+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 4.0.1 Protection Warrior Builds.

Not gonna call you wrong for wanting to try out the new talents... by all means.. that's where theorycrafting is born... trial and error... the war academy from blood craze would be wrong however.. thats raw survivability for a busty hs and cleave ... wouldnt be a good move..... you're also severely gimping your aoe tanking ability with no BnT or TS.. and while you dont need gag order by any means... it does help alot for positioning and grouping.

3/2/31 - Aoe threat, trash, 5mans:

http://wowtal.com/#k=metYw4z.a5o.warrior.ROn0xe

2/3/31 - Raid bosses (mainly single-target, high DTPS bossfights):

http://wowtal.com/#k=IqpbhYB.a5o.warrior.-TPqOt
    Last edited by Dragaan; 10-11-2010 at 11:54 PM.

someone mentioned earlier the reset of taunt from vig if you missed,

i could of sworn that they were taking taunt spell hit req out

why would you not want vig for heroic dungeons. always having members asking me for it. has it changed that much.

Vigilance no longer has the threat transfer element, which is what people generally wanted it for. It's now designed more for putting on another tank, hence not much use in a 5 man.

Quote Originally Posted by Vassive View Post
    Not gonna call you wrong for wanting to try out the new talents... by all means.. that's where theorycrafting is born... trial and error... the war academy from blood craze would be wrong however.. thats raw survivability for a busty hs and cleave ... wouldnt be a good move..... you're also severely gimping your aoe tanking ability with no BnT or TS.. and while you dont need gag order by any means... it does help alot for positioning and grouping.

the idea with war academy being to create synergy with the VR from IV. I know it's probably not the best option, but I like to toy with that stuff As for AoE, I don't suspect having issues as I've not had issues with it since Vanilla. If it turns out that SW/TC is not enough of course I'll pick up BnT.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

I'm definantly going with http://wowtal.com/#k=I-0qD3O.a5o.warrior.ROEurs

Reasoning

Did not pick
    Blood and Thunder - Not gonna be useful in raid enviroments
    Shield Specialization - No rage problems on PTR
    Thunderstruck - Spaming TC will be a dps and threat loss, won't be able to stack this.

Picked
    Gag Order - 30 sec CD Heroic throw will be extremely nice for P1 heroic Arthas getting ghouls out of the AoE
    Safeguard - Melee ranged intervene = 30 sec CD pain suppression, extremely nice for burst phases
    Impending Victory - Most of the hate for this is about it being a DPS talent, however after 10 min of beating on something there's no way someone is gonna pull agro and you should switch from being a threat whore to being a DPS, This will help that while including a little bonus heal.
    Last edited by Mercarcher; 10-12-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragaan View Post
    3/2/31 - Aoe threat, trash, 5mans:

http://wowtal.com/#k=metYw4z.a5o.warrior.ROn0xe

2/3/31 - Raid bosses (mainly single-target, high DTPS bossfights):

http://wowtal.com/#k=IqpbhYB.a5o.warrior.-TPqOt

hmm

so you need 2 specs? because my original plan was(since dual spec is so cheap now).to dual spec,and have my offspec be prot and my other spec be arms.because i like pvping and arms looks fun in pvp(or with the changes to casters,would prot be better to go.cuz i heard they made ranged dps and casters pretty retarded on the ptr and im guessing its gonna be like that on live now,so i wonder if prot would be better to go for pvp then arms)

but i was thinkin somethin like this http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LMZobZfbGdRRodbu for my prot spec.im unsure on my arms spec cuz i havent really been lookin up 4.0.1 arms builds.but i figured id worry about getting dual spec first and stuff before that
    Last edited by PimpJuice4; 10-12-2010 at 12:53 PM.

I've decided to go for two prot specs this time, my first spec is a HC/trash spec aimed at aoe tps/dps, the second spec is a boss spec aimed at self healing and a bit of single target dps.

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LhZ0bZcfGdRRobbu

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LMZhZIcGzRRRzbu

I still have to test them a bit, tried one HC so far, but most of my (extra) mouse buttons stopped working since the patch, so it wasn't a very smooth experience. I also have trouble fitting Rend into my rotation (on trash pulls), I figure it should be somewhere between the first shockwave and the second thunderclap (opening with Rend means you will lose aggro over pretty much every mob before the first GCD).

Edit: I decided to drop Vigilance in my HC spec because they removed the threat reduction/transfer aspect of the talent. Also, I couldn't find Mocking Blow, so I take it this skill has been removed from the game?

No idea what to pick for major glyphs.
    Meant as a dungeon spec: http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LMbZZffrdRRobbuV0ZMck

went with http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LZcbZIcGzRRodbu for tonight and enjoyed it a lot more then i expected, prot dps is a lot higher now, i just wish i could still spam heroic strike :[

Currently running with http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LZhbZcrGdRRodbu

I'll most likely respec for War Academy though, I found myself using cleave (glyphed) a lot for any streaming/moving trash pull.

Hello gentlemen, I was curious if any of you more-intelligent-than-me people would critique this build as harshly as possible.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LhZ0bZf0GdRRRdbu

Reasoning:

Arms
    I chose War Academy for the DPS boost which would in turn increase my TPS. The 3% healing doesn't seem like that big of a deal at this point.

Fury
    Blood craze is a really nice talent, however I am only at about 55k base HP. So this is a pretty minor HoT tick, so I went with cruelty. In both arms and fury tree I nixed the survivability talents for more DPS.

Protection
    Here I differed from many of the builds thus far. I tested blood and thunder out extensively with guildies in heroics and on trash pulls leading up to marrowgar and did not find it to be worth it at all. I was completely underwhelmed.

Shield Spec, tonight I will test whether or not I have any rage issues. I am not forseeing an issue, however.

Many of you make a strong point about the usefullness of gag order in raids... or lack thereof. However I see the heroic throw reduction + silence as very useful and plan to keep this.

Impending victory I am keeping while I do more testing. I am keeping this mostly for the DPS boost to add to my threat.

Safeguard I would never use.

Mercarcher makes a great point about TC being a loss, however I need those 2 points someplace. So it would be 2 points in BnT, Thunderstruck, or Shield Spec. I really think blood and thunder is useless at this point. The point where I disagree with Mercarcher is this: Spamming TC may be an overall loss, but adding it in on an occasional rotation, enough to keep the buff up, also increases the DPS of your shockwave by 10%. Shockwave is unavoidable by bosses and is huge for threat, at least in my testing. I have had no issues keeping the thunderstruck buff up while holding threat, and it adds alot to shockwave. Not to mention the synergy with TC + Cleave + Shockwave for aoe packs on trash.

Please critique and flame and let me know how stupid I am!

P.S, Glyphs:

Prime:
    Revenge
    Shield Slam
    Devastate

Major:
    In ICC Last night I used
    Shockwave
    Thunder Clap
    Sunder Armor,

Want to additionally test:
    Cleaving and possibly resonating power. Glyph of sunder armor is pretty lackluster as it APPEARS to add the debuff but not much for additional threat.

Minor:
    Command
    Battle
    Berserker Rage

My friend swears by furious sundering (which does affect devastate) however I have no issues with rage thus far. Plus being able to use a shout or berserker rage for a bit more rage on demand seems better.

Eh? When i tried Furious sundering last night it did nothing to my Devastate costs.

As for the healing talents in arms/fury: yeah unbuffed they won't matter that much - Bloodcraze does actually though since it ticks quite abit but nvm. But raid buffed they're gonna be quite notisable.

Concerning AoE tanking; i'm not specced into BnT since i find the threat and dmg of rend pathetic atm, Thunderstrick + Glyph of Cleave is more than enough. Cleave does insane threat when Vengeance gets up, and bumping mastery up abit + speccing Shield Specialization more or less ensures a constant rage flow, so cleave spamming is near-possible.

Mercarcher makes a great point about TC being a loss, however I need those 2 points someplace. So it would be 2 points in BnT, Thunderstruck, or Shield Spec. I really think blood and thunder is useless at this point. The point where I disagree with Mercarcher is this: Spamming TC may be an overall loss, but adding it in on an occasional rotation, enough to keep the buff up, also increases the DPS of your shockwave by 10%. Shockwave is unavoidable by bosses and is huge for threat, at least in my testing. I have had no issues keeping the thunderstruck buff up while holding threat, and it adds alot to shockwave. Not to mention the synergy with TC + Cleave + Shockwave for aoe packs on trash.

Please critique and flame and let me know how stupid I am!

P.S, Glyphs:

Prime:
    Revenge
    Shield Slam
    Devastate

Major:
    In ICC Last night I used
    Shockwave
    Thunder Clap
    Sunder Armor,

Want to additionally test:
    Cleaving and possibly resonating power. Glyph of sunder armor is pretty lackluster as it APPEARS to add the debuff but not much for additional threat.

Minor:
    Command
    Battle
    Berserker Rage
    A man after my own heart, I am doing the same thing with thunderstruck. I see no reason to not put the points there, however is because I took it over gag order. While it isn't being used to it's full potention it is increasing shockwave damage by 10% and t clap by 4%. I will have an aoe and single target prot spec but thunderstruck does no harm to me by having it. Gag order doesn't really do enough for me personally to take it instead. The only other difference we have, right down to glyphs is I put the extra points in shield spec instead of impending victory just because alot of people said how bad it is. However I might change that just because I don't need the rage while actually tanking and with full vengeance stacks another big hitting attack would be welcome, need to see how much victory rush does in comparison to devestate though.

I'm attemting to make a spec that works for both aoe and single target. Through running heroics with the build I posted above, I have a few musings. For one, impending victory is absolutely not worth it. Yeah I hit for 7-10k a few times with it, but over an entire heroic i only did 16k healing, which is nothing. Plus, I felt rage starved. I had a dk in my group pulling 10k dps so I had vigilance on him because obviously he was going to pull off me occasionally. This kept my taunt up and vigilance running, still though I was hearing 'not enough rage' pretty often. I think ironsides has it right with shield spec > impending victory.

My reasoning for that is while I was sitting there tanking, I was thinking... "i never really get pissed that I have too much rage." Nor do I get excited enough at this moment about impending victory for it to outweigh my frustration at not being able to cast abilities when I want to.

To reiterate, my goal is to make 1 tanking spec that I can use for heroics and for icc as well. I don't think you should need two. I have every intention of making a arms/fury dps offspec. I will conclude my testing tonight when we do the last 6 in ICC, but as it stands now, shield spec is useful. If i had to guess by cata it will be switched, though. We know we're going to have monster health pools, and that heal might be pretty giant by then, especially with the loss of aoe tanking necessitating the change of rotations and the abandonment of certain talents.

I am still really torn on the most optimal way to divide up the 5 extra points between war academy, blood craze, cruelty and field dressing.

I'm using a 2/3/31 build off the EJ forums. It does not take incite but maxes out Blood & Thunder as well as Thunderstruck. 1 Point in Hold the Line, kind of a floater point but its useful when it procs, and I also do not take Impending Victory since I'm not gonna be whacking something that is below 20% HP.

I've yet to test my spec in Heroics but it works ok in Raids I think I should've taken incite though. If I was going to use Vigilance I'd put it on the guy who keeps pulling aggro.

I think Incite is better than people have been giving it credit for. I think as time goes on, it will be a pretty well accepted talent. Blood and Thunder I think will go the way of rogue's improved distract. It's not necessary to hold threat, and makes tanking clunkier.

I like Shield Spec/Mastery. I find that rage does get tight at times (which is a good thing), and Shield Spec can help me get back up to a reasonable level so that I can get back to cleaving like a madman. It's especially good in rage sensitive situations where I can pop Shield Blaock and guarantee 100 rage for the next 10 seconds.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

I think Incite is better than people have been giving it credit for. I think as time goes on, it will be a pretty well accepted talent. Blood and Thunder I think will go the way of rogue's improved distract. It's not necessary to hold threat, and makes tanking clunkier.
    Incite seems to be the way to go single target, I'm not too sure about multi-target. I also would like to see the values of the talents once Cata hits with the gear changes that will definitely mix up the stats and change up priorities. Blood and thunder is just a filler basically. I know I've already spent 52 gold on one respec.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitochi View Post
    I'm using a 2/3/31 build off the EJ forums. It does not take incite but maxes out Blood & Thunder as well as Thunderstruck. 1 Point in Hold the Line, kind of a floater point but its useful when it procs, and I also do not take Impending Victory since I'm not gonna be whacking something that is below 20% HP.

I've yet to test my spec in Heroics but it works ok in Raids I think I should've taken incite though. If I was going to use Vigilance I'd put it on the guy who keeps pulling aggro.
    That's the spec I started with as well, but i take incite instead of BnT, and put 2 in the hold the line and only 2 in shield spec.

+ Reply to Thread