+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Prot Warrior] WTF!!?!!

The ability to acquire gold is infinite. The ability to re-acquire stat points to shift around is not.

This thread really helped me out. Keep it up!

I've always loved the bonus armor. WarTotem in another thread said he used a 6 armor ~ 1 stamina, but I have no idea how you would come up with that one giving the value of armor & stamina changes relative to the amounts you have of each other.

For example, would I trade Gauntlets of the Kraken or Pillars of Might for some of the starter BS crafted greens?

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    WarTotem in another thread said he used a 6 armor ~ 1 stamina, but I have no idea how you would come up with that one ...
    It's based on TankPoints actually. If you see how much TP you gain from 1 Stamina, it gives you the same increase on roughly 6 armor.
    If you use Burst Time (my BT armor values were not checked at that time), it would be relatively equal, because BT considers damage reduction vs healing better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

It's worth noting that although this appears to be a necro thread, bonus armor isn't nearly as viable as it used to be. Cataclysm seemed to change the item budget cost of Armor upward quite a bit--doing some like-to-like comparison seems to indicate that you only get 4 armor per 1 rating now, or 4 armor per 1.5 stamina in item budget terms.

This doesn't seem to be enough to make armor better than anything else right now--in fact, it seems to be quite a bit weaker than Stamina currently.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

They mentioned an intent to bring the armor values of all armor types closer together. I wouldn't be surprised if that rating adjustment was part of how they did it.

Could have been a side effect of that, indeed. Either way, bonus armor is a lot less attractive than it used to be. It's actually hard to see bonus armor on a trinket, for instance, standing up very well to a Stamina trinket of the same ilevel.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiyama View Post
    Could have been a side effect of that, indeed. Either way, bonus armor is a lot less attractive than it used to be. It's actually hard to see bonus armor on a trinket, for instance, standing up very well to a Stamina trinket of the same ilevel.
    That's true if you're still using Effective Health as your measuring stick. I haven't been in raids yet (we're scheduled to start in January), but my understanding is that we're focused currently more on reducing damage, rather than survivability (except on Nefarian). Armor doesn't increase survivability as much as Stamina per item budget currently, but it does reduce damage intake, which stamina does not. In that way, it's the only stat that both increases survivability (though not as much as stamina) and reduces damage intake (though not as much as avoidance). It's sort of a jack of all trades stat.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Yeah, but currently the Armor on newer items isn't even remotely close to that of the Stamina trinkets. I mean, we're talking 10% in some cases. So, if I can get 90% more EH from a Stamina trinket and almost as much average mitgation from a Dodge proc or Use effect on the Stamina trinket, it seems like a better bet all-around.

What I'm mostly curious to is if they will go back and re-nerf the older armor items. Good comparison:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=54591
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=58182

See the problem there? Almost 80 ilevels lower and still has double the armor.

Oh absolutely. I'm still using the Unidentifiable Organ in my tanking set, because it's 1890 armor, I believe, which comes out to 1.3% mitigation at my gear level, which is super nice. I fully expect it will get nerfed (fixed) soon, and then I'll have to switch to a stam or avoidance trinket, depending on which boss I'm fighting.

I just wanted to point out that Armor is not only EH, and people are still used to thinking of it only as an EH tool.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Blizz has a terrifically hard time itemizing trinkets. Trinkets start off weak and then ramp up in power as raid tiers manifest. It happened with Styleen's Impeding Scarab from vanilla to bc. It's happening now with the trinkets Jayde mentioned. Styleen's was eventually wrecked (though more through mechanics change than anything else) I'm sure blizz will tweak the values this time to wreck the older stuff (since a mechanics change is what's motivating the older stuff to be better atm).

+ Reply to Thread