+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to raiding gear: is mine good enough?

New to raiding gear: is mine good enough?

Hello everyone,
    im new to the whole idea of raiding. i have done quite afew pug heroic's (including chamber of reflection *woop*)

i was wondering is my gear good enough to do raids like VOA 10 and TOC 10?

gear:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ius&cn=Cyanins

talents:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-ta...yanins&group=1

(yes i know my def is lacking 3 points but that depends on the trinket i will use currently im swapping 100 stam for 5 points in deffence)

i am a tank (if you cant tell), if you can see any improvements or any gear that is missing that i MUST get before i even contemplate moving forward please let me know

-nick
    p.s thanks again

Your gear is fine for VoA 10/25 and ToC 10/25 and maybe even the first wing of ICC 10. Someone can correct my math but if I recall correctly the 15 resilience on your shoulder combined with the 537 defense puts you at uncrittable for raid bosses.

Put an armor kit on your legs, upgrade your boot enchant, enchant your weapon.
    I'd recommend changing the strength gem in your legs to expertise/stamina.

Talents:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LAM00fZhZVItrx0zidczsGo
    Will leave you two points to do with as you please.
    King of Cheese, Pope of Lemons, Warlord of Pancakes, Sultan of Omelletes, Czar of Zuchini, Kaiser of Pretzels, Archduke of Apples, Duke of Pimento-loaf, Prime-Minister of Meats, Count of Tomato, The Regent of Danish, Chieftan of Chutney, and Lord of the Dance.

Wow, thanks! hehe never respeced before thanks alot DyGrav and TheOtherOne you guys are the best

if there are any more inprovements that should be made please tell me so i can get right on them
    Bad Moon Rising - The new PVE 10 man guild for Xavius (EU)
    *Currently Recruiting*

No problem, sorry I can't help more with a warrior, but mines only lvl 42 right now. I tank on a DK and a Pally. I do know there's always a debate on here about filling out Shield Specialization in the Deep Wounds spec. Some do it, some don't like it; don't be surprised if you see some variations on it come your way.

Can you raid ICC - depends on who you raid with - with the 25% buff we pulled someone only slightly better geared through to 6/12 10n. If everyone else is geared similarlly, probably be hard.

Pugging will be difficult with that gear to be honest because most pugs assume GS = ability.

Some suggestions:

You still have a lot of triumph upgrades - stay with randoms a little while longer:

Helm - Triumph 245
    Neck - Conquest 226 (trade triumph down)

Chest/Wrists - Crafted 245 - should be fairly cheap for mats now Titansteel + runed orbs < 80g now - If you're looking for a way to earn gold, have you done all the quests in places like Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord - in 3 nights clearing out those zones I made about 3k gold from quest rewards, drops, farming along the way, etc. That should be more than enough for crafting the wrists and chest.

Back - Farm the cloak from the 1st boss in HoR Normal. Farm the Sheild from the Second Boss (1st boss cloak has bonus armor = golden, 2nd boss is the best non-raiding/PvP sheild available)

Trinkets - replace one with Glyph of Idom (1792 armor, 245 Triump Emblem item). The other is personal preference, but I'd suggest farming ToC5 Normal for The Black Heart. It's 46 less stamina, but the good uptime on the proc makes it valuable.

Frosties - I'd upgrade your belt and then your wrists so Vergis Belt first then Gauntlets of the Kraken. Major upgrades.

2% threat enchant on gloves (armsman) is frankly useless. The 2% doesn't do anything really. If you were right at the edge, maybe, but having rogues Trick you, hunters MD to you and pallys use Hand of Salv on high threat + your use of vig > great.

34k unbuffed health isn't bad for entry into ICC but 24k armor is pretty low. 28k+ would be better. It will really be noticable against the giant bone guys that spring from the traps, Morrogwar, and Saurfang's enrage having the extra armor.

Morrowgar was actually the toughest boss for us in first wing to a less geared tank up because of the more common interrupts to healing. more armor will help a good deal with this.

Others - you could buy the mats and get the 226 boots crafted, or try FoS for the 232 tanking boots to drop

Don't gem Str... o_O

Tusker's on your boots (+15 sta, +minor run speed)

Don't forget the leatherworking leg enchants, 55 sta right there

Ideally that 30 Sta gem in your gloves would be in your belt's prismatic socket and the +def/+Sta in the belt would be in your gloves. Hit both bonuses that way. Mostly though, you're going to ignore socket bonuses except for:
    A) 1 +Dodge/+Sta gem in the best red slot (usually helm or belt or boots, they usually offer either just a R, or a RB)
    B) If you're low on Def, hitting yellow sockets with +10 Def/+15 Sta, though you're almost a the point you don't need to do this (though since it's 3 stamina, I did use the +10 Def/+15 sta gem in my 245 Triumph Helm before I got the 251 tier helm).
    C) Other than that, pure stamina - and wait to see if this changes in cata.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    if I recall correctly the 15 resilience on your shoulder combined with the 537 defense puts you at uncrittable for raid bosses.
    You can actually be as low as 536 if you have 15 resil. Lol, I wouldn't normally know that but I got kinda low on defense rating on my warrior and had to do some careful checking ot make sure I was still uncrittable. 536 def = 5.44% reduction in crit chance, and 15 resil = 0.16% reduction in crit chance, which comes out to exactly 5.6%, the magic quantity.

Talents:

You don't need anger management - remove the point there and put it in Deep Wounds

Take the 5 points out of cruetly. Put 3 in Armored to the Teeth (essentially 1 AP for every 36 armor, at 24k armor thats 667 ap). (2 extra points now)

Take the 2 points out of blood rage. (4 extra points now)

Put 3 points in Incite (1 extra point now)

Remove 3 points from Puncture (4 extra points now)

Put 2 points in Improved Disciplines (the lower CD is important later on) and 2 points in Gag order (sheild bashing Lady Deathwhisperer and risen arch mages is very valuable)

If threat is a problem, take 3 points out of Shield spec and put them in Focused rage (focused rage > Puncture. Puncture only works for Sunder/Dev, focused rage for all offensive attacks)

Glyphs - Devastate, Sheild Wall, and Taunt are the most common. Taunt will be important as you're learning some of the fights (Gormock from ToC, Lady Deathwhisperer, Deathbringer Saurfang, Festergut, Adds with Lady Dreamwalker in ICC).

Minor glyph, swap out blood rage for charge. A little extra rage right off the bat, plus other warriors can give battle or pallys might. The extra HP from Command is what you'll want to make sure is up.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Thank you Loganisis, Bashal and TheOtherOne!

You guys have been really helpful! i have taken your advise on board and re speced and got new gems and what not
    I will still reffer to your posts when i need help!

Yesterday me and my guild had a successful raid. we only died on a count of i was standing on the wrong person *silly mistakes*

thanks guys
    -nick
    Bad Moon Rising - The new PVE 10 man guild for Xavius (EU)
    *Currently Recruiting*

I think what Loganisis is right on and perfect. Use this guide and do what is here and that will equal instant results.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    Can you raid ICC - depends on who you raid with - with the 25% buff we pulled someone only slightly better geared through to 6/12 10n. If everyone else is geared similarlly, probably be hard.

Pugging will be difficult with that gear to be honest because most pugs assume GS = ability.

A) 1 +Dodge/+Sta gem in the best red slot (usually helm or belt or boots, they usually offer either just a R, or a RB)
    B) If you're low on Def, hitting yellow sockets with +10 Def/+15 Sta, though you're almost a the point you don't need to do this (though since it's 3 stamina, I did use the +10 Def/+15 sta gem in my 245 Triumph Helm before I got the 251 tier helm).
    C) Other than that, pure stamina - and wait to see if this changes in cata.

+ Reply to Thread