+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reforging

Reforging

I was thinking of swapping my parry stats for some mastery...anyone else doing some reforging? mainly those that are tanking ICC

i haven't stepped into ICC since the patch, but I was noticing threat issues in my 5 man heroic that i randomly queued for, so i reforged a lot of parry to hit/exp until their soft caps, and then went with mastery wherever I could get it.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    i haven't stepped into ICC since the patch, but I was noticing threat issues in my 5 man heroic that i randomly queued for, so i reforged a lot of parry to hit/exp until their soft caps, and then went with mastery wherever I could get it.
    Exactly what I did.
    I didn't has many threat issues in ICC though (compared to 5 mans), Vengeance is seemingly overtuned and I was Shield Of Righteousness critting for 40-75K.

holy crap, i don't think i noticed any gargantuan shield slams yet, but i'll keep a closer eye on it tonight now that i've updated recount. Also in 5 mans, the likelihood of a large stack/max stack of vengeance is very low, in raids it'll be become very apparently right away.

Is mastery functional in the game (just not on gear unless you reforge)?

Quote Originally Posted by Felycitas View Post
    Is mastery functional in the game (just not on gear unless you reforge)?
    With what little I did on my DK last night it appeared it was, once I reforged.

Is prot warrior's mastery really worth it at the moment? I've only ran a few heroics but I haven't noticed any mana issues at all from healers, so do I really want to give up my raw avoidance stats for a double roll avoidance mechanic?. I've been trying to reforge dodge to parry as much as I can to get a better up time on hold the line, but it's no where near enough to add a significant amount of parry (damn DR :[).

Also, anyone else started using slow 1 hand weapons for tanking? I think that improved my threat by a good chunk, though I don't have the maths to show it.

i had no problems holding agro in icc tonight except for the stray add here and there as always right now my toon is at 27 expertise where 26 is what you need for raiding period i also have 8.76% hit when you need exactly 8% or more for raiding without getting an abundance this is after reforging my extra 2% hit into expertise and then for the moment i have also reforged my parry into mastery after that however from looking at procs and everything i would have to say no mastery is not currently worth it because we just cant get enough even with reforging so get your 26 expertise 8%hit and then leave mastery alone. Order of stats to pull from hit if you are over the 8% until you are close say about 8.5% or lower unless it drops you below 8% then pull out of parry for that expertise. hope this helps

Id say keep parry for hold the line uptime and reforge dodge into mastery and parry ... easy, i was seeing 40k+ shield slams last night and i even got some 90k shield slams off with festers buff.

Quote Originally Posted by kasanagi View Post
    Is prot warrior's mastery really worth it at the moment? I've only ran a few heroics but I haven't noticed any mana issues at all from healers, so do I really want to give up my raw avoidance stats for a double roll avoidance mechanic?. I've been trying to reforge dodge to parry as much as I can to get a better up time on hold the line, but it's no where near enough to add a significant amount of parry (damn DR :[).

Also, anyone else started using slow 1 hand weapons for tanking? I think that improved my threat by a good chunk, though I don't have the maths to show it.
    It is currrently not worth it to reforge Mastery as prot warrior; you will lose roughly 0.7% avoidance to get 1% block+crit block when you already have 80% combined block+avoidance.

Mastery will further lower the usefulness of Shield Block..especially since its on a 30s CD that lasts 10 secs....you have shield block up 1/3rd of the fight anyways.

I find it rather useful to get Hit/Exp and leave mastery alone...also since Dodge/Parry similar now..might wanna look into reforging some dodge into parry..as I had 26% dodge and only 20% or so Parry....reforging parry from dodge gave more net avoidance.

holy crap, i don't think i noticed any gargantuan shield slams yet, but i'll keep a closer eye on it tonight now that i've updated recount.
    Also in 5 mans, the likelihood of a large stack/max stack of vengeance is very low, in raids it'll be become very apparently right away.
    These 2 are tied to each other.

I had the same thing in the few 5 mans I did - threat felt really low (or the DPSers felt really high).
    I haven't done any raids yet, but from what I hear Vengeance is a hugenormous boost. Some players saying it's accounting for 60% of their AP. I just glanced at it here and there in the 5 mans - never noticed it above about 1k.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

my ap as a tank is pretty low, but i have 77k hp in ICC, that's 7700 AP i can gain from vengeance (and did during last nights raid)... yeah, big shield slams. I was fully aware that 5 mans meant i couldn't get huge slams because of the nature of not getting max vengeance.

Reforging

I'm going on the ICC voyage Saturday but I did some reforging on the massive amount of unintentional hit I had been stacking up and I'm excited about what will happen out of it...put all of it in mastery...we will see

It also seems that parry and dodge are now both on the same deminishing returns. I reforged dodge to parry and picked up some avoidance.
    -My DK is a Healer

my ap as a tank is pretty low, but i have 77k hp in ICC, that's 7700 AP i can gain from vengeance (and did during last nights raid)... yeah, big shield slams. I was fully aware that 5 mans meant i couldn't get huge slams because of the nature of not getting max vengeance.
    Dirty abuse of PvP and Dps gear is the way forward for 5 mans , at least for 4.01 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsvalor View Post
    It also seems that parry and dodge are now both on the same deminishing returns. I reforged dodge to parry and picked up some avoidance.
    Confirmed again, basicly you'll want to balance the amount of dodge & Parry rating you have as much as you can (yay for reforging!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

After trying a few different things I reforged all my dodge/hit into parry/expertise where possible. Now hit capped with 38 expertise, 25% parry, 21% dodge. I also opted into cruelty over Field Dressing for extra threat.

Hold the Line is up almost 100% now which is a constant 10% crit too. Seems much more pleasant threatwise when tanking since I've done it - could also be contributed by the caster nerfs though. I'll see how it goes in ICC over the weekend.
    Toblerone - Space Goat Warrior
    Chupachup - Space Goat Shaman

Ive been trying to find as much as i could lately on reforging for my DK, glad i found this thread, but i just want to make sure im on the same page, im currently just over the exp soft cap at 27, my hit is high at 10.2%, dodge is at 22.5%, and parry at 18.8%, before reforging anything, so my first obvious thing to do is reforge my excess hit into mastery until hit is closer to 8% with out going under, leave the exp alone, and reforge my dodge to parry as much as i can to balance the 2 out around 20.65%?

is that the right idea? or am i missing something?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Toblerone View Post
    After trying a few different things I reforged all my dodge/hit into parry/expertise where possible. Now hit capped with 38 expertise, 25% parry, 21% dodge. I also opted into cruelty over Field Dressing for extra threat.

Hold the Line is up almost 100% now which is a constant 10% crit too. Seems much more pleasant threatwise when tanking since I've done it - could also be contributed by the caster nerfs though. I'll see how it goes in ICC over the weekend.
    You want dodge and parry rating's very close to same to minimize dim returns theorycrafting is showing..

source: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by chumz View Post
    Ive been trying to find as much as i could lately on reforging for my DK, glad i found this thread, but i just want to make sure im on the same page, im currently just over the exp soft cap at 27, my hit is high at 10.2%, dodge is at 22.5%, and parry at 18.8%, before reforging anything, so my first obvious thing to do is reforge my excess hit into mastery until hit is closer to 8% with out going under, leave the exp alone, and reforge my dodge to parry as much as i can to balance the 2 out around 20.65%?

is that the right idea? or am i missing something?

thanks!
    Personally, I'm finding avoidance to be less useful than mastery. With my tank gear reforged to use mastery instead of avoidance I've got my Blood Shield at 103% of my death strike's heal. That's after I've got hit and exp at the soft cap and my unbuffed hp at over 50k. The lowest my blood shield will be is 5k.

My personal preference is that I'd rather be able to prevent 5k on demand than have a chance to prevent 10k at random times.

- Howel

+ Reply to Thread