+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Embarrassed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragaan View Post
    I believe one of, if not the, most important thing when it comes to threat issues is learning to tweak your gear. The rotation is simple enough. If you really have tried every possible rotation/prioritysystem/etc, then maybe you should put a little more thought into gear. I'm more anal than almost anyone I've ever played with when it comes to gear and min/maxing, and it's definitely worked to my advantage. When you start a run, look who you're with. Inspect them. If it's an overgeared group, toss some dps gear. If they're severely overgeared (inc healer), put on ALL dps gear (except for the weapon/shield, of course). Know what lv mobs you will be tanking and adjust your hit/expertise appropriately. Swap glyphs if need be.

With 4.0 came 1 critical change to warrior threat - We no longer have the bursty and sustained threat of thunderclap to just glue things to us. You will HAVE to tab target on pulls with more than 3 mobs, and probably on pulls with more than 2 as well. Learn when to leave a mob that's being killed and start building aggro on other targets (so that it dies before anyone gets killed from aggro). Learn to stun a target, smack the other targets, then come back and taunt the initial target before the stun wears off. When cata comes out, cc will probably be used a lot in 5mans (at least for the first tier or so) and in raids, but for right now there is no need. The BEST way to learn to be an effective tank is by being tossed in the deep end and tanking for players or groups who make your job very hard. At least this is my personal opinion. Just make sure you're doing everything possible to remedy your aggro problems, and keep at it. All this game takes is practice.
    I really disagree with the gear min-maxxing. I think right now I have 5% hit and 18 expertise. While I should probably close those up a bit, I'm not having trouble holding aggro. I think ability usage is and organization of pulls is far more important than gearing.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

The BEST way to learn to be an effective tank is by being tossed in the deep end and tanking for players or groups who make your job very hard. At least this is my personal opinion. Just make sure you're doing everything possible to remedy your aggro problems, and keep at it. All this game takes is practice.
    HoR really becomes Horrible... Practice is good advice... practice as tank, and practice for dps to hold back... even 3 secs till you get off that thunderclap is all that i usually ask of them...

vigilance on highest dps agro stealer, instant taunt refreshed when he gets hit, also good tool...

since most dps have been buffed up, with trash fights in heroics not lasting more than 10secs, kinda hard to practice...
    now with icc trash mobs, this becomes good practice for both tanks and dps, for dps to hold back a little as the tanks establish agro lead...

but play it safe on 25man, do 3 tanks for trash mobs, easiest on everybody...

This weekend I drank the cool aid and entered the nightmare world that is WoW Honor Farming *shudder*

What it got me was a nice slow one hander with a boatload of stam and a blue socket. I had to reforge it a bit to no great effect but still: one of the best tanking weapons in the game atm if you are worried about threat.

If you are worried about HoR: don't
    In a pug you can assume this is going to be ugly. For instance I'm making it a point NEVER to tank the ranged dwarf mobs if there is some sort of viable CC in the group. They are easily CCable and you have to cope with THE nastiest trash in the whole game(even worse than Bloodwing trash).
    If you are doing one of the old olololroflstomp heroics then here is a bit of advice. One trash pull at a time. Plan your pulls. Do you remember those packs in HoS right before the Maid of "not as bad as her trash"? I pull them around the corner into the cave. Even although my warrior is fully equipped in 264 stuff.
    Same goes for the room of death right before Loken.
    Same goes for spider trash right at the start of OK(the casters do damage based on your HP so a couple of them WILL kill ya).

One planned pull at a time. If DPS pulls just make sure you stay out of combat.

Even although I take it slow and propably add 2-5 minutes to the run I repeatedly get commended for my tanking. No risk involved and smooth sailing which should make anybody happy. Rush if you feel safe to, pull carefully if you don't Don't let the group set the pace or you are paste.

And even if it doesn't work out: even one HoR trash won't kill a DPS as long as the healer is free to do his thing. If I screw up I also have mobs all over the place. Don't have to hold them all at all of the time.

Tidy Plates/Threat Plates and set the name plates of non-elite mobs to as small as possible. That's what I do.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

One planned pull at a time. If DPS pulls just make sure you stay out of combat.
    agreed on part one, rofl on part two... and only if the mob is easily disposed off that i let the dps handle it... else i'll be right in the middle tclap, conc blow, shockwave when i have them available, less they blame me failed tank....

+ Reply to Thread