I think 1/2 of it is that what you can and can not depend upon litterally makes or breaks the encounter. A naked/untalented player has a 94.4% chance to NOT receive a critical blow on a boss on any given swing. That's a pretty high number. Outside of WoW, if I told you you had a 94.4% chance of something good hapening, you'd pretty much consider that a sure thing. It's that (relatively) small 5.6% chance that hoses us when it does indeed happen. That's why previously, we geared for a minimum amount of Defense (or now we make sure we spend a few talent points in 1 specific talent). We're removing an element we can not depend on, nor predict. (In early levels of TBC/WotLK gearing, we even did this at the cost of other stats)
Originally Posted by Satorri
With 60% avoidance you have a 21.6% chance to avoid 3 swings in a row (to NOT get hit 3x in a row). Avoiding 3, 4 or any number of attacks in a row doens't make a huge difference in the outcome of a fight. But the inverse - a 6.4% chance of eating 3 swings in a row - might infact change the encounter beyond recovery (you wipe).
And the other 1/2 of it is just semantics I think - which is both a blessing and a curse. That's why we correct people that say "Avoidance" but mean "Mitigation". When delving deeper into WoW theory, it's important to note the differenes in terminology and how they effect different parts of the game. I do think we use "bad" and "good" much too often, and at the wrong times though. Avoidance is not "bad", it's just not as "good" as other stats in many situations.
Last edited by Andenthal; 10-28-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Reason: math fail
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.