+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BFF Report - Warhammer Online

BFF Report - Warhammer Online

We hear the term "WoW Killer" from time to time about whatever various games are coming out, but nothing compared to when Warhammer and AoC were announced. For those that were around, it was a mad frenzy of long time tabletop Warhammer players that were on a hate spree in the forums. Now that the game is offering their 'Endless Free Trial', which allows players to experience some of the games features and level to Rank 10, I decided to give it a shot and see just how awesomazing this game was.

For those that don't know, WoW has managed to withstand the 'brutal loss' of its many subscribers to these various 'killers'. For the most part, I think we all agree that the only think that will bring down the game will be Blizzard themselves, or time. Besides those two factors, what single event/game/occurance, do you think will have the largest impact on the population? No, 2012 is not an answer.

Click here for more episodes of the BFF Report!
    Follow Zam and me on Twitter!

I must agree with you, I think WoW 2 will probably be the most likely thing to kill WoW.

Blizzard has this whole thing down to a science. The sheer amount of experience and know-how they have on tap is staggering. The one trap I hope they don't fall into is to make the game too easy. If everyone can have everything, what is there to strive for?

Warhammer online is a fun game, sadly the repetitive content in terms of PvE felt way too lack clustering even when being designed more around PvP. Some quality PvE on the side would've been a fun change of phase.

I lasted a few months but eventually, i grew bored of farming gear sets constantly thru PvP and having as good as no variation while leveling up. The bugs still present in the game made me gave up on it eventually.

Personally the game had potentional, still has but priorities and probably no longer being funded enough since EA has their new 'mmo child' releasing next year, i don't really predict a hopeful future for the game.

But i did find the class balance and PvP more enjoyable at times then i ever had in WoW.

Awesome report. I never cared much to check out the game when i first heard about it, but now that ive seen it it actually looks fun.
    I love the end with the guys farming kills off a friend to gain xp, funny stuff.

It's sad that the bugs (clipping on doodads, etc.) are still there even from when I played on beta. Although the pvp is fun, it's something that's just fun when a lot of people are doing it. Since the game died down, they had to consolidate a ton of servers into 4 servers last I checked. It's probably less now.

First tier may be nice, but that's because it's free to play during that tier. Tiers 2-3 are the most boring because they hardly have anyone going through them, and it just makes for a dull experience. Tier 4 (last tier) has more people doing it, and I guess they improved the city raids.

The game had potential, but they released it way too buggy and the queue times on the high pop servers were ridiculous, especially when you got disconnected 40 minutes into them. That caused people to up and quit, thus crippling the entire PvP aspect of the game due to lack of players and obvious bugs that affected the experience of game play.

I believe they used the same engine as one of their older games as well, which also was a huge mistake.

But really, the way open RvR works in that game was amazing if there were enough people there, and that's something pretty unique to that game which made it fun. Too bad the other problems overshadowed it, and some of those problems are still there today.
    "Kyle, this is the way the world works. If you want to find quality friends, you have to wade through all the dicks first." -Cartman

There are populated server since they are now no longer restricted by region are fairly crowded on every tier.

Badlands, Karak-azgal both where i leveled thru Orvr in T2 and T3
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 09-30-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: engrish

Hopefully Warhammer 40k will get all the things wrong with this game right and still preserve the goods parts.

Warhammer 40K is aimed to be more of a PvE game then PvP

All I know is that Mike is fk'n hilarious. Great report as usual.

I played WarHammer enough before it was released to realize it was definitely not a "WoW Killer". The PvP focus was something that many people had wanted, but the fact that PvE was, as others said, very repetetive, and the number of bugs that were never fixed, assured me that a very large chunk of the players that left WoW for it would be back soon. I did like the public quest idea though, and hope to see that used in future games more.
    Last edited by Baalim; 10-01-2010 at 11:21 AM.

The only online game that shows any staying power potential in the future looks to be the Kotor online game from Bioware. Really the main thing that has killed all the MMO's looking to compete with wow is the sloppy / early release. (DnD, Vanguard, LoTR, Conan, EVE, Warhammer, Aion, Startrek). If Kotor isn't pushed to the shelves before it's finished I'm sure it will be a great game.

Other than that the only thing that can kill blizzard is itself... but that does have a double meaning. If blizzard drives off it's customers or releases an MMO better than wow.

I doont think that Warhammer will be so PvP like this way, i think that it will have a focus more in PvE
    How much your char worth? Check out in http://maldy.net

+ Reply to Thread