+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need help

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    Upon further discussion with my guild mate, it's not as simple as I mentioned above. Chimera Shot still costs about double the focus of Arcane without doing double the damage, so he was saying that currently it pretty much only makes sense to use Chimera to keep up Serpent Sting, and otherwise just SS, SS, AS, AS, SS, SS etc.
    This is true and one of the big problems I have with where hunters are at at the moment. In my opinion all three specs currently play the same in far too many ways. In all three specs, your best bet (or most consistent?) for dps is to spam steady shot and then unload with arcane shot, hitting serpent when its running low. With the current heavy reliance on steady shot I'm not going to be surprised to see many hunters struggling to keep pace with the tanks on movement intensive fights. Makes me sad. When the expansion comes out I may have to retire my hunter and make my shaman my main.

Quote Originally Posted by swollenpickles View Post
    This is true and one of the big problems I have with where hunters are at at the moment. In my opinion all three specs currently play the same in far too many ways. In all three specs, your best bet (or most consistent?) for dps is to spam steady shot and then unload with arcane shot, hitting serpent when its running low. With the current heavy reliance on steady shot I'm not going to be surprised to see many hunters struggling to keep pace with the tanks on movement intensive fights. Makes me sad. When the expansion comes out I may have to retire my hunter and make my shaman my main.
    Keep in mind that Aspect of the Fox will make a huge difference.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Upon further discussion with my guildmate, it's not as simple as I mentioned above. Chimera Shot still costs about double the focus of Arcane without doing double the damage, so he was saying that currently it pretty much only makes sense to use Chimera to keep up Serpent Sting, and otherwise just SS, SS, AS, AS, SS, SS etc.
    Reev, I wasn't kidding when i said before that chimera wasn't worth its focus at all before the supposed buff, its BARELY worth it now that it has been "buffed" being that is the marksmanship hunters shining attack (or used to be) the fact that is has a 10 second cooldown on top of a 44 focus cost makes me say it should be hitting/critting for 2x what it has been since the patch. And i figured out part of the reason our dps is feeling "clunky" so to speak. They reduced the GCD for the hunter class to 1 second, where it used to be 1.5 seconds, and now steady shot is still a 1.5 second cast which is whats causing the clipping problem. our other shots are ready to go before the SS is actually even fired.... >.<

I have been totaly avoiding my hunter for the sad dps he puts out with the new focus system. But what I did do is try to use the runeforge system and bump everything I can into haste. My thought behind it was if steady shot is a filler and focus filler why not try to increase your haste to fill up you focus bar that much faster. I have done zero testing on Dummies ... but just a thought if anyone want's to put the time into it.

Yea, for the time being my hunter is on the bench, been spending way more time playing my dk and priest until something gets fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Brigandy View Post
    Yea, for the time being my hunter is on the bench, been spending way more time playing my dk and priest until something gets fixed
    I'm determined to make it work and my dps is getting better as I understand it more, but it still feels clunky - it's like "oh, hurry, I have focus let me get an Explosive Shot off, oh, damn, now I can't fire Black Arrow - but wait, if I fire Black Arrow I can't give a Kill Command just yet...." Having to make those type of trade offs in the middle of a fight, leads more to an "ah, screw it, I'll just spam a few Arcane Shots...."

And, to me MM is just broken really, bad - what good is Chim Shot if SS is falling off because of Focus and Chim Shot Cool down - "oh, I hope I have some Focus when the Chim Shot/Serpent Sting Planets align."

One way to fix this is to maybe make Focus Reg a bit more generous. Right now there's no rhythm to the shots.

I need help

One thing I cannot help but notice is most ranged DPS revolves around 2 abilities with the rest as filler depending on the situations. For example, maybe we are meant to use Steady Shot + AS as our bread and butter and only use Chimera to refresh SS, or when you need to DPS on the move. This would explain why these "signature" abilities only hit marginally harder that SShot and AS, as they take in account the down time to regen Focus.

Are we not just trying to overcomplicate things? I know when I started playing my hunter with this mindset, things like Global CD and overall chunkiness went away and my DPS increased quite a bit.

The same way people realized using most AOE abilities are not really worth it unless you have 4+ mobs.

My 2 cents on this.
    Reality is a matter of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
    One thing I cannot help but notice is most ranged DPS revolves around 2 abilities with the rest as filler depending on the situations. For example, maybe we are meant to use Steady Shot + AS as our bread and butter and only use Chimera to refresh SS, or when you need to DPS on the move. This would explain why these "signature" abilities only hit marginally harder that SShot and AS, as they take in account the down time to regen Focus.

Are we not just trying to overcomplicate things? I know when I started playing my hunter with this mindset, things like Global CD and overall chunkiness went away and my DPS increased quite a bit.

The same way people realized using most AOE abilities are not really worth it unless you have 4+ mobs.

My 2 cents on this.
    Why would they turn our 31 pt. Special ability into just a lame way to refresh serpent sting? Why even use it at all if that's the case, it would be more efficient to just manually refresh SpS since chimera shot doesn't gain a dmg boost from hitting a target affected by sps anymore anyway. IMHO they should remove the 10 second CD on Chimera if they don't plan on boosting the dmg output from it, since it's obviously not a spammable shot costing 44 focus, the only reason it required a CD before was on a mana based system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigandy View Post
    Why would they turn our 31 pt. Special ability into just a lame way to refresh serpent sting? Why even use it at all if that's the case, it would be more efficient to just manually refresh SpS since chimera shot doesn't gain a dmg boost from hitting a target affected by sps anymore anyway. IMHO they should remove the 10 second CD on Chimera if they don't plan on boosting the dmg output from it, since it's obviously not a spammable shot costing 44 focus, the only reason it required a CD before was on a mana based system.
    For the same reason shadow priests get a lame mana cooldown and fury warriors get the ability to hold different weapons instead of an interesting usable ability.

Refreshing SS with CS means you get more damage in that GCD that you otherwise wouldn't have. It's useful, but it probably should do a bit more damage.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

For the same reason shadow priests get a lame mana cooldown and fury warriors get the ability to hold different weapons instead of an interesting usable ability.

Refreshing SS with CS means you get more damage in that GCD that you otherwise wouldn't have. It's useful, but it probably should do a bit more damage.
    I don't mind the lame mana cooldown with my shadow priest quite honestly, we have a TON of mana generating abilities to the point that is you run out of mana as an S Priest you are doing something wrong.I could sit on the dummy and dps for half an hour and not go oom, and still maintain higher dps with it then my hunter atm.

I was running heroics last night.

I went into Violet Hold and started DPSing on my Hunter with my best friend who plays a Feral Druid tank.

We fought the bird guy.

He did 8.8k DPS while I did 7.4k, and that's prolly around the top I can do when DPSing.

He said he barely used any CDs for that.

...I is sad because Hunter is becoming my favorite class with the new changes but the damage just isn't there

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

I strongly suggest you all try Survival for a while. I was hitting 9k avg in ICC, pre-patch. Now, I average 11-12k, with burst for around 14-15k. All 264 gear, lots of haste, and my focus regeneration feels pretty smooth at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Evonin View Post
    I strongly suggest you all try Survival for a while. I was hitting 9k avg in ICC, pre-patch. Now, I average 11-12k, with burst for around 14-15k. All 264 gear, lots of haste, and my focus regeneration feels pretty smooth at this point.
    I expressed this thought earlier - I think Survival is the most forgiving these days and it does some nice dps.

Good guide

+ Reply to Thread