+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about being Unhittable

Question about being Unhittable

Hello,

For 2weeks or so I've been trying to find an answer for one, simple question.

If Dodge+Parry+Block+Miss(boss)=102,4% or more does it mean that I'm really unhittable? I know that Crushing Blow doesn't exist anymore so term uncrushable is kind of overdated (of course considering only raid bosses).
    I've found info at many forums, that now, in WotLK, 102,4% means that every attack performed by a raid boss will by either dodged, parried or blocked (or simply missed).

Is this statement matematically correct?

*if there are any gramatic mistakes in this post, please forgive me, I'm not a native english speaker.

here's a quote from my gear guide, hope it helps answer your question:

IX. Passive Unhittable Set

Important Note: The "Passive Unhittable" set means that your combined avoidance/block chance, without shield block active, and after diminishing returns, is at or above 102.4%. A cool little trick is to create a macro with this script ingame (thanks to Satrina for this, you can find it and more here):
    Originally Posted by Satrina
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 102.4%% - you have %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5 + 1/(0.0625 + 0.956/(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/4.91850*0.04))))
    "Unhittable" doesn't mean you dodge/parry/miss every hit... it means that without using shield block, every thing that you don't dodge/parry/miss will still be a blocked attack. Obviously, that doesn't help much when the boss is hitting you for 20k, as even with critical block up you're only going to be blocking around 3k at most. So, admittedly, this "Unhittable" set doesn't have much use in raids (perhaps with the exception of Loatheb, kiting zombies on Gluth, etc). It is NOT a trash set. Why include it here then? Well, the set is awesome for soloing old content. And it's great for AOE farming. Basically, you become invulnerable to anything that hits you with less than 2-3k physical damage per attack. **update** with the Anub adds mechanic, a warrior in an unhittable set with decent block value is awesome for reducing the damage taken by the add tank!
    "Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

~ Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Allahdin View Post
    If Dodge+Parry+Block+Miss(boss)=102,4% or more does it mean that I'm really unhittable? I know that Crushing Blow doesn't exist anymore so term uncrushable is kind of overdated (of course considering only raid bosses).
    I've found info at many forums, that now, in WotLK, 102,4% means that every attack performed by a raid boss will by either dodged, parried or blocked (or simply missed). Is this statement matematically correct?
    So, yes. 100% miss+dodge+parry+block plus 0.8% per level the target is above you (102.4% for raid bosses/83's which is the highest you can come across), will mean the only damage you take is through blocked hits and unavoidable damage (like spells, bleeds, and certain special attacks with flags so they cannot be avoided).
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Hooray for easy answers!
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

It took me a while to wrap my head around this when I first heard of it also.
    You have to stop thinking of "hit" in real world terms, and think of it how it applies to the combat table.

Being unhittable would reduce the combat table this:
    Miss
    Dodge
    Parry
    Block

But as we all know - and was stated above - blocks rarely completely absorb all the damage from any mob of relevance.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

So, considering mechanisms you described guys, stacking dodge+parry is much better than block (btw I'm a pally tank, so I've got +30% Block from HS), is that right?

Is stacking enormous amounts of dodge and parry a good idea? What about block then? Should I really drop items with block for ones with dodge and parry even though they have e.g. lower ilvl or not so great other stats?

Or, maybe, in WotLK, there is no reason for stacking avoidance+mitigation to 102,4% and I should rather focus on enlarging my HP because it gives more survivability?

I'm gonna answer these questions, but you'll have to look around for the reasons for the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allahdin View Post
    So, considering mechanisms you described guys, stacking dodge+parry is much better than block (btw I'm a pally tank, so I've got +30% Block from HS), is that right?
    Yes.
    Is stacking enormous amounts of dodge and parry a good idea? What about block then? Should I really drop items with block for ones with dodge and parry even though they have e.g. lower ilvl or not so great other stats?
    No.
    Or, maybe, in WotLK, there is no reason for stacking avoidance+mitigation to 102,4% and I should rather focus on enlarging my HP because it gives more survivability?
    Correct, though armor is good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Up to WotLK, Sta > Armour > Avoidance.

Block Value and rating is next to useless in Raids.

In Cata, Block rating might be King for tanks with shield anyway. Otherwise EH might still be king.

When does Avoidance beat Sta? When you feel lucky or have been unlucky.
    If lately while progressing, you die alot due to parry-hasted hits. Getting more Expertise might help.
    If lately while progressing, you die alot due to consecutive large melee hits and die even when using CDs, Dodge trinkets might help.

Finally
    If lately while progressing, you die alot due to being the last (few) alive, Stacking more (or even better) healers/players might help.
    Last edited by Eyeofskadi; 08-25-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeofskadi View Post
    When does Avoidance beat Sta?
    when nerubian burrowers are involved.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

I wouldn't say stam > armor, it depends on the fight and how much stam and armor you're talking about. I'll actually take armor with slightly less overall EHP value than stam since it also increases effective healing per second.

For more on this, read: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...king-mechanics)
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Is this macro still valid. I've been digging around the forums the past week seeing where everything was going with the Parry/Dodge/Mastery changes.

I went through and worked on reforging some gear to bring mastery up and bring dodge/parry to about 20%. When I was done I was very surprised to see that the macro only registers me with 83.25%. Well below 102.4. Did I miss something along the way? Any help I could get would be great.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...beard&n=Auyana

Just logged out so might take a few minutes for the armory to update.

I'm not sure I'm ready to undo all my reforging yet, but I might have to I suppose.

Thanks

The macro is correct, you have 20.15(dodge)+20.12(parry)+37.98(block)+5(base miss) = 83.25%

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatme View Post
    Oh, dear...

Here I was hoping we could ignore the nerubian burrowers!

I guess I better start piecing together a set to deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    The macro is correct, you have 20.15(dodge)+20.12(parry)+37.98(block)+5(base miss) = 83.25%
    The macro still calls for defense tho. What would a cleaner macro without that look like?

Quote Originally Posted by mistersix View Post
    The macro still calls for defense tho. What would a cleaner macro without that look like?
    Code:
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 102.4%% - you have  %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5))
    Paladins can use the following macro as they have holy shield up all the time:

Code:
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 102.4%% - you have  %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5 + 15))
    Last edited by Fetzie; 10-24-2010 at 10:11 AM.

and what about things like the nelf quickness racial? Just change the +5 to +7?

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatme View Post
    Nah, that ship sailed with the coming of 4.0.1, block doesn't really do anything special against those these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersix View Post
    and what about things like the nelf quickness racial? Just change the +5 to +7?
    either that or add 2

That was historic and as it says untouchable not unhittable unfortunately no way to avoid all damage anymore. Try soloing Gruul since 4.01 and see what happens to you :=) You have to be able to heal to solo stuff now cause even a level 1 will and can hit you just not for very much.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

+ Reply to Thread