+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaman Healing

Shaman Healing

Was wondering for a new shaman healer what was a good restoration build. Just post either a wowhead talent link or wowarmory link, either one is fine. Also any tips for a first time healer would be nice too.

Thanks guys & gals.

The Elitist Jerks guide is still up to date for now, including the talent specs posted.

For any new healer, making sure you have a UI which presents you with crucial information is vital - maybe more so than any other role. Everyone has their own opinion on what's "best"; I prefer Grid + GridStatusHots + GridStatusRaidDebuff+Clique for click casting. Others swear by Healbot or Vuhdo. The important thing is to be able to see at a glance which raid members have which health deficit (duh), important debuffs, an aggro indicator, and some indication of where your Riptide and Earth Shield are (although the last two don't necessarily have to be shown by your raid frames if you have another addon displaying that information).

Use either a click-casting addon (Clique, or a unit frame addon with the functionality built in such as Healbot or Vuhdo) or mouseover macros. I'm almost certain someone will respond to this post saying "I use neither and do just fine!", but moving your mouse and pressing a mouse button/keybind to cast a spell is just quicker than selecting a unit and then pressing a button, because it's one more action before the heal goes off. It's only a small difference, but might as well start with best practice, right?

Shaman specific tips: don't be too reliant on Chain Heal. It's a wonderful spell, and class-defining, but if a single target needs a quick heal then Chain Heal is not the right tool for the job. It sounds obvious, but you would be amazed at how many PuG resto shaman out there use Chain Heal for absolutely everything. Riptide, Lesser Healing Wave and Healing Wave all have their places, and if you find Chain Heal is at 70% of your healing done for every single encounter, you could probably do better (obviously this is extremely encounter dependent - Chain Heal absolutely should be the vast majority of your healing done on something like Blood Queen or Twin Valks in ToC). Deathbringer Saurfang on 10 man non-heroic mode, for example, isn't a Chain Heal-friendly fight unless you end up with a Mark in melee. Try and have the attitude that every time Chain Heal hits only one target, you've not used it properly. If you have an addon to show you who each of your Chain Heal casts bounce to, that can help you optimise (there's a Grid plugin that does this; I don't know about the other options).

Move Earth Shield around as needed, especially if you're the only resto shaman in the raid (overwriting someone else's Earth Shield is bad etiquette). Saurfang again - move it between whoever's tanking, for example, or onto a Mark target if they're your assigment. Don't fire and forget - it's a huge amount of healing for a single GCD.

Anything less than 95% uptime on Water Shield is a failure. It's an enormous source of mana income - don't let it fall off. A more general point about mana: don't think you have to end every fight with >50% mana. You'll quickly get a feel for how much regen you need, but if you end a fight on >50% mana without having used Mana Tide, you could have itemised for more throughput. On a related note, use Mana Tide early and often. If you save it for when you're nearly oom, you probably won't get a second use out of it during that fight, whereas if you pop it early when you're at 70% mana it might be back up again when you (or the other healers) are running low later in the fight.

That's all I can think of for now. I've probably missed out a ton of stuff, but just get started healing and you'll quickly get a feel for it.

+ Reply to Thread