+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking and macros

Tanking and macros

Hey all!
    So I researched a slightest bit and I found that the 939 rotation works well for my pally, well so I made a macro out of it. Errr, made isnt a good word since Im really bad with them, I copied it from a post I saw on the internet

Anyways, it has me go HoR Judge HoR (taunt/Hand of Reckoning) HoR ShotR.
    Is there ANY way possible that there could be a macro made so that when Sacred Duty is NOT up, I use Word of Glory, and when it is up, I use ShotR?

Also; is there a way I can make a macro (if the above fails) so that I can use WoG when my health is below 50%, and use ShotR when it is above 50?
    Thanks!

No, you can't make macros based on conditions.

The best advice I can give you is to ditch the macros and learn the rotation. There will be situations where you don't want to follow it exactly.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

First off the rotation is wrong. Secondly CS hits harder than HoR on a single target, especially with procs now and needing to track HS uptime a macro is a terrible way to go about it.

This should be your rotation

CS>x>CS>x>CS>ShoR

now if judgement is off cd before SHoR and you do not have SD up then use that to try and force the proc.

X is obviously the remainder of our abilities and this is the priority order
    Judge
    Avenger's Shield
    Holy Wrath/Consecrate(based off condition, if you know the mob being tanked wont be moving anytime soon, then consecrate has a higher priority.)

As far as word of glory vs ShoR, its fairly simple, keeping HS up is your top priority so when using WoG at all you are breaking down the rotation and using one or the other with less than 3 holy power.

Also, you should never ever ever ever ever ever have your Taunt (HoR) in a macro. You save that for emergencies only, say one of the five mobs you're tanking got away and is running for that hunter. Use your damaging abilities to hold threat, and only use HoR if you lose it.

PS - the reason why is because is Taunts don't increase your threat if you're already the highest on the mob's threat table. They only work when someone else is higher than you on the threat table, and it leapfrogs you over everyone to put you at the top. But if you're already at the top it doesn't add anymore.

Now, HoR is an exception since it also does a little dmg (adding threat), unlike the other tanks' taunts, but not enough to be worth including in a rotation at the expense of both HoR's 8s cooldown and a global cooldown. Pallys have enough damaging abilities to fill a rotation that uses all available GCD's without throwing taunts in too.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 10-24-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    Now, HoR is an exception since it also does a little dmg.
    Only if you dont have threat already :-)

So back to you original "you should never ever ever ever ever ever " and add a few more ever's in ^_^
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

969 is broken now. Also NEVER macro your taunt to anything your going to use in your rotation. They become taunt imune and your screwed. I use to use tons of macros but I'm down to one now. I have /focus macro'd to my 4 mouse button. I use it to quickly toss focus on the dps that is climbing the fastest on threat. Then I have /cast salv focus target on 5 button on the mouse to quickly take some threat off them.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    you should never ever ever ever ever ever have your Taunt (HoR) in a macro.
    qfe.

I don't know how on earth this horrible idea keeps resurfacing to misinform new tanks, new paladin tanks particularly. It boggles the mind.

But anyway, yeah, taunts are for swapping threat with another tank, or to get threat back on something after you lost threat. That's it, those are the only times you use taunt, and you do it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by uglybbtoo View Post
    Only if you dont have threat already :-)

So back to you original "you should never ever ever ever ever ever " and add a few more ever's in ^_^
    The damage portion was taken out in 4.0.1
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

+ Reply to Thread