+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Paladin tanking patch 4.0.1 rotation!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, Southwales UK
    Posts
    29

    Paladin tanking patch 4.0.1 rotation!

    Ok so i know this prob isn't the right place to put this but maybe a lovely mod will fix it for me later on :P

    Anyways guys hopefully this may be of some great help to those paladins who are suffering with AoE tanking and single target tanking tps!

    Although some changes have wrecked what we were used to no fear! times have changed and so we must adapt! After spending some time testing these theorys out i've comprised a rotation for AoE tanking and single target tanking that's easy to understand and dead simple.

    Ok so first off when i pull i taunt a single target and dump consc. then if theres stray mobs i pick them up with righteous defense.

    and then the rotation:

    Hammer of the righteous
    Judgment
    Hammer of the righteous
    Holy wrath
    Hammer of the righteous
    Shield of the righteous
    Hammer of the righteous
    Judgment
    Hammer of the righteous
    Avengers shield
    Hammer of the righteous
    Shield of the righteous
    etc.

    This works very well for me and its pretty much the same for single target tanking
    Just change HotR with crusader strike also reminder drop consc every 30 seconds like clock work to help. And if the avengers shield procs don't use it unless it's instead of holy wrath and theres about 3 mobs left.

    you can pick and chose between the placement of holy wrath and avengers shield depending on how many mobs you are AoE tanking, But remember this. Although avengers shield hits for a.. Shit load now. it only hits up to 3 mobs. So i make it my first prio to get most AoE done first.

    Also if you're looking to dump some holy power throw a self heal it's nice for the extra healing but also helps the healers out

    I hope this rotation has helped some of the frustrated tankadins out there!

    good luck and pewpew!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5
    I like it, its smooth im not waiting to get things off CD

    But then again my latency might be what is helping me connecting the dots...

  3. #3
    May want to check about using WoG rather that SHoR for aoe.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,754
    Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle2009 View Post
    May want to check about using WoG rather that SHoR for aoe.
    Nonsense.

    There's two situations. Either the mobs aren't dangerous enough to matter, and WoG won't make a real difference (since the healer's task will be easy either way,) or the mobs will be dangerous, in which case there will be a mark that needs to be burned down first, and thus the need for extra threat on that.
    Hell, I didn't even spec into the Word of Glory talents, I have better places to put my points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    This has been my go for 4.0.1 Pally Tanking.

    My seal of choice has been Seal of Righteousness for AoE and Seal of Truth for Single Target. Because I don't get the chance to get my 5 stack up in an AoE situation because I've been tab-targeting (and the warrior tank rejoice cause we finally understand what they've done all along).

    My Priority has been(ish):
    HotR
    AS
    Judgement
    SotR With atleast and typically only 1 Holy Power (OMG! Let the trolls begin)
    Conc (once everything is together)
    Holy Wrath

    My Single Target tanking has been as thus:
    Seal of Truth, CS to 3 stacks holy power, Shield, AS on CD (remembering procs), Judge. I will also use Conc just for extra threat.

    Remember that Wings and a Defensive CD can now be used at the same time unlike pre 4.0.1 where it invoked a 30 second downtime.

    Learn to Tab Target. I did level a warrior at one time and I have got mates IRL who are prot wars and they tell me all the time to tab target and by god it works!

    Seal of the Righteous changed from last patch... it's now worth a look at and a place on your bar.

    Tab Target

    Holy Wrath damages all targets not just Undead like pre 4.0.1 so it can be useful once things are together if Conc is on CD.


    At the end of the day, pally tanking hasn't lost out in the AoE department, we still have great AoE threat and even better single target threat. Things to look out for is that AoE as a whole is going out of the game, Dead DPS will eventually learn after many wipes what that /assist command does.

    People who spend their time QQing about pally tanks in 4.0.1 are the "awesome uber" tanks from 3.3.5 and pre that spent their entire time with 2 macros attached their mouse wheel going click, click, click while having Seal of Command up... welcome to the real world [of warcraft] n00bs, your days of been 'l33t' with two buttons has ended, time to L2P your class and learn to tank like every other tank class. !!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, Southwales UK
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle2009 View Post
    May want to check about using WoG rather that SHoR for aoe.
    Well WoG isn't really worth it in a raid i mean the healers job is to "Heal" people and also the more dps you get out quick the mobs go down, Thats the way i see it

  7. #7
    <- Noob protadin. What cd should protadins use when we get in trouble, and when? My prot pally is at 71, and I think when I use Divine Shield, it dumps aggro, but I'm not sure. It doesn't say anything about that on the tooltip though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    <- Noob protadin. What cd should protadins use when we get in trouble, and when? My prot pally is at 71, and I think when I use Divine Shield, it dumps aggro, but I'm not sure. It doesn't say anything about that on the tooltip though.
    never use DS! unless you are about to seriously die and there is no other option... DP is its lesser counter part is a better option along with CD's from trinkets and USE: items when/if you get this ability called "Ardent Defender" that is an ability to use for when you are low on health and your healer can't click fast enough to heal you.

    I hope this helps
    Last edited by Tracer; 10-15-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo

  9. #9
    Thanks Tracer, much appreciated. The tooltip on Divine Protection must be broken, though, because it says 'reduces damage by 0% for x seconds'. But thanks, I'll rework my action bars for DP instead of DS. I already have AD in one of my main cd slots.

  10. #10
    The point for the WoG wasnt to heal you. The reason I said it is because of the AoE threat it puts out. I am not sure how it compares to others, but i have heard of people using it for AoE threat rather than SHoR.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle2009 View Post
    The point for the WoG wasnt to heal you. The reason I said it is because of the AoE threat it puts out. I am not sure how it compares to others, but i have heard of people using it for AoE threat rather than SHoR.
    I thought WoG was about using it to over heal to get that shield effect? Any matter its bad enough threatlocks peel like they have a taunt i need the DPS to keep that boss on me. Since omen really dosen't show much of a threat gain then a 20k shield slam
    Last edited by Tracer; 10-17-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: noob statement...

  12. #12
    You say keep the boss on me.. I am talking Aoe pulls, not single target.

    Anyway, it was something I heard on some other forum somewhere (maintankadin maybe?) I hadn't seen any numbers, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JmzRed View Post
    Ok so i know this prob isn't the right place to put this but maybe a lovely mod will fix it for me later on :P

    Anyways guys hopefully this may be of some great help to those paladins who are suffering with AoE tanking and single target tanking tps!

    Although some changes have wrecked what we were used to no fear! times have changed and so we must adapt! After spending some time testing these theorys out i've comprised a rotation for AoE tanking and single target tanking that's easy to understand and dead simple.

    Ok so first off when i pull i taunt a single target and dump consc. then if theres stray mobs i pick them up with righteous defense.

    and then the rotation:

    Hammer of the righteous
    Judgment
    Hammer of the righteous
    Holy wrath
    Hammer of the righteous
    Shield of the righteous
    Hammer of the righteous
    Judgment
    Hammer of the righteous
    Avengers shield
    Hammer of the righteous
    Shield of the righteous
    etc.

    This works very well for me and its pretty much the same for single target tanking
    Just change HotR with crusader strike also reminder drop consc every 30 seconds like clock work to help. And if the avengers shield procs don't use it unless it's instead of holy wrath and theres about 3 mobs left.

    you can pick and chose between the placement of holy wrath and avengers shield depending on how many mobs you are AoE tanking, But remember this. Although avengers shield hits for a.. Shit load now. it only hits up to 3 mobs. So i make it my first prio to get most AoE done first.

    Also if you're looking to dump some holy power throw a self heal it's nice for the extra healing but also helps the healers out

    I hope this rotation has helped some of the frustrated tankadins out there!

    good luck and pewpew!
    Where is your Crusader Strike at in this rotation
    "Dont judge a player by his outter GS"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carthage, MO.
    Posts
    1
    How about a talent link as well. Rotation doesn't mean NEAR as much if you have a few misplaced points.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberated View Post
    Where is your Crusader Strike at in this rotation
    It replaces HotR for single target tanking

    source:
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...wtopic#p593310

    "939 can be modeled as a quasi-static rotation that looks like this:

    CS-J-CS-X-CS-ShoR-"

    You may also need to look at weapon choice if you are going for CS to maximize things

    weapons.jpg

    Edit: Should mention that assumes raid tanking and your target has sunder etc debuffs on it in heroics there is not much between them you might as well stay with hotR.
    Last edited by uglybbtoo; 10-18-2010 at 07:11 PM.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

  16. #16
    WoG is much better than SHoR, it givs you + 15% chance to block and causes aoe aggro. much better than SHoR to do damage and grab aggro from one creep.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by thebestpaladintankever View Post
    WoG is much better than SHoR, it givs you + 15% chance to block and causes aoe aggro. much better than SHoR to do damage and grab aggro from one creep.
    Umm, WoG is a heal. Yes it applies the holy shield buff (+15% block chance), but so does ShoR which is definately going to make more single target threat than WoG. Are you referring to the healing aggro that WoG would generate?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    718
    I am with Akeber and even if was producing threat the whole point is sort of to kill the mobs standing there and healing yourself doesnt really do it for me sorry ... even if I could believe it generated high agro which I seriously doubt.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

  19. #19
    Actually, the main point for a tank is to hold aggro and survive. It is the DPS's job to kill mobs. From what I keep reading and have experienced, WoG is MUCH better AoE threat. I used WoG on trash pulls in ICC the other night. Held aggro much better on multiple mobs than using SHoR.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    718
    This is really stupid.

    1.) So why not stat out healing stats and simply stand there and really heal well for extra AOE threat ... LOL it will make the healers life so much easier.

    2.) As we have commented in other threads almost all dps can tank ICC trash now its trivial and will be even more so as we move forward. Shadow priests make the best ICC trash tanks around because they heal themselves as well as kill it .... so TBH if thats why you are doing lets replace you with a shadow because you are a bad trash tank compared to a shadow.

    3.) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY the threat if it exists will be removed you can count on it because in situations it will cause problems the old Seal of Light from paladins had the exact same effect in naxx days and had to be patched. So relying on a mechanic that is not working as it is intended rather than learn the right way is just crazy.

    Edit: And it took to 1min to google and find GC has already blue posted and slated it for scrapheap.

    QUOTE: (source)http://wowdata.getbuffed.com/bluepos...ic/27026399935
    This is the kind of thing we're still messing around with. We want Protection to be able to use Word of Glory occasionally in emergencies or to help the healers out, but we are aware that if it's too potent, paladins will just tank by healing themselves (either because of threat generation or mana savings).
    Last edited by uglybbtoo; 10-19-2010 at 09:27 AM.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts