+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So we should use slow weapons now?

So we should use slow weapons now?

Since HS and Cleave are no longer "on next attack", we are not loosing threat by using a slow weapon. Slow weapons give bigger Devastates. Am I missing something or we should choose slower weapons given the option?

For example, I have two weapons available, Rimefang's Claw and Frost Giant's Cleaver, now the cleaver is the clear best choice right?

I'm definately glad I'm still using the BQS from Ony, mid-range FTW.
    I'm still working on definitive numbers atm, but yeah, looks like it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Seems to make sense. Unless I am missing something, making everyone of our abilities instant, makes weapon speed in general, moot.

Unless weapon speed controls your GCD....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Need more rage. I can't do that yet. That spell's not ready. Not enough rage.
    Mäcintosh/US/Aggramar/Bloody Rage

The only factor in favour of fast weapons is rage generated through melee swings.

"Rage is being normalized so that its generation is no longer based on damage done by auto-attacks. Each auto-attack will provide a set amount of Rage, with off-hand weapons granting 50% of the rage main-hand weapons do. Haste will allow Rage to generate more rapidly by increasing attack speed."

So a fast weapon will generate more rage... but as tanks we traditionally get more rage from being hit than doing the hitting, so this may not be a good enough reason to use a fast weapon. Might end up being situational...?

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    The only factor in favour of fast weapons is rage generated through melee swings.

"Rage is being normalized so that its generation is no longer based on damage done by auto-attacks. Each auto-attack will provide a set amount of Rage, with off-hand weapons granting 50% of the rage main-hand weapons do. Haste will allow Rage to generate more rapidly by increasing attack speed."

So a fast weapon will generate more rage... but as tanks we traditionally get more rage from being hit than doing the hitting, so this may not be a good enough reason to use a fast weapon. Might end up being situational...?
    I would be deeply surprised if that wasn't normalized to the base weapon speed. So a 2.6 speed weapon might generate 9 rage per swing, and a 1.6 weapon speed might generate 6 rage per swing. Both would generate more threat with haste because their weapon speeds would increase, but not their base weapon speeds, so the rage gain per swing would be the same with more swings. I don't know if I explained that well. It's the sort of thing Blizzard has done with this in the past, though.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Yep, my mistake, you appear to be correct - a quick dummy test shows that a slow hander generates quite a lot more rage per swing than a fast one.

I don't see much point to ever wanting to use a fast weapon again. Devastate obviously hits harder and rend ticks for MUCH more with a slow weapon. I'm really hoping they change the current tank weapons to a 2.6 or so speed, but I'm not counting on it since it's only a problem between 4.0 and Cataclysm's release.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragaan View Post
    I don't see much point to ever wanting to use a fast weapon again. Devastate obviously hits harder and rend ticks for MUCH more with a slow weapon. I'm really hoping they change the current tank weapons to a 2.6 or so speed, but I'm not counting on it since it's only a problem between 4.0 and Cataclysm's release.
    Don't think there is an actual one handed tank wep now. No defense is on it. You can use whatever you pretty much want. I'm going to switch to nighttime from rimefang and see what happens. Yes i'll lose a bit of dodge and parry and strength but I'll gain back dodge from the 52 agility. Gain crit. I'm wondering if the loss in strength will equal out the base damage increase the axe gives over the faster wep.

my 284 mithrios has been in the bag for bloodvenom blade since the patch hit and i see no reason to use it again

Has anybody tested this with the Wrathful Gladiator's Cleaver? It's only 1785 honor and looks pretty good. How is the TPS compared to a fast weapon?

I currently have heroic Facelifter.

I only have Nighttime and Rimefang. Nighttime hits a bit harder on devastates and is a clear winner over rimefang. I see no reason to go back to Rimefang and I won't be looking at a 1.x wep again anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaji View Post
    Has anybody tested this with the Wrathful Gladiator's Cleaver? It's only 1785 honor and looks pretty good. How is the TPS compared to a fast weapon?
    Not tested, but using the heroic frost giant's cleave which is virtually the same gives marked better results. If you don't have access to ICC raid gear, it's probably a smart choice. For those that didn't know, the rating requirement was removed from Arena gear (except the tier 2 weapons and shoulder I think). The vendor/tooltips don't reflect this fact, but even though they say "requires rating of..." you can buy them with no arena team.

I tossed on a slow weapon a few nights ago for LK 25. Went with intervene + a lil more dps oriented talents for tanking LK in phase 1. 10k dps and 30k threat sustained. was fun : ) HS is amazing right now.

Kyt

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    Not tested, but using the heroic frost giant's cleave which is virtually the same gives marked better results. If you don't have access to ICC raid gear, it's probably a smart choice. For those that didn't know, the rating requirement was removed from Arena gear (except the tier 2 weapons and shoulder I think). The vendor/tooltips don't reflect this fact, but even though they say "requires rating of..." you can buy them with no arena team.
    Yeah, ICC runs for me have been too few and have not been lucky enough to get drops on the ones I do. So I picked up the wrath glad slicer (2.6 sword) picked up more attack power and 600 hps with this stat wise and ran a heroic just to see, not bad, just tried to get heroic done and wasn't really looking at numbers, but I really didn't have time to check it. Ran a couple little informal sessions with nighttime over rimefang a day prior to today. Big difference alone in the devastates and heroic strikes. Where the slower wep really did great was in 25 voa. There I could unload, so right now I'm assuming this will be even better since base damage is 50 dps higher than nighttime. Worked my but off in a lot of losing bg's to get it. LoL ally really had teh suck on today.

The T1 Gladiator Sword is exactly what I am saving my honour for at the moment. Slow sword with loads of stamina and a blue socket. Agreed, no defstats on that one, but for my tanking weapon I always accepted some tradeoffs for additional threat generation. I´m pretty sure it will work out fine.

Anyone keep there old broken promise from naxx days. Go tank with it :-)

Funny as crap that a 213 weapon will out threat and dps most ICC weapons.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

I run with the heroic bloodvenom blade reforged for mastery ... 20k heroic strikes ftw

ding*** like that one will have to add to my want list of gear ^-^
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

I'm using Gutbuster from Festergut-10 and rarely have rage issues, seems to put out decent threat. Nice big devastates and HS. With the patch I lost the enchant (blood draining) on my tank weapon, which contributed to the swap. I didn't think about reforging for mastery.

After tanking last week with my normal fast tanking one hander, I've decide to do as most of you seem to have already done, and give one of my slow one handers a go. The 2 choices I have are the 271 Havoc's Call or the Heroic Gutbuster. Even though Havoc's Call is higher dps I think the Heroic Gutbuster will be better. First I'm a dwarf so the 5 expertise from my racial will be nice. It has a socket so I can get more stamina on the weapons and it has hit on it. Plus it has less Agi giving me more 'beneficial' tanking stats. I was already enjoying some of my nice crits with the fast tanking one hander so I can't wait to see how the slower one will be.

+ Reply to Thread