+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Regards to weekly marmot and Aliena

Regards to weekly marmot and Aliena

I hope this wont be flame/troll thread but im pretty serious about my idea.

Okay guys, i am deaf in real life and sadly i wanted to watch their video but sadly there is no subtitle and of course there wont be much of people going to "work" to make subtitle on their "time". So i came up with one idea.

Maybe i could just grab some info out of them both and make it in summary and ill sign to a video so all other deaf player around the world would actually understand what is going on because i want to be very "informative" about new mechanics, patch changes and some preview etc.

So what do you guys reckon? because i would love to do it and i have lots of RL deaf friend play WoW and im sure there are LOTS of them out there.

But one issue is that all sign language is just like speech language so therefore all sign language is not same like Australia Sign Language, America Sign Language are very different so i came up with a solution. I will sign in "international sign language" where all deaf over the world would understand what im talking about.

So please feedback and some suggestion?

(PS. sorry for my grammar because English is my second language but at least you could understand it... somehow! :P)

Okay, I was going to suggest you use Youtube's auto-subtitle option, but while it's impressive, it's not great.

I don't know exactly how their process works, but there's a good chance they have a script of sorts for their videos, maybe they'll post one, and otherwise you could bribe someone to post a transcript.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

I actually think that's a great idea. Definately has my vote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Okay, I was going to suggest you use Youtube's auto-subtitle option, but while it's impressive, it's not great.

I don't know exactly how their process works, but there's a good chance they have a script of sorts for their videos, maybe they'll post one, and otherwise you could bribe someone to post a transcript.
    Yeah i tried this but its... terrible and sometime it was way off-topic nothing relate to what they are saying but im just hoping to see if people encourage this idea so i might can start something off like asking them both for their some of script or something summary ish or full script to translate in sign language.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    I actually think that's a great idea. Definately has my vote!
    Glad to see someone who think that is great idea :P and hooray for two post without flaming / trolling

When i've seen sign language added to video, it's always been by editing the original video and adding some picture in picture of the person doing the sign language. Unless you have experince with video editing, or know someone that has, this project may be more time consuming than you realize.

Doing subtitles is seems alot easier, it may even be possible to create transcripts using voice recognition software, if so you would only need to ajust the timing of the displayed text.

Quote Originally Posted by sangredios View Post
    When i've seen sign language added to video, it's always been by editing the original video and adding some picture in picture of the person doing the sign language. Unless you have experince with video editing, or know someone that has, this project may be more time consuming than you realize.

Doing subtitles is seems alot easier, it may even be possible to create transcripts using voice recognition software, if so you would only need to ajust the timing of the displayed text.
    Well i was planning to just make my own video in sign language and i have some experience but yeah i know its time consuming and i plan to do it even if its taking my time too much.

And once again, all around people in world is not fluent in English so thus, this is the reason i plan to make video in international sign language.

Because i have lots of ideas around in my head for make my own video nothing relate to weekly and its more like "how to be a good raider" for deaf people because there are lots of letdown from guild reject regards "no vent" so how to improve etc.

all i need is to see if lots of people support this and i have no idea how to contact marmot and aliena :P

I think its an absolutely great idea. Not only are you reaching out to the deaf WoW community but you are reaching just about anyone in the world who can read ISL, which gives them even more viewer flexibilty. If he is willing to commit the time to it I think its a fabulous idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackspeed View Post
    and i have no idea how to contact marmot and aliena :P
    My understanding is that in general your best bet for contacting lore and/or aliena is to send them a PM here on tankspot. Lore also has a new gmail as well that he displays near the end of the last couple of WM vids that might work.

And not to try and rain on the idea, but you mention there are obviously different forms of sign language -- do most of the folks learning sign language tend to learn ISL in addition to their "native" language? Just wondering if that would really help include more people or not.
    I'm a tank. I like the beatings.

If the vids are in English why can't the subtitles be? They are already posting scripts of the raid vids. I'm sure they would be willing to post the scripts of the weekly marmot vids as well. Hell, I type very fast. I would volunteer my time to type what they say and hit post.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

I get the feeling that there is no "script" as such for the weekly marmot, it seems to me that lore just uses bullet point notes and thinks up the actual content on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    My understanding is that in general your best bet for contacting lore and/or aliena is to send them a PM here on tankspot. Lore also has a new gmail as well that he displays near the end of the last couple of WM vids that might work.

And not to try and rain on the idea, but you mention there are obviously different forms of sign language -- do most of the folks learning sign language tend to learn ISL in addition to their "native" language? Just wondering if that would really help include more people or not.
    Ok great, this is what i meant i dont know what is their tankspot name so i could PM them, ty buddy

Yeah there is different form of sign language but there is ISL which all people would actually understand it without need to learn it because its more of adopt most signs from ASL (America sign language) and few other sign around country to establish the gesture sign language that all deaf people would actually understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Banterloft View Post
    If the vids are in English why can't the subtitles be? They are already posting scripts of the raid vids. I'm sure they would be willing to post the scripts of the weekly marmot vids as well. Hell, I type very fast. I would volunteer my time to type what they say and hit post.
    Well, great to see someone like you are willing to do it but i thought i would prefer to make video in sign language because not all deaf people around in the world are fluent at English so i want to use it in sign language so all deaf people will feel the connection from deaf person to deaf person in sign language.

Quote Originally Posted by Imoh View Post
    I get the feeling that there is no "script" as such for the weekly marmot, it seems to me that lore just uses bullet point notes and thinks up the actual content on the spot.
    Thats right no "script" but what is the word for the thing he saying through video? its script haha probably just summary of it. All im hoping to see if he could supply me what he say in weekly video like bullets note with his comments etc and i could translate it in sign language.

Oh and other people/viewer if you know any good video editing program please tell me one so i could download it and try few stuff before im actually doing it :P

Oh and other people/viewer if you know any good video editing program please tell me one so i could download it and try few stuff before im actually doing it :P
    I don't have any personal experience with the videos, but I imagine most of this is prob at least still mostly relevant:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...e-amp-Hardware
    I'm a tank. I like the beatings.

Thats right no "script" but what is the word for the thing he saying through video? its script haha probably just summary of it. All im hoping to see if he could supply me what he say in weekly video like bullets note with his comments etc and i could translate it in sign language.
    I think the word you are looking for is "transcript."

I've never really considered what it would be like to play WoW as a deaf person and deal with stuff like raids with Ventrilo requirements; I'm sure what you're proposing would be helpful for a lot of people. Good luck getting it going..

What a neat idea I think Aliena types up a script beforehand, though I am not sure. Lore might be tougher since, as other's mentioned, he seems to fly by the seat of his pants. I imagine there are computer programs that can translate for you, though I am not sure how it would handle WoW terminology. If you can manage to get a transcript you could record a video of yourself signing it and then overlay that on top of the original, which isn't that hard to do. I think Donors have access to marmots that they can download.. so that could be a way to get the file onto your computer.
    Vuhdo 101: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBoImKCY1Fs Vuhdo 102: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbM0XG7XsU http://www.twitter.com/soragrey

great idea..

Is there not a winduh's program that does voice capture to text conversion?
    If he ran that at the same time, maybe a few minutes of text formating and dump to a post?
    not sure never played with in personally.
    good luck with your project though..
    when its stops being fun it stops

+ Reply to Thread