+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prot Warrior Threat issues

Def as agg says the theorycraft is in and it works as all of us are reporting.

Worse case run H-FOS and get nighttime it is much better than any tanking weapon you will find.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    get a slow weapon with high top end damage.
    My only concern with this is rage building. Is a slow 1h better for us now than it used to be? Have you tested this? It seems plausable to me to use one. The high end dmg would create bigger hits and therefore generate more threat on hit, but does it actually cause your TPS to go up?

I will run H ICC 5's tonight and see if I can pick up something like Nighttime as uglyb suggested.
    Last edited by kokuou13; 10-19-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kokuou13 View Post
    My only concern with this is rage building. Is a slow 1h better for us now than it used to be? Have you tested this? It seems plausable to me to use one. The high end dmg would create bigger hits and therefore generate more threat on hit, but does it actually cause your TPS to go up?
    Yes, rage is normalized such that you'll receive the same amount whether you're using a slow or fast weapon (though the rage income will be smoother with the fast weapon), but you'll do more damage with Devastate, and correct me if I'm wrong here, Cleave, and HS.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

I haven't really felt a lot of issues with threat either. It feels a little dicier on multi-mob pulls when dps starts to aoe early and I find I need to work to keep a threat lead where before I could /afk 20 seconds into a single target pull but generally, its not bad.

I did run icc last weekend with a fury warrior who outgeared me and insisted on doing max dps instantly, as soon as the pull started. I had gently cautioned him in whispers to moderate his initial threat to no avail. He pulled Saurfang off of me at the start of the encounter and I let him die with my finger resting on the unused taunt keybind. I told him as much after and he /quit the raid. Oh well.

The Nighttime is a good idea, what enchant do you guys recommend for it if I can pick it up tonight? It seems we are going away from defensive stuff and more offensive for the threat. I was wanting Rimefang's claw, but this sounds like a better idea. I was thinking beserking, but it reduces AC too and I don't like that trade off. Now I am thinking Mongoose, but thought I should check here first.

So I went and picked up Nighttime the other day. So far it seems to have worked. I am still working with it but my TPS seems to stay above 8-10k now in Heroics and AOE tanking has gotten easier. I still want to get some more testing in but it defiantely seems to be doing the job. The rage gain is a bit more clunky and not as smooth as it was with Rimefangs Claw but im starting to get used to it.

@Agnum: I was using Rimefangs Claw up until 4.0.1, and I don't know what the rest of these folks have found to be the best enchant, but I still used Bladeward on it.

Ive only had threat issues at the beginning of the pull. Like the first 5 seconds. I moved some of my avoidance to hit/expertise to I hit more often. Also you could try Shield Block then Shield Slam. If it crits, you should have a decent lead on threat.

I also go alot slower in my rotation to not be rage starved. Ive also noticed doing this seemed to make my threat pretty decent. Ill pull 15-35k TPS depending on crit strings.

Makem all bleed, they hate it...

My first v4 spec, I saw the B&T and said rend, WTF?! Needless to say I didn't spec it. I spent the next 5 days struggling with my old methods trying to hold aggro. Then I said, WTF. To make rend so prominent, Blizz must have tweaked my threat as drastically as they tweaked my rage.

So I respecc'd 2 points B&T, started every fight with a charge, rend, TC combo. I haven't had many problems holding mobs since.

I know, I know, the rend description doesn't say squat except that it makes the target bleed. It doesn't even mention threat.

When my target has rend, all the mobs hit by my TC start bleeding too. It really pisses 'em off.

Please try it yourself before explaining how lame rend is.

charge rend TC FTW

One thing that everyone seems to be ignoring is expertise, what is it sitting at? Hit is not as important but is important none the less. I was tanking all off H ICC with 13 expertise and 160 hit until 4.0.1 now im running 243 hit and 30 expertise(with food buff and glyph) and have zero threat issues(other than the wandering ghouls in p1 of H LK) and this includes tanking the 3rd and 4th ragings in the 2nd transition where bloodlust has been popped and dps is going all out switching to the 3rd spirit the second it stops moving.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

Prot Warrior Threat issues

Am I the only one that finds threat easier in this patch? Aoe feels about the same, and only requires a tiny bit more work to do then post patch. Single target threat is stupid easy if you have a md or tricks for the pull if not it's only a little stressful on initial threat but then it just becomes a joke when vengeance kicks in. 5mans are easier then before now that we actually get rage. Other then the initial shock this patch has been a good one.

ICC boss tanking got easier but ICC trash and heroics were definitely harder if you have specific classses fire mages, shadows with VE on, Dk's and fury warriors are the main problems.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

I think Blizz corrected the threat issue some what. The first 2 days after patch I couldnt do any threat at all, but now its no problem. I believe Blizz made an error and corrected it with the emergency patches.

Btw, there has been a lot of emergency patches after 4.01. Guess we are playing a trial game up until Cata. Hope all will be solved by then.
    If the world didn't suck.
    We all fall off...

+ Reply to Thread