+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood Craze, useless?

Blood Craze

I was under the impression that blood craze proced on taking any damage however doing some old school instances it's not procing at all, so I'm just wondering do we have any numbers on just how useful it is and whether it's even worth taking in a raid spec.
    Last edited by IKT; 10-28-2010 at 11:55 PM.

It's not essential pre Cata. It procs all the time but due to the crazy dumbness that is WotLK healing it will most likely go into overheal.

I've already got a taste of Cata healing and healers will try to avoid overheal and will have to take it easy so all self heal tank abilities will be appreciated.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    It's not essential pre Cata. It procs all the time.
    Yeah you're right, in a heroic it was doing an average of 300hps which is nice but the healer never dipped below 80% mana and I never dipped below 90% hp, and that was on a boss where the healer had disconnected.

So I guess it's useful for questing, is it useful for raiding?

Free heals at the cost of (essentially) nothing? Yeah, it's useful in raiding.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

I concur.
    I don't see anything super awesome I'd have to skip in favour of the two healing talents.

But for the time being in the land of the Soul Reaper it isn't essential. I have it and I even use it in my DPS spec.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Love the talent.

There are a couple probably answers to why, when running old content, you weren't seeing it:
    1.) There is a flag linked to attacker level where stuff that is far behind you in level won't trigger it.
    2.) It does not tick when you are at full health, several HoTs used to do this, but it was done away with in late WotLK for the healers. Perhaps this did not get that treatment, and I'm guessing your health wasn't dipping much?
    (3.) Your UI just wasn't showing it?)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I saw it proc quite a bit last night in our ICC 25 and RS raids. Last night we had tanks dying left and right on trash pulls due to lack of healing and that made seeing Blood Craze last full duration much easier.

In Cata it'll be pretty important, because it:
    a) reduces the amount of damage healers need to heal
    b) smooths damage out a little
    c) makes questing as prot feel godlike

For now, it's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt either, and I like to feel like I'm doing *something* to benefit my healers.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Some players are thinking it's working only on "hits". I.E. not blocked attacks.
    I haven't seen any formal testing on it yet, but players do notice that it procs much more often in their DPS gear than in their tanking gear.

Also - if you're going back to a lower level instance, you have extra Avoidance and Block chance over what your character sheet says. Doing a level 60 instance as a level 80, you have an extra 12% Avoidance over what your charcter sheet displays (+4% for each Miss/Dodge/Parry.) Also 4% more block. That's 12% less chance to proc a talent like Blood Craze regardless, and up to 16% if it only procs on "hits".

It's quite easy to become blocked capped against lower level mobs. If it truely does work only on "hits" and not "any damage received", then it's likely to not work well against lower level mobs.
    Would be pretty easy to test I would think. Get a block capped set and go get beat on for a while. If it only works off of "hit" then you shouldn't see any procs on a mob that uses only melee abilities. (pretty sure spells always "hit" if you take damage from them).

Some players are also seeing that it does not proc off of DoT crits - which should only be an issue in PvP.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

I expect I'll take it when I have more talent points available. At 80, it's a toss up between a couple other talents, and decided I could live without it for the moment; but by no means did I dismiss it as worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Andenthal View Post
    Some players are thinking it's working only on "hits". I.E. not blocked attacks.
    I haven't seen any formal testing on it yet, but players do notice that it procs much more often in their DPS gear than in their tanking gear.
    Anyone taken the time to look into this yet?

I paid attention to the healing I received from Blood Craze for the first time last night in a 10 man VOA. The other prot warrior recieved about 3x as much healing from Blood Craze than I did. His block percentage on the char sheet is about 10% below mine. I wish I had logged the pull, but I was just wondering if it was a coincidence or if Adenthal is on to something.

Good for leveling and at lvl 85, scrap it now I'd say (ok, decent for old-school stuff at the moment I guess, doesn't really make a difference in the current raids).

+ Reply to Thread