+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior Glyph question.

Prot Warrior Glyph question.

Hey y'all.
    I have been lurking around for a while, soaking up the good info around here.
    I'm pretty new at tanking, and really insecure about my abilities, although my guild assures me I'm doing just fine.

While I think I did a fairly good job at gearing myself with what I could craft myself, They have been pushing me though heroics lately to gear me up.

Now, I have a lousy spatial awareness, having trouble to keep multiple mobs focused on me. I'm often loosing sight of my character among the legs of giants, failing to be turned towards the mob etc.
    Usually when the magic show starts and AOE goes everywhere one or two mobs will peel to others in the group, and I immediatly panic, taunt and feel like a proper fool afterwards.
    The fact that I randomly disconnect for unknown reasons plenty during the evnings doesnt help either.

But enough of my blah and on to my real question.
    I'm currently using glyph of devestate, wich is fine and all, but I was thinking maybe glyph of sunder armour would help me a bit with my multi mob tanking issues.
    BUT the issue is I read (I think on WoWhead) that the extra threat of these glyphs had been removed ?
    That the armour debuff comes up on the secondary mob, but I wouldn't be getting the threat for applying it with sunder glyph?

Same thing with glyph of devestate, that I would only recive threat for one application despite the debuff being stacked to 2 ?

Other than that, any general tips on what I can do to improve my game would be appreciated.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...gorm%C3%A5rten

Thanks !
    Do not argue with Dwarves.
    They will drag you down to their level, and beat you with sledgehammers

During AoE pulls with the dps outgearing you as a tank, it's common for a few mobs to pull off of you if they don't allow you the time you need to get agro. The purpose of the tank, though, is not to make sure all mobs are focusing on you, it's that you don't allow the mobs to hit the other members of the party/raid. If you are quick on the taunts to ping pong the mobs back to you before they hit the dps, you did your job. Granted, keeping them on you at all times is the goal of every tank, but while gearing up it's quite hard accomplish that goal with the rest of the group outgearing you and blowing up the mobs as they are used to doing with better geared tanks.

But on to the glyph question, I would suggest sticking with the Devastate glyph. I haven't read anything saying that it doesn't add the extra threat of the second sunder debuff, but I stick with it. I do know that Devastate adds extra threat over regular Sunder Armor since it has a damage component and, since I'm at work I can't verify this but, I believe the tooltip for Devastate states that it causes high threat.
    Instead of switching glyphs, I would suggest working on your opening prioritization for AoE groups. How I do it might not be the same as others but it works well for me... Charge in, Thunderclap to gain initial snap agro as you're strafing a few steps to the side to get them in a nice tight group, Shockwave, and Thunderclap again when the cooldown is up.
    Again, since I'm at work, I can't view your armory, but if you're not spec'd into Improved Revenge, spec into it. I macro my Shield Block with my Charge and Heroic Throw, so by the time I Thunderclap that first time, my Revenge is up which I use while I'm strafing to the side for my Shockwave. Once you Shockwave, tab through and use your glyphed Devastate once on each mob until, and after, Thunderclap is up again.
    Tabbing through each mob to keep my sunders up on all as well as changing my Cleave/Revenge targets helps a lot, although sometimes the dps get frustrated with it because they can't focus my target, but I hold all of them to me so it works.

The problem with you not being able to see yourself amongst the groups of mobs or AoE spell graphics is something that you'll have to work on clearing up. Add-ons help with it (i.e. Miks Scrolling Combat Text moves all of the incoming and outgoing damage or heals texts to the sides of your characters, or where ever you decide to put them) but don't be afraid of moving the mobs as a tank. Just keep in mind that some mobs cleave, some have a conal AoE, some breath fire, etc... that you don't want to hit the group with. So stay in contact with them and move the group by backing around in a circle or something. If you see the back of your toon with no one behind you, you're doing fine.

Hope that helps.

Hi and thanks for the reply !

Quote Originally Posted by Crittable View Post
    But on to the glyph question, I would suggest sticking with the Devastate glyph. I haven't read anything saying that it doesn't add the extra threat of the second sunder debuff, but I stick with it. I do know that Devastate adds extra threat over regular Sunder Armor since it has a damage component and, since I'm at work I can't verify this but, I believe the tooltip for Devastate states that it causes high threat.
    The comments I read where from wowhead comments on the glyphs, that the threat portions of the additional sunder stacks had been nerfed in 3.2 or somesuch.
    I was fishing for anyone to confirm or deny the truth in that, and to know if these glyphs where still used.

Anyway I gave the sunder glyph a try and saw no real difference one way or the other in my preformance.
    I suppose I'll go back to glyphing devestate.

Instead of switching glyphs, I would suggest working on your opening prioritization for AoE groups. How I do it might not be the same as others but it works well for me... Charge in, Thunderclap to gain initial snap agro as you're strafing a few steps to the side to get them in a nice tight group, Shockwave, and Thunderclap again when the cooldown is up.
    That's pretty much how I do it aswell, maybe my movement is not as efficent.
    I usually charge, clap, back up a step or two and shockwave, run through the mobs and turn around so the mobs face away from the party, I also try to work a demo shout in there somewhere if I can remember to.

Again, since I'm at work, I can't view your armory, but if you're not spec'd into Improved Revenge, spec into it. I macro my Shield Block with my Charge and Heroic Throw, so by the time I Thunderclap that first time, my Revenge is up which I use while I'm strafing to the side for my Shockwave. Once you Shockwave, tab through and use your glyphed Devastate once on each mob until, and after, Thunderclap is up again.
    I am indeed specced into improved revenge. And I have my shield block macroed to shield slam to put some extra umph into that attack.
    My revenge is macroed in such a way that it shows heroic strike on the skillbar instead whenever revenge is on cooldown.
    I do my best to stick to the prio slam>revenge>devestate with heroic strikes in between, after I get 5 stacks of sunder up. But this usually just goes well on solo mobs such as bosses.

Tabbing through each mob to keep my sunders up on all as well as changing my Cleave/Revenge targets helps a lot, although sometimes the dps get frustrated with it because they can't focus my target, but I hold all of them to me so it works.
    I try to do this aswell, but it's usually here that everything fails and chaos ensues.
    tab toggles between the same two mobs, randomly targets irrelevant mobs, or straight up does nothing.
    And by the time I'm frustrated enough to try and click target what I want, atleast one mob has run of to bash our rogue or moonkin.

While they are well enough geared to kill heroic trash before it does any serious damage, it still just irks me that it got away from me, and lowers my confidence and possibly causing me a slight peptic ulcer

The problem with you not being able to see yourself amongst the groups of mobs or AoE spell graphics is something that you'll have to work on clearing up. Add-ons help with it (i.e. Miks Scrolling Combat Text moves all of the incoming and outgoing damage or heals texts to the sides of your characters, or where ever you decide to put them) but don't be afraid of moving the mobs as a tank. Just keep in mind that some mobs cleave, some have a conal AoE, some breath fire, etc... that you don't want to hit the group with. So stay in contact with them and move the group by backing around in a circle or something. If you see the back of your toon with no one behind you, you're doing fine.
    As I said I try to remember to turn mobs away from the party.
    I have turned off almost all combat text from WoW anyway as floating numbers tell me nothing and just adds confusion.
    It's just that some mobs are so huge and they like standing ON me rather than in front of me. I guess it just takes practice.

Thanks for the comments.

Oh and just a quick comment to clear up any pontential misnderstandings.
    I don't cast sunder armour at all, I use devestate always. But with the sunder armour glyph devestate hits two mobs with the debuff but only the original target with the damage part.

I would swap sunder with devastate glyph, not sure about other major glyphs for 5mans, for raiding I would take Shield wall, last stand and devastate, change in taunt when required, this is going to be useless come tonight though.
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Yes the EU servers are down for patch.
    Guess it was rather late in the expansion to start finetuning my skills

Thanks kindly regardless.

You can also try an add on called threatplates. It will help you see multimob threat in colors instead of numbers. I'm pretty sure Curse has it.
    Stop it.

Glyph of Devastate is now a Prime glyph that increases devastate's crit chance by 5% SADFACE

+ Reply to Thread