+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.0.1 Protection Warrior Builds.

4.0.1 Protection Warrior Builds.

With the likely release of Patch 4.0.1 next Tuesday Oct. 12th, I was wondering what builds people are looking at. I realize some things could change, but we should have a decent base to work with at this point I think. Also I looked for the proper place to post this and came up empty, not really a HALP! and talents don't belong in Theory or Gear. So here goes.

Been checking this out and wanted to brainstorm.

Here is what I have come up with: http://wowtal.com/#k=IeasuO1Z.a2y.warrior

Prot Tree
    Incite does not really impress me. From what I have been reading we will be heroic striking A LOT less due to normalized rage.

Hold the Line seems questionable since I don't know how much we will be parring. But is a filler to get down. I maxed it cause I had one point left over.

Seems you will need either 1 point in Incite or Hold the Line to get down to Shockwave.

Safeguard still seems too situational to be used.

Impending Victory sounds lacking, though I have not read the new tool tip on Victory Rush.

The rest seem like must haves.

Fury Tree
    Blood Craze and Cruelty seem like no brainers.

Booming Voice is questionable, though reducing the CD's all while increasing rage seem like a good bet, given the other options.

Arms Tree
    Field Dressing is a must have.

Second Wind seems cool, but I have no idea if its possible to reach.

Impale is completely out of reach now, probably the same with Deep Wounds, so that threat build is gone.

Blitz seems like a fun talent, not sure if its worth it.

Discussion is most welcome.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

So I assume that you'd be taking out booming voice, cruelty and 1 point of field dressing for warriors at 80? because we won't get the 85 level cap until Cata drops

or would you keep the extra damage?

^_^

I saw at least two different builds, one being you spec talents in the arms tree (getting deep wounds) and the other spec'ing into the fury tree (for shouts). For 4.0.1, I'd likely take the healing points as much as possible (ignoring victory rush points in the prot tree) as healer mana should be an issue and the healing talents (in theory) will help.

I also have a high-avoidance set that I will likely test out for 4.0.1, as not taking the damage is more likely to be beneficial... however it does need to be tested.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Pretty much the same build as I was looking at except ... despite all the negative feedback, am going to stick with Impending Victory, I just can't pass up any chance for additional healing particularly with the new focus on healers mana being so at issue.

Heavy Repercussions and Impending Victory both sound kind of lacking to me. I'm trying to decide with that last point whether I want to put it into Impending Victory for the extra healing or Safeguard. Seems like that 15% reduced damage on the other tank might occasionally come in handy, but impending victory would only be useful very occasionally and only on boss fights, giving me the HP that a few dot ticks would, while significantly reducing the effectiveness of Victory Rush outside of boss fights.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

For Heroics/AOE:

http://wowtal.com/#k=DKOYlPrW.a2y.warrior

Extra rage from Blitz and War Academy increasing Cleave damage should be more helpful for heroics. No point in Vigilance since it's not useful without an off tank now.

For Raids/Single Target:

http://wowtal.com/#k=IqpbT_g.a2y.warrior

Field Dressing and Blood Craze to boost heals. Don't really need Blood and Thunder or Thunderstruck for single target.

Quote Originally Posted by Arterius View Post
    For Heroics/AOE:

http://wowtal.com/#k=DKOYlPrW.a2y.warrior

Extra rage from Blitz and War Academy increasing Cleave damage should be more helpful for heroics. No point in Vigilance since it's not useful without an off tank now.

For Raids/Single Target:

http://wowtal.com/#k=IqpbT_g.a2y.warrior

Field Dressing and Blood Craze to boost heals. Don't really need Blood and Thunder or Thunderstruck for single target.
    rage seems to be plentifull. i dont feel the need to spec for it.. at least on the ptr. blitz seems to be a must.

As I just got the Beta last night I was looking at the talents and it seems pretty interesting the choices so far and I honestly havent kept up with Warrior theorycrafting (since I wasn't sure I am playing for cata).

Seems similar to some of the builds I've been messing with.

I agree that Incite seems lacking.

I think hold the line could be 2 floater points to put wherever you like. Depending on how you play or personal tastes I could see putting those there or in Blitz or even Rude Interruption potentially.

If rage ends up being tight, I could maybe see Battle Trance having some use.

I really can't see anything where I'd diagree with the choices you've made.
    "What we need is a special blend of Psychology and extreme violence"

This is the spec I am looking at using once the patch hits. http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LMoZhZsbGdRRRbbu

The major distinctions here are:
    • 1 point in Incite - floater which could switch to Shield Spec if the additional rage will help
    • 2 points in Gag Order - could be shifted to Incite or Shield Spec if those prove to be more useful. I like Gag Order for the silence and reduced HT cooldown (I love me my HT)
    • Lack of Vigilance - I just don't see Vig being a worthwhile expenditure at this point as I will mostly be doing 5 mans and not hitting up raids too often.
    • Blood Craze, Field Dressing and Impending Victory - I like to ensure my own survival as much as possible and with all the changes to healing I feel like it may be a good idea to hedge my bets a bit.
    • Thunderstruck/Blood and Thunder - Fun talents with utility while we are still in AoE fest WotLK. Provide additional flavor to warrior tanking.
    Thats it in a nutshell
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwerk View Post
    This is the spec I am looking at using once the patch hits. http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LMoZhZsbGdRRRbbu
    [/LIST]Thats it in a nutshell
    Very nice thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwerk View Post
    Requires lvl 81, u cant use this spec until cata, u have to remove 1 point

Quote Originally Posted by Yesitis View Post
    Requires lvl 81, u cant use this spec until cata, u have to remove 1 point
    Dang wound up with the wrong link. Meant to drop the point from Blitz to get it to 80.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Prot Tree
    It's Incite versus War Academy. Incite is slightly better for single target threat, War Academy for aoe due to bonus damage to cleave.

Hold the Line looks decent with 10-15% parry at level 85.

Safeguard is still too situational. Might have it's use on a LK esque fight (glyphed!) but it's still a problem with the aggro reduction part on the other tank.

Impending Victory sucks for teamplay, hands down. 5% heal of 150k hitpoints is 7,5k and all that while wasting a gcd?

Gag Order's use in a raid environment isn't that appealing. It will have it's uses with ranged silence pull on casters in heroics.

Fury Tree
    Blood Craze combined with field dressing it's 9% hp reg over 5 seconds every 10th hit. It will help in all situations, no question. But it's not that big heal you might need ASAP in a raid environment compared to death strike or words of glory/lay on hands.

Cruelty is decent for tps for sure.

Booming Voice is comparable to improved bloodrage nowadays and nobody picks that..

Rude interruption is interesting for 5 mans.

Piercing Howl is just awesome. If you ever pick it up you don't want to play without it any more. Having a realiable and spammable snare without having to swap stances is pretty good.

Arms Tree
    Field Dressing is a must have.

War Academy see Incite.

Second Wind is too situational.

Tactical Mastery not needed for pve tanking at all.

Blitz i love my improved charge talent but you can use heroic leap if you really need to lock the mobs down on the pull.

Drums of War combined with Piercing Howl it would be insanely good.. but we can't get both at the same time.

Deep wounds today at least 5% of my overall damage.. could be handy in a tps build like 8/2/31or 8/2/31.

For lvl 80ish i'll go with something like 2/3/31. I guess Vigilance is more important than ever because there's no taunt glyph and a missed taunt on Saurfang, Sindragosa or the Lich King himself really hurts without the refreshing part.
    Last edited by klausi; 10-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.

I'm thinking a build like http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LrZZI0GdRRRzru

Blood and Thunder as well as thunderstruck won't really be needed in a raid environment, with safeguard being a 0 range pain suppression it will be quite handy in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Prot Tree

Impending Victory sucks for teamplay, hands down. 5% heal of 150k hitpoints is 7,5k and all that while wasting a gcd?
    I think we will see this does in fact not suck.

I'm sitting at 6k attack power raid buffed ATM, I've got 80k health, so with vengeance that's another 8000 AP. Do you really think a 14000 AP victory rush is no longer worth a GCD?

He wasn't refering to it's damage but it's self heal component. And judging from numbers on the PTR i'm likely to agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brage View Post
    He wasn't refering to it's damage but it's self heal component. And judging from numbers on the PTR i'm likely to agree with him.
    He said that it is "wasting a gcd" however with 14000 AP it will be significantly more dmg than devastate. With nothing better to put points in my points will be here and it will be used when ss is on CD, possibly before revenge pending testing.

By nothing better lets look whats open in my spec

Blood and Thunder - Good for AoE, but excluding trash the only time I'm tanking more than 1 thing is Deathwhisperer, Dream Walker, and Raging spirits. I don't think it will be worth the points just for AoE rend on those fights.

Shield Specialization - Testing on the PTR has shown no lack of rage for tanks.

Thunderstruck - See Blood and Thunder

I'm probably going to take 1 point out of Gag order to put into War Academe, but as someone only focusing on getting Light of Dawn I believe my talents here are justified.

For sure it's a 14.000 AP Victory Rush but only at execute range and a 50% chance after devastate and it can't procc sword and board.

I'm not doubting that it might be more damage than a devastate, but being a tank i deal in threat, not damage and we're still not at the point where those two are equal.

From a surviveabillity PoV; I really can't see this talent being worth the points since if you can get your target down to 20% without it, you can probably kill it aswell. It might be a good idea for soloing old content as my experience atleast, is that you tend to run out of self heals at the later stages, but then again we now have Bloodcraze and Field Dressing (9% heal).
    It might be good for those fights where the boss soft enrages at ~20%, but again i doubt a 5% heal, that can't proc SnB will be worth it. It won't take prio over revenge for me thats for sure.

+ Reply to Thread