+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boomkin gemming and stacking

Boomkin gemming and stacking

Ok so I went and started a boomkin, got it up to 79 and am trying to get an idea of what enchants, gems, and stacks are considered the best/norm. Would link but at work and having to post from my phone, if you wanna look just armory Kittykap-alleria. P.s. I know the name doesn't imply a boomkin but I originally just wanted a Druid for cat form lol

You want to get to the hit cap and haste soft cap to reduce your gcd to 1 second. It's fine to gem to get there.

Then after that haste and spell power are very close in value.

I end up putting spell power in all reds and blues.

Then spell power/ haste in all yellows provided the socket bonus is useful at all.

Don't forget to active your meta though.

With 4.0.1 pending any advice offered now would be relatively short term as priorities shift dramatically as a result of the coming patch. Are you looking for 3.3.5 advice or 4.0.1 advice?
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

4.0.1 stat priorities will look something like this. This may vary a bit, but as a general scale.

Spirit (until hit capped) > Hit (until hit capped) > Intellect > Spellpower > Haste (under GCD cap) > Crit

Naturally Hit and Spirit above the cap is worthless (from a DPS standpoint, spirit still grants mana regen) and can be reallocated through reforging to Haste or Crit (depending on which isn't already on the item). The haste cap is significantly higher than it is currently because the reduction of raid buffs which provide haste however is still bound functionally by Nature's Grace being a factor as it can be active for around half the time. Also haste above the GCD cap will not drop in value as substantially as it does today since the cast time on Wrath was extended. A crit soft cap isn't obtainable anymore since Eclipse no longer affects Crit chance (no amount of stacking crit can cause you to exceed 100% crit chance).
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

In all honesty, as far as which patch I need advice for, both really just to give me a direction to go in so that worst case scenario I can shelve my warrior and still have a semi raid ready toon.

As far as the different caps go hit/crit and stuff like that, could numbers be provided please?

In 3.3.5... hit cap is achieved at 17% chance to hit with spells. Balance gains up to 7% chance to hit through talents and an additional 1% hit if grouped with a Draenei (Alliance only). The amount of Hit Rating required to have 9% hit is 237 for an Alliance druid and 10% requires 263 Hit Rating for a Horde druid or an Alliance druid not grouped with a Draenei.
    In 4.0.1... you no longer gain Hit Rating directly through talents, however you have a talent which converts 100% of your Spirit into Hit Rating. In order to have 17% chance to hit, you require 446 Hit rating and Spirit (with the talent). Since spirit also provides some mana efficienty, Spirit is valued slightly higher than Hit (though it does not result in any DPS difference).

In 3.3.5... crit is soft capped at the point where a Lunar Eclipse (+40% chance to crit with Starfire) causes you to exceed 100% chance to crit. Since spell critical is variable depending on multiple factors or Intellect, Crit Rating, and raid buffs and debuffs, there is no set number for this (for example, as Intellect increases, the amount of Crit Rating required to be capped decreases). A balance druid in full tier 10 may exceed the crit soft cap, a new balance druid will be no where remotely close to such a cap.
    In 4.0.1... it isn't functionally possible to cap crit (exceed 100% chance to crit with any ability) for a balance druid. Lunar Eclipse no longer grants increased crit chance, but rather increases arcane damage.

In 3.3.5... the haste soft cap is generally 401 Haste Rating assuming you have a elemental or restoration shaman droping Wrath of Air totem. Without Wrath of Air, the haste soft cap for a balance druid is 585 Haste Rating. This soft cap is the point where while Nature's Grace is active, your GCD reaches the 1 second minimum and since Wrath's cast time is also the same as the GCD functionally Wrath ceases to benefit from haste as well.
    In 4.0.1... many haste buffs are removed. At level 80 to be haste soft capped during the revised Nature's Grace it would be 795 Haste Rating. While value of haste deminishes beyond this point since Nature's Grace averages closer to 50% uptime instead of over 90% uptime and because Wrath base cast time was increased so it is not equal to the GCD anymore, the value of haste does not deminish nearly as much as it does today beyond the cap.

+ Reply to Thread