+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shadow Priest dps issues

Shadow Priest dps issues

hello and sorry if there was alreayd a thread for this i looked around and couldnt seem to find one.

so i've been really confused about shadow dps most people tell me never to use mind spike so its like this
    SW:P, DP, VT, Mind Flay twice till i get archangel to proc then if i have 3 shadow orbs bust a Mind Blast, back to mind flay, reapply DP/VT as needed since SW:P gets reapplyed by mind flay.

now i do decent enough if the other dps are bad i can push 13k or so but if their geared and bursty i struggle to even hit 10k alot of people just tell me shadow is just bad atm but i really do see potential with mind spike, any help would be great.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../althea/simple, missing shoulder chant i do believe been working on it and maybe a few better enchants, any input is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Chronicsmoke; 02-03-2011 at 02:36 PM.

I'm interested in finding out too. We have a sPriest that's frustrated. Same fight, one round is 7k, the next attempt is 10/11k. He's looking to try to maintain the higher end.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Hey Chronic. With no Armory i cant see what gear you have. My own Armory says im rockin out with a 349 equipped avg ilvl.
    I couldnt tell you my DPS & if i did it wouldnt be useful because there is no situation or encounter posted to compare it too.
    Obviously high movement fights will lower DPS.
    Are you talking Raids or HC's?
    If HC's then that sounds about right as Mind Spike x 3, MB + SW: Death/MF repeat is bad DPS anyways & dots dont usually have time to tick over for any dmg. SP's are bad @ multiple adds atm with Mind Sear being as useful as a waterbomb. I never personally worry about Trash DPS/DMG only Bosses.

If your talking Raids & Bosses then something is definately wrong.

If the rotation you describe is what you use to open fights with then that could be harming your DPS also.

There is a choice of 2 'Openers' as i see it.
    Opener 1 = SW: Pain, Fade, VT, DP, MB, Shadowfiend, MF, MF, MF, MB+SW Death, Refresh Dots, MF, MB+SWDeath etc. (haste Dependant - you might only get 2 MF's before your 1st MB)
    I use this if the tank is bad with generating aggro. Depending on how many 'on use' bonuses you have can determine when you proc Dark Archangel - Combine it with an MB or VT Cast to effectively 'hide' the GCD.

Opener 2 = VT, SWP, MB, DP, MF, MF, MF, MB + Shadowfiend, MF, refresh dots, MB on every CD with SWD/Fade/Shadowfiend etc - If the tank can handle the threat.

I subscribe to 2 rules atm:
    Rule 1: Learn your ABC. Always. Be. Casting.
    Rule 2: Never cast 2 instants back to back if you can help it (except when moving) as you are unable to cast for 1 second inbetween and this violates Rule 1.

I also pre-pot with Volcanic Potions just before a pull (bosses only), Trigger Trinket (JC one) then i Trigger Gloves Tinker & Dark Archangel - I usually trigger the last 2 just after i've refreshed DOTs to try to get max casts for the durations. Although DarkArchangel is a nice dmg boost i prefer the Mana regain aspect of it over that of the Shadowfiend so never proc it till i need it on the 1st usage.

Mind Spike is only really useful in Fights where you need to stop Dots or Nuke certain adds (think Toxitron not Magmaw).

Im not the 'perfect player' but i do pretty well, so hope this helps.

wow thanks for the info i'll try to post an armory later on today, but what you said there makes sense, you know i catch myself dot sumthing then midflay then dot ect ABC good idea i'mma test that more thanks a ton i'll try this later. i was more talking about heriocs but would love to start raiding soon and dont wanna be the weakest link

The only nuance is really in the opening when you are trying to get your first orb. Basically dots/blast/fiend, then flay until you get an orb, then blast and reapply dots and go into the standard "keep everything up" maintenance. I don't pop my JC trinket until after I've fired off the orb-mindblast and then reapply dots with the trinket boost. Also be sure to use shadowword death whenever you have to run and if you have to run particularly far (2GCDs) use Plague as well, even if it's not time to reapply it. Any damage at all while moving is good damage and masochism will help your mana.

Shadow is my offspec and I don't have my UI perfectly setup for it (really only have power aura's setup for holy and I'm using class timers, not Forte), but I can push 15-16k on Maloriak if I nail everything right with ~350 gear. Shadowpriest DPS is pretty amazing right now on bosses. Ignore your trash DPS though ... it's flat out crap and there's not much you can do about it. You'll work twice as hard as any other class for 75% of the DPS.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

just added link to armory if you could check out gems, i hear i dont want so much haste i thought haste was good tho?

Haste is currently the strongest stat besides int however post patch it's up in the air as mastery has gained a lot of ground. Preliminary math has haste and mastery oscillating depending on current gear levels.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

After looking at your armory I noticed your hit is way low, even if your just going to be doing heroics 8% is not enough that will hurt your dps quite a bit, you reforged out of some spirit for some reason?

With your rotation, you only want to SW:P first IF you have to run into position after pulling, otherwise you want to VT first always. It is your most damaging spell and it will boost your dps a bit.

Also make sure your not using archangel until you mind blast with at least 1 shadow orb. (dark evan. gives your dots a 10% buff, you want to refresh VT and DP AFTER you proc empowered shadow and BEFORE you use archangel.

Don't wait till you have 3 orbs to use mind blast, your number one buff to keep up on yourself is empowered shadow. Keeping this up to buff your dots is much more important than an extra bit of damage from a 3 orb mind blast. (depending on the proc of shadow orbs you will mind blast with 1-3 orbs. an easy way to think of it is MB on cooldown only if you have at least one orb)

Mindspike, it has its place, its place is just not in your rotation, there are certain fights where it comes in handy, ex. the council fight in bastion of twilight, when Ignacious does his Aegis of flame (the bubble that absorb 1 million damage) I turn to him and Mind spike and instant MB, for extra damage.

Its very good for a quick burst on targets that you know are going to die in a small amount of time if you dont have time to apply dots since we are a ramp up class. Like trash that has low health. There is just no point in using it in your rotation since it rips your dots off.

Eh, honestly there are lots of opening rotations which ultimately boil down to a slight DPS increase or loss. Some people suggest SW:P then Mind Flaying once or twice and hoping you get an orb, then MBing, then applying your dots.

Some people like me just SW:P, VT, DP (While moving), MF X2, MB if there's an orb, SF + AA on CD more or less. SWD x2 at 25%, SWD while moving, Move while reapplying DP, and MF as a filler.

Your gearing is more or less correct, Haste trumps all even 17% hit, I'm at like 10% hit or something and I've ranked on a couple of fights on WoL.

Here's my armory if you were curious. A very important part of Spriest DPS is like a DoT Tracker/Addon! Hopefully you have one of those.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...istassa/simple

I just rerolled off to a spriest and i have the same things going on..

I open with SW:P, DP while running in then VT SWD then MFx2 to get up evangelism and hit dark arch immediately at 5 stacks. At this point if I have SWD off CD i hit it then redot VT. big thing is always let your dots tick down to like .1sec left if you can dont redot early its lost dps cause during that time you can MF SWD or MB

ive found if im static on a boss i can see 10-12k in heroic and rep gear...its all i got
    if im on the move 7-9k

I think people are over thinking it, there will be a slight difference in DPS depending on which way you start but it is negligible.
    I think people are getting confused on stats.

Haste is our number one GREEN stat, green meaning secondary stat that appears on gear at the bottom.
    before haste INT/Spell power is our number one stat and all enchants/gems (after getting any req's needed from meta or hit caps) should be pointed at int/sp.

You should always be trying to increase your spell power. Once that shoots up you will notice a huge jump in dps.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...zhero/advanced
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-lf...?s=9465&e=9990

sweet ty i have been working on boosting up my int, thank god they changed the alchemy trinket gonna fix some of my gems later on also, i've noticed a difference already kindof tho 10-15k in heroics

Not sure If I should be starting a new thread for this but its under the same topic of Shadow Priests, But I'm curious if I am stacking to much haste, I was told that I was by a few others with no indication of what I should be replacing it with.

If so, what should I be changing it too? also heard from a few that being hit cap as shadow is not completely mandatory.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rtouchy/simple

Looking for any tips on fixing gear (reforge/gems/enchants) Etc... My dps is not to bad with they way it is , just would like it to be done better. So any tips , info , will be appreciative Thank You !

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...bgone/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicsmoke View Post
    now i do decent enough if the other dps are bad i can push 13k or so but if their geared and bursty i struggle to even hit 10k alot of people just tell me shadow is just bad atm but i really do see potential with mind spike, any help would be great.
    I notice this exact same thing. Frankly it seems to me that I just dont have the chance to channel spells when there are leets in the group, things die to fast. So I just keep plugging away at getting leet myself.

+ Reply to Thread