Thread: Lich King Fight: Are the Valkyrs Faster Now?

Lich King Fight: Are the Valkyrs Faster Now?

I saw the other 10 ICC Normal LK thread posted below, but rather than try to ninja his ask for help I decided to start one of my own.

The Setup:
    Warrior-MT (73k health)
    Paladin- OT (73k health)

Unholy DK (averages 6500-7k dps)
    Arms Warrior (Who's been told she should go back to Fury? Averages 5-6k)

Shadow Priest (averages 6500-7k dps)
    Destro Warlock (averages 7-7500 dps)
    Marksmanship Hunter with Wolf (depending on necrotic will average 6000-7k dps, still trying to see how to maximize her more)

Resto Shaman
    Resto Druid
    Holy Paladin

Phase 1: Piece of cake, I figured out how to keep the trash on me to take out shamblings, DPS seems fine.

Phase 1.5: Necrotic plague issues diminishing, raging spirits handled well, I always grab the last raging before Phase 2. Sometimes have issues of new ice balls spawn JUST as we move back to the platform

Phase 2:
    Valk comes down, all CC/stun goes off (should we have a sequence[frost trap, chains, hammer, hamstring, shackles]?), Valk could care less (down 1 DPS or heal), do we REALLY need a rogue instead of the warrior to control stuns? Still having issues with party focusing on killing the last raging I am tanking before the defile (forgot about netherweave nets, I'll have the tailors add that to the repertoire). Warrior is working on taking multiple soul reapers, I will use hand of sacrifice to give him a 3rd absorb (thanks for that tip)...

Is our DPS high enough? Everyone is in mostly 264 gear (which is now pushed back due to not being able to raid 10/25 at the same time since this week, but that's another story).

So close to completing this encounter, even after losing our raid lock on Tuesday...all other thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by cybercrusader; 10-19-2010 at 09:01 AM.

You have a stun and holy wrath, you have a DK who can chain it, a hunter who has at least 1 stun and frost trap, a priest who can slow it, a holy paladin who prob has 2 stuns, a dps warrior who can hamstring and if need should have a macro to stance dance and stun, a druid who can slow it, the shaman can slow it and the warrior main tank if need could charge or shockwave or conc blow it given you should all be stacked on each other.

And you want more ways to slow or stun it????

Infact in your group the lock is I think the only one who cant slow or stun it.

As for LK you can simply rotate the tanks after each soul reaper the other tank isnt exactly busy.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Well most have told me I need a rogue to complete the encounter (which I don't believe).

I guess more of my question is we hit everything at once in terms of slows and the Valk flies away as if we weren't there...are certain abilities overriding others?

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrusader View Post
    Well most have told me I need a rogue to complete the encounter (which I don't believe).

I guess more of my question is we hit everything at once in terms of slows and the Valk flies away as if we weren't there...are certain abilities overriding others?
    You have to be careful not to get it immune to a group .. thats just make sure not everyone is bashing it continually. I haven't checked but I assume it can be still made immune to stuns for example if they overdo it

Is this 10-normal or 10-heroic?

Normal bov this is follow on from a prev thread.

If i was you I'd just have the Spriest use Mind Flay on it and the DK cast chains over and over. Everyone else should just nuke it.

Your DPS sounds a little low considering your gear levels, although still certainly high enough to complete the encounter.

We usually only use chains in our kills and rarely if ever have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrusader View Post
    Your prot warrior can do the stuns himself just fine. A conc blow, shockwave, and charge for each valk. Have 1 person assigned to slowing the valk (i'd say DK chains) and a backup in case that person is picked up. No one but them should put any slow up, the rest just focus on dps. With the raid in 264 gear @ 30% buff, you guys should be annihilating them if everyone is doing their job.

Oh...and make ABSOLUTELY sure you don't have the entire raid blowing all their stuns on the valkyr at once. The raid needs to understand (atleast somewhat) how diminishing returns work on stuns, so you need to space them out and use the longest stuns possible. Prot warrior stuns are just fine for 10man, especially since we have a bonus stun which isnt on any DR (charge).
    Last edited by Dragaan; 10-20-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Here's a question:

How do you properly handle 1st Valk followed by Defile? It seems that by the time you get steady dps starting, defile just drops and wipes everyone. What is the strategy here? The one time we survived defile/valk - it took half the raid with it. Then the second valk came and swooped up a healer. Needless to say, bittersweet progress...

You will occasionally get valk and defiled very close togther if the timers say they are together assume defiled because the timers are based on valk appearance as per your combat log. The valk wont go active for like 2-3 sec after it appears if you noticed it sort of hovers and defiled cast is quite long so it's not possible for them both to be up together but they can be close.

I rarely do the timer calling because I am tank but the person calling defiled and valk needs to be clear which is going to be first.

Lich King Fight: Are the Valkyrs Faster Now?

Not as far as I can tell, seems the same to me.

Quick note: Chains of Ice does literally nothing. Valk'yrs cannot be slowed past 50%. As a result, chains lasts about 4 seconds - not a reliable slow.

Your best bet is to have your Hunter immediately concussive shot while your warrior does Concussive Blow + Shockwave. Destruction warlock can also shadowfury if need be.

Quick note: Chains of Ice does literally nothing. Valk'yrs cannot be slowed past 50%. As a result, chains lasts about 4 seconds - not a reliable slow.
    Even though chains has been changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    Even though chains has been changed?
    o.O sorry, hadn't been brought up to date with that one. If you keep Chains of Ice on the target at all times, then yes, it would be an okay slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post
    May be only 4 sec, but it's a slow so it's spammable and I don't understand why it's unreliable; the Valk are stun immune after three, so unless they're dead (and they should be on 10 normal) you need slows. Or did things change with the patch, if they didn I didn't notice on Friday, but was on my hunter not my DK. Scatter Shot was actually useful as a long range impediment.

Too me, it does seem as though the Valk's are faster thought, probably noticed by someone mentioning it in the raid. I bet they're not actually faster now.

Your group seems as though they are more then capable of slowing the valk, so I wouldn't see any problems. Just need to focus a bit more on slowing that valk, and burning it down.

I think the Valk's acceleration increased. Their top speed seems to be the same, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

I've found that generally if DPS is on the ball and starts nuking the valk right away, and if you can stun it twice and keep it slowed between stuns, they're cake to take out.

Yeah there's some if's in there, but fairly reasonable ones.