random and upset a bunch of people. but ive got to learn some how what whould be the best way to do this?
    Don't be scared. Just macro "New tank, please be patient." Pop the macro when everyone has zoned in, and proceed at YOUR pace. If the dps is antsy, that's their issue. Just remember that once the dungeon is done, you get a relatively instant queue and they have a wait. If you get a good group, keep running together. (Example: I'm a piss poor healer. Well, I was. Now, I'm pretty good at it, (on my druid, who I leveled basically resto in LFG), and unless tanks are being dumb (an increasing number, now that I'm in Northrend and level 77), we make it thru. If something happens, I remind the tank that I'm not a 6k geared druid, and I don't play one on TV. I remember a DK tank pulling the entire front room in UK, taking twice his health in damage in 2 seconds and then blaming me. The rest of the group was pretty quick to call him an ass.

To work on threat generation, I tend to grab my hubby and my kid and wander into the wilds and tell them to go ***** to the wall, while I taunt back, and try to maintain threat.

Any thing w/ a mana bar or that casts fear should be killed first. After that (there's an after?) most stuff is already dead.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

last night i had a fail as i feel it i was tanking a random. with my aunt a hunter and my uncle a shammy as dps. there was a priest healer i think and a rouge as dps. well he decided to try an run the show. i lost aggro alot to him and my aunts pet. she said i never lost aggro but it kept saying losing aggro on my screen. she had a dino as a pet i told her it wasnt a good pet to run in a random. i dont know but all i know is hunters need to control there pets

is there any suggestions to issues such as thease?

The best fixes for threat are to work on your rotation and ensure your spec is correct. Unfortunately at your level you do not have full access to the whole bag of tricks, ensure you are following this rotation

HoR/CS, x, HoR/CS, x, HoR/CS, ShoR

HoR/cs= Hammer of the righteous or crusader strike, use HoR on multi targets and CS for single.
    x= Judgement, Avenger's Shield, Holy Wrath, Consecrate- use whatever is off cooldown in the order listed

Also What glyph slots are available to you? I.e. how many prime, how many major

I would reccomend hands down to get glyph of hammer of the righteous it will be a significant boost to your aoe threat.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

Quote Originally Posted by CD82 View Post
    last night i had a fail as i feel it i was tanking a random. with my aunt a hunter and my uncle a shammy as dps. there was a priest healer i think and a rouge as dps. well he decided to try an run the show. i lost aggro alot to him and my aunts pet. she said i never lost aggro but it kept saying losing aggro on my screen. she had a dino as a pet i told her it wasnt a good pet to run in a random. i dont know but all i know is hunters need to control there pets

is there any suggestions to issues such as thease?
    Losing aggro is not the same as lost aggro. Make sure she had "growl" turned off. She can run any pet she wants. As for the rogue, jerkwad dps is jerkwad dps.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

i ment by losing aggro that i lost it sorry i didnt specifiy

as for glyphs i have 1 prime and 1 major and 1 minor to use now in my prime glyph.
    i do have hammer of the righteous
    and in the major i have holy wrath and nothing in the minor

so my rotation should be this ?
    for multi targets it should be HoR/C S judement? then AS HW and Con

other problems im havingi s mana issues and recharge issues of the spells

new to tanking

Your first priority is Shield of the Righteous...however, only when you have three holy power. That means three Hammer of the Rigteous or three Crusaders Strikes because the are the only abilities that build holy power. The share a cooldown so you can only use one or the other. Just swap them depending on single target or multiple-target. They also have a cd longer than the global cooldown. Do not, for example, press crusader strike and then wait for it to be ready again. Always use another ability between each one.

Single target
    Cs- judge - cs - as - cs - sotr - (start over) cs - etc

The cs stays and sotr stay. The ones in between (judge/as) will just depend on what's available.

Cs or hotr should be every second ability. Sotr should be used on every three holy power. Other than that, it's awareness of what you need most and what is not on cd.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

ok well im back to playing my pally some more. level 61 i have not tried tanking anymore been trying to level. what are some good weapons i could use at this level range and also some armor. the glyphs i have prime are SOT and HOTR major are lay on hands and holy wrath and the minor is blessing of the might now i seen the skull flame shield but its a pain to get any other suggestions? what about one hander weapon now? here is my armor link http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...t&cn=Coolpally

CD82, I love the enthusiasm but don't overthink this. Right now everyone is learning the class. No offense here but lots of what you are asking can be figured out via trial and error. If you make a mistake no one will die, you just start over and move on. If it was your fault say sorry and keep pulling. Also You are leveling currently, hop in a 5 man and tank....that is how you learn. I've done a blog about it and many others have as well. Just TANK...that is how you learn. While questions are great learning on the fly will teach you more than 10 peoples opinions will ever.

As for losing threat, make sure you mark the kill order in a group of more than a few. That way most the DPS knows what you want them to do. At lower levels people are just trying to kill groups fast some are new to the game some are new to the class.

As for weapon, go with the best one you can. No need at this point to seek one out. Str and agi based weapons both offer some threat (agi = crit and dodge) and (str = ap and parry) as for the build, there is no perfect build right now at lower levels, hell there is no perfect build at 80 either...lol

Careful w/conc on smaller packs of mobs. Its a huge mana hog and HotR and Holy Wrath work well for AoE pulls. Rested Xp will go away fast in an instance you are killing mobs in huge pulls fast.

Also, go back and level your professions, mining = stam and eng will get you a nice helm or two in the very near future.

BTW gear looks great, in nagrand there is a quest that will net you a pretty nice tanking weapon in the next level or two.
    Last edited by Chasey; 12-01-2010 at 02:25 PM.

ok as i stated i have not done any tanking anymore right now. just trying to level him so i have not done any big pulls. but as soon as i walk out in a small fight i loose my rested xp. heck ive not even rany any randoms. since before 4.03 and when i do its bad luck. and when i do run a no one sticks together everyone goes hog wild. ive been working on my roation alot. and it does me well im using cs/judge/cs/as/cs/sotr an start over. seems to work out well on single targets. i have no big issues downing elites or mobs couple lvls higher than me. ive gotten some more glyphs and just got a decent pair of legs. i had mail legs untill yesterday. the helm i have is kinda poor but im working on that.

now i seen in a video where the guy was using the roatation i am. and he said ignore grand crusader when it pops up. is that true and if so why is that?

at level 62 my expertise is 13 when i got my buffs. is that ok or should it be a bit higher than that?

+ Reply to Thread