+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Frost DPS is... wow.

Frost DPS is... wow.

So, I searched and couldn't find any threads talking about this, so if there are already I apologize, and feel free to delete this and ban me for stupidity. With that said...

Did you know that Frost DKs are quite possibly the most OP DPS spec in the game right now? I know that I'm pretty decently geared, and that Cata will come along and make a good portion of our AoE DPS useless... but wow. If you have a DK, go spec Frost and enjoy it while we have it. My guild Raids on Fridays, and one week to the next, I moved from 3rd-4th on the DPS charts in ICC10 behind a Boomkin, a Ret Pally, and a heavily Geared Rogue, to 1st by 2k easily. My single target is just slightly behind the Boomkin now, but my AoE is... insane. 20k on trash.

And don't even get me going on 5man Heroics. Frost DKs are a Tank's worst nightmare. Howling Blast is easily the most overpowered ability in the game right now. I've run maybe 40 Randoms since the patch, and I have yet to be in a group where I didn't double the next Highest DPS on the chart.

Anyway, I realize I'm coming off like a snobbish jerk now, so I will go ahead and ask a couple questions to see if anyone has experimented around yet... Does anyone know if Unholy is any good right now? Also, do any other Frost DKs prefer Two-Handers to DW? I've specced both and found DW to be slightly higher for me, but I'd be curious if others are having the same results.

I tanked against a frost dk last night who was pulling 10-15k on trash, and 8-10k on bosses in Gun'Drak. I maintained aggro on the group, but only because the instant the DK pulled a mob off me, it was dead anyway.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    I went Unholy, the same fights in heroic I did 6-7k DPS on as 2H frost I did 9-10k DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Yeah, frost DK dps is pretty sick right now. My gs is only 4600 (for reference of gear only) and I was pulling 15K on trash in Heroic PoS last night and just over 6K on bosses. I think the boss fights are low due to low quality weps (lvl 219 weps from normal HoR). That is quite a bit more than I was able to do before the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Toushiro View Post
    I went Unholy, the same fights in heroic I did 6-7k DPS on as 2H frost I did 9-10k DPS.
    Can you throw me a link to a spec plz Toush I am have finally got around to playing with my 2 DK's atm but I really hate unholy the whole pet thing annoys the crud out of me coming from an old blood dps background .. I don't play a hunter for that reason :=)

Both DK's have tank spec's as primary but I do like to have viable dps spec's on them as usually filling in raid spots with them.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

It was good at single targets before the patch as well I think but it is as you said now a bit OP on AoE since they removed the CD on HB. Even more so in 5 mans than raids since mobs dont live so long and our burst is extremely good. Before the patch I could on a good day do 6-7k total throughout a dungeon. After min 8k, max maybe 11k, depending on which dungeon but its hard finding tanks who can hold things.

On larger trashpacks numbers above 20k isnt unusual, no matter if its a short or long fight. HOWEVER, AoE really doesnt matter and never has. On boss fights I'd say we are about where we were before the patch (at least at my gear level).

Frost AoE is broken right now (in a good way, so expect a nerf). Single target is about the same as it was before the patch, maybe a little better or a little worse depending on your procs.

Unholy is quite good and possibly a tad better at single target DPS.

I am personally blaming toushiro for this but I unintentionally upset many a tank in cross realm last night using his spec.

What single target? it hits everything and if your tank is average you end up tanking everything which is not a real issue just pisses tanks off.

Yes the AOE splash damage is out of control and I now see it is this DK spec that has cause me a few issues with tanking.

I do like this spec over unholy because I hate pets so expecting to peeve many more tanks >.<

BTW: Reforged all my crit to make hit cap, make expertise cap and then everything left into mastery. My AOE splash damage is now officially uncontrolable proportions I am so going to have rename my toon after having some fun for next few days the tanks will see me and kick me :-)
    Last edited by uglybbtoo; 10-21-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Can you guys provide links to this spec you are all ravign about. I would love to try it out. One other thing have you had to change the rotation post patch very much from the pre-patch rotation.

Thank you

Is this build you guys are talking about ?
    http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#j0hZM...fz0b:MamcMmcMm

This is my baby DK alt on oceanic server

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rfang&cn=Ubbdk

It is almost untankable setup like that will do 7-8K in almost any heroic alot of fun but pisses tanks off :-)

EDIT: Should add in I got background detail of what to do from
    http://manaflask.com/Daniie/blog/4905/

spec: (which i think is same as yves gives above)
    http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#j0hZGc0rfuRzbu0b:amM0

and stat weighting given in that:
    The stat weights for 2H are:

Hit (until 8% ) > Expertise (until 200 rating) > Strength > Mastery > Haste > Crit > Agility > Spell Hit
    Last edited by uglybbtoo; 10-24-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by penademuerte View Post
    Can you guys provide links to this spec you are all ravign about. I would love to try it out. One other thing have you had to change the rotation post patch very much from the pre-patch rotation.
    I'm using the current one from EJ and yes the "rotation" is different. It was a priority system before the patch and is even more so now. What has made the big change is the fact that HB no longer has a cooldown. Since it hits harder than IT you dont use IT to apply frost fever anymore and the added "bonus" is that if you have a few mobs it does some serious numbers. This is also why some tanks have big issues holding all the mobs. Bear tanks I have found to have the biggest issues but then again they are very good on single targets. I ran FoS yesterday and did 11k total (as in over the whole dungeon) which is way too much if you ask me. I would be surprised if blizz didnt either lower the damage from HB or put a short cd on it again. But then again this doesnt really affect the more important fights (raid boss fights).

I got to melee dps in stead of tank on my DK last night, and Frost does some serious damage. Melee dps just isn't my strong suit, since I think too much like tank and get myself killed a lot, but on the "we'll attack from behind" adds the come into the Fest/Rot hallway, I did 25k with HB, DnD and BB. It was just sick.

All night Frost Strike was critting for around 15 - 20k, Icy Touch was critting for around 10k and Obliterate was critting for around 15 - 20k. I can only imagine what this DK could do in the hands of someone who knows what the hell they're doing as a melee dps.

If you are a decently geared dps, you can tank most heroics in frost also (in blood presence though). Because of HB you'll have everything absolutely glued to you and its kinda fun to do say 8k as a tank. Just make sure your healer knows about it since the damage is pretty spiky but with 35-40k hp since the patch its not too risky. I do this in pugs sometimes if I see I have a good healer and ppl are pretty amused :-)

Im not sure if this is the correct slot to post this in but, i cannot get over 3-4k buffed in raids...hos is it that peopel are getting 20k. i know its gear and rotation some but ...i have never heard of that. i am still a "newbie" in a sense. i have been playing for a bout 1.5 yrs on wow but some things are eluding me. any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneJacobs View Post
    Im not sure if this is the correct slot to post this in but, i cannot get over 3-4k buffed in raids...hos is it that peopel are getting 20k. i know its gear and rotation some but ...i have never heard of that. i am still a "newbie" in a sense. i have been playing for a bout 1.5 yrs on wow but some things are eluding me. any help would be appreciated.
    Well my 25k is a bit misleading since it's not single target it was mob pack so DnD, HB and BB do sick damage. On single target, i was doing around 9k dps in 10 man. Surfang was around 9k, which on that fight is not great for a dps, but I'm not very good at melee dps, I just dont' do it that much. It's a matter of gear, talents and priority.

DnD then get your diseases on the target, spread them around (if multi-mob), Froststrike like mad, use Obliterate when it comes up, HB whenever you get the chance and have fun.

There are many on here who know the priorities much better then I do.

Grab a 2 hander use the spec above and reforge any crit on gear to make sure u are hit capped and expertise capped reforge any remaining crit to mastery.

You can use a addon like CL-DK to help with your priority rotation .

As you can see from an average heroic run its like half your damage normal hits are 4K-7.5K crits which for me is 20% of time are 8.3K-15K.

Edit: I should also say I am pretty crap as a dps'er .. I much prefer being a tank but even I can manage frost dps.

Thats a geared grp run thru H-HOS so my dps is down a bit from normal because of the event it just happened to be on my screen ;-)

This is what makes tanking for this spec so hard you need to be prepared to tank half the crap at all times so make sure you have icebound fort and am shield somewhere handy on toolbar

howlingblastdmg.jpg

EDIT and incase you thought the group wasnt geared here is the damage off last boss the mage pulls 11K. As you can see the dps damage from frost is relatively flat one target or many.

lastboss.jpg
    Last edited by uglybbtoo; 10-25-2010 at 08:42 AM.

well, i will agree frost is a great spec, i lvoe it and have used it since i hit 80 on my dk, but, unholy, in my opinion has also gotten much better. i dont have a comparison for the two, but in nax i hit 10.5k in unholy on a boss were we didnt need to move. and my gs is only 5.5k.

Not disagreeing unholy has good dps in raid it also has some unique diseases etc as well. It's is by it's nature with the pet etc a bit more complicated to play and in heroics it's actually lower dps because your disease ghoul etc don't get time to work.

Part of this has turned to how much fun can you have in heroics which basically involves how much nuking can you do.

I should say mind you I got a run at LK at a pug saved 11/12 on this guy and was doing 10K but I have no idea what it would pull as unholy in same gear. They failed to down him
    but that was a group issue.

Since the dps guide here isnt updated I would recomend you to read:

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t105701-frost_dps_cataclysm_countdown/

Thinga that are important are:
    - Spec (which is easier now with the smaller trees but make sure you grab the abilities you need depending on if you one or two weapons).
    - Using slow one handers if DWing.
    - Gemming all strength after the meta gems are set.
    - Reforging hit/exp to mastery after the soft caps are reached.
    - Reforging crit to mastery for both specs and haste to mastery also in some cases for DW.
    - The priority list (instead of a set rotation)
    Last edited by PatrikL; 10-26-2010 at 02:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread