Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: [Cataclysm] Death Knight Tanking: Satorri's Guide to the Bloody Future

Very nice guide as usual from you gave me a nice read while i was waiting for my game to be updated.
    But damn i just changed alot of my dodge rating for mastery cause i thought it would be really imba but i guess that was not such a good idea after all

anyways keep up the good work

What kind of DPS does the blood parasite do? Does it give you additional threat?

If we take healing out of the equation.. which is better? Blood Caked Blade or Blood Parasite?

Ok I really don't get all the posts where threat is apparently fine, what I'm experiencing is completely different. At the current forefront of gear, that is we're all "Light of the Dawn" BiS, there's no way I'm going to be keeping threat off our full 277, reforged mastery mages and warlocks. They push out so much damage, and so much threat, while I'm sitting around waiting for either runestrikes or runes to light up and they shoot right past pulling agro.

I'm about to change my spec to make sure I get as much threat as I can, 3/3 BCB for a start, and then will reforge some of my gear including my Shadowmourne (that should already be helping my threat enough :<). My question is, what stat would be recomended to reforge too, obviously hit/exp/haste/crit can add threat, but the other possibility is even more avoidance for these vital RS procs. I'm already at 27%d, 20%p unbuffed however so dr's are pretty steep.

Hmm. Any ideas where my phantom dodge/parry is coming from?

Dodge Rating of 1080 adds 23.87% before DR (main number is 23.75%)

Parry Rating of 694 adds 15.34% before DR (main number is 17.89%)

[EDIT: Nevermind. I forgot about STR being converted to PARRY.]

So for Blood Shield we can waste applications? Wasn't there talk of it being additive so that you can't waste a shield or something like that? Oh well, guess that would have made it a bit too good.

What do you all think of this opening rotation for AoE?

D&D - unholy
    icy touch - frost
    plague strike - unholy
    pestilence - blood
    blood boil - blood
    blood tap - 30 second cooldown
    plague strike - death
    blood boil - free

[EDIT: Actually, in practice, this is a very lengthy opening rotation as by the time you get that free blood boil done.. you have a couple of the beginning runes ready to be used.]

..and this one for single target..

icy touch - frost
    plague strike - unholy
    death strike - frost and unholy
    heart strike - blood
    blood boil - blood

Seems pretty standard but I don't theory craft as much as you all do
    Last edited by Felycitas; 10-13-2010 at 05:31 PM.

The important thing to add, especially for single target is that if runestrike pops up at any point, you use it, and continue the rest of that rotation after. Don't like pop out the next hearstrike or w/e before using the runestrike.

Yikes. Just tanked my first heroic (Violet Hold) and a few thoughts...

1) I sure feel slow when it comes to the 2nd add that comes from a single add portal. It's like I can do my opening rotation on the 1st add and then I just have to sit there letting things recharge in time to pickup the 2nd add.

2) I'm pretty well geared for a tank and a mage constantly kept ripping single target aggro from me.

3) They really should take Rune Strike off the GCD. They also really need to fix the whole "no requirements if in blood presence" thing.

4) They need to re-add the 'debuff' for DRW so you can know the timing on it on the target.

Meh.

[EDIT: Also, how did you unholy tanks get yourselves in the mindset to keep bone shield going all the time? I forgot like crazy.]
    Last edited by Felycitas; 10-13-2010 at 06:15 PM.

I've noticed that Improved Death Strike (supposed to add 45% healing to Death Strike) doesn't add any healing, at least not on the "10% of your health as minimum" - can anyone confirm that this is a bug, and not a tooltip error? (It'd be quite a shame if it was only intended to give 45% damage, not healing).

I'd also like to know if anyone knows if there's a cap on how much Blood Shield can absorb. I checked WoL and the highest absorb I ever got out of it was around 16,000, while the highest heal I got from Death Strike was over 50,000.

EDIT: My Mastery rating is 529, which brings the Death Strike to Blood Shield conversion up to 122%.
    Last edited by Meagree; 10-13-2010 at 06:58 PM.

One key thing to remember about RS is that is has a 45% chance to refresh a rune that's on cd but has yet to start refreshing. I do agree however that having RS off the gcd would be a great buff but if that was to happen the same would have to be done with warriors and HS/ cleave. Now as far as RS not needing to be procced by a dodge or parry, I personally like the way it is now. For me it makes things more interesting. Granted it does suck when you dont dodge or parry for a bit, but you can still DC to try and proc runic empowerment.

Quote Originally Posted by uglie View Post

Granted it does suck when you dont dodge or parry for a bit, but you can still DC to try and proc runic empowerment.
    The situation that made me think about it was against Lavanthor where it's very little melee damage to proc RS. I didn't have Omen running so I need to get back in there and see what kind of numbers I'm doing.

Did they remove the Icy Touch threat buff?

Quote Originally Posted by Felycitas View Post
    Did they remove the Icy Touch threat buff?
    Yep, it's gone, but you don't need it anymore, especially once the RS change goes through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Leave shields to the sissy tanks who need something to hide behind. Death Knights take it full in the face!
    | Unforgiven | Blood DK tank: Urikslargda |

Quote Originally Posted by Felycitas View Post
    Yikes. Just tanked my first heroic (Violet Hold) and a few thoughts...

1) I sure feel slow when it comes to the 2nd add that comes from a single add portal. It's like I can do my opening rotation on the 1st add and then I just have to sit there letting things recharge in time to pickup the 2nd add.

2) I'm pretty well geared for a tank and a mage constantly kept ripping single target aggro from me.

3) They really should take Rune Strike off the GCD. They also really need to fix the whole "no requirements if in blood presence" thing.
    I had VH for my first test run, too.

1. I had fun popping Bone Shield (glyphed) to sprint over to each portal as it opened, drop DnD, DS/HS, diseases, BB. No problems.

2. Probably just an issue with mage DPS being absurd right now. It's getting the nerfbat soon: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27187...f-oct-13-2010/

3. Changes on beta already. I hope they don't wait until 4.0.3 to put it on live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Leave shields to the sissy tanks who need something to hide behind. Death Knights take it full in the face!
    | Unforgiven | Blood DK tank: Urikslargda |

Quote Originally Posted by Urythmic View Post

Yep, it's gone, but you don't need it anymore, especially once the RS change goes through.
    I hope so. Sheesh. Just tanked Saurfang on 10 and had a tremendously difficult time getting him to attack me over the other tank.

Omen (which I know isn't always accurate) had me just slightly above the other tank but hell if he would rune me over them.

Well after tanking ICC 25 tonight...

I had no threat issues really, most of the time I was generating 25-30k TPS.

But I can say so far...I do not really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzer View Post

But I can say so far...I do not really enjoy it.
    I don't enjoy the new rune system.

I probably wouldn't have an issue if it wasn't such a fundamental change X year(s) later.

I think we just need to get in some solo questing against creatures we aren't going to smash in one or two shots (so we can get a rotation going).

We're kinda jumping into the pool at the deep end and trying to learn how to swim that way.

I just feel as if we went from one extreme to the other. I can understand not wanting us to have to use every GCD in order to maintain our max potential, but I don't like sitting around waiting either. Needs more of a happy medium. The faster regen rate and rune strike fix might solve my current problems however, we'll find out when they are implemented.

Great read, Satorri, as usual

I was reading the (Wowhead) change list, and one thing struck me as odd. In the Stat Changes section, it is stated that

Tanking classes will become uncrittable versus creatures by shifting into Defensive Stance, Blood Presence, or Bear Form, or by using Righteous Fury.
    since Defense is being removed as a stat, and while I agree that this makes sense, it is contradictory to the Improved Blood Presence talent, which "reduced the chance that you will be critically hit".

So, how exactly does this work now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzer View Post

I just feel as if we went from one extreme to the other. I can understand not wanting us to have to use every GCD in order to maintain our max potential, but I don't like sitting around waiting either.
    I agree completely.

Sheesh. The amusing things keep on coming.

So all my dodge/stamina gems got changed from red to blue.. which broke my stamina socket bonus.

Except.. I've been secretly getting that socket bonus.

Replace a +15 stamina gem with a +12 stamina gem to regain a +12 stamina socket bonus.. health goes down.