+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How's Stargate Universe compared to SG1 and Atlantis?

How's Stargate Universe compared to SG1 and Atlantis?

I'm a big fan of SG1 and Atlantis for the sci-fi action, and I've seen mixed reviews about Stargate Universe, and as such, I just want to know, expecting more sci-fi action and fighting malicious alien races, would SGU make the cut?
    Speak out! Ask for Stargate Atlantis to be brought back!
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SaveSGA/

SG1 and Atlantis have a somewhat positive outlook on things. SGU is highly grimdark, however. Basically, a bunch of random soldiers and civies get trapped on an old spaceship made by the beings who made the stargates. It was either some sort of seeder or maintainence ship, at the very least. It's old, falling apart, and they have limited resources. Seems a lot like Battlestar Galactica in tone, only a bit more grim. Also has some very weird things going on with faith.

Battle star gate voyager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler View Post
    I'm on a shark

With Grimdark, though.

Well I'm intrigued by the following review found at http://www.amazon.com/Series-Preview...y=addThreeStar

The original Stargate, SG!, and its spinoff, Stargate Atlantis, were pure entertainment with some elements of drama thrown into the mix. The casting for both those series were amazing. If the creators and producers were so anxious to get back to the franchise, I don't know why they did not continue with Stargate Atlantis another three to five years . . . unless, as seems obvious, they were anxious try something totally different, which they do not. And that is the inherent problem with Stargate Universe. They don't fully commit to this new darker version of Stargate. They have regurgitated many of the stock characters, but devoid of the old humor these characters are boring and one dimensional. Eli, the math whiz who unknowingly solves their energy problem, is a very poor contrivance. They should have steered clear of the brilliant gamer being drafted by the government. When they pulled a similar stunt with Rodney's sister, Genie, it was done much more artfully.

And while I love Richard Dean Anderson ad Amanda Tapping, I think they should have had faith in the old franchise, and the devoted fans of that franchise by also steering clear of any of their characters to introduce us to new characters, as well any of the old gags (i.e. characters who like to name unknown things) or iconic references . . . such as Eli's silly reference to The Planet of the Apes. In another show, say SG1 or Stargate Atlantis, it would have been funny. It does not work here

I think the idea of a darker Stargate was an excellent one, but when the producers hired the writers and the actors they should have been thinking Battlestar Galactica meets the science of the Stargate, but without nothing of the old franchise in sight, except the Stargate technology.

Stargate Universe comes off as a humorless imitation of its two brilliant predecessors, and it lacks serious dramatic story lines and great actors. The one known actor, Lou Diamond Phillips, is made to look a buffoon. He is a solid actor, and they give him a second rate part in preference to second rate actors.

If this show makes it, it will only be due to the loyalty of hardcore SG1 fans.
    How on point is that?
    Speak out! Ask for Stargate Atlantis to be brought back!
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SaveSGA/

Re: How's Stargate Universe compared to SG1 and Atlantis?

I've been watching SG:U from the beginning and sofar I absolutely love it. Excellent series.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

Stargate: Universe is a brilliant edition to the story. It's done in a very different style, it feels like Battlestar: Galactica in the sense that they're trying to make the characters and the situation they're in seem real, and there actually are consequences, characters you get attached to can die right before your eyes, the situation is always dire and unlike the other shows, there's very little exploration. It's a much needed edition to Stargate, and looking back on how corny(although lovably corny) SG-1 in it's youth was, you would almost wish it had the amazing dramatic feel that Universe has.
    The Ashbringer...

If you like Deep Space 90210, Lost, Survivor, the remake of Battle Star Galactica, you'll probably love SGU: Survivor

I'd say give the series a shot.

For my 2, I gave it 2 seasons (or 2 half seasons, or however they do it) and it was still blah for me. The epic feel of SG1 and SGA is gone. Replaced with constant and over-the-top/over-done interpersonal conflict. I dislike all shows like that so SGU isn't for me.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

To be honest, any Stargate will do me, SG-2 would be fine, SG-15 Even!
    Shame MGM are going out of business, it's really putting a halt to any future SG Movies .
    The Ashbringer...

Re: How's Stargate Universe compared to SG1 and Atlantis?

Find it to be very dark and the story lines deal with the actors feeling sorry for themselves. Actors do a good job but the stories leave a lot to be desired.

Sent using Tapatalk.

I like the grittier, more BSG feel to it, but swam put it best with battlestargate voyager, except the plots are far better than anything voyager had. More along the lines of deep space 9.

I'd add a little bit of The Unit in there with the interpersonal drama stuff, so combo BSG, The Unit, Stargate:Atlantis, and DS9 with the plot from voyager mixed in.

Sad how nothing is original anymore, eh?

I did pick it up on bluray after watching it first on netflix.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

I've watched SG-1 and most of SG Atlantis (left off on the episode when they make the stargate highway) and I have only seen the commercials for Universe... I wont say anything as I haven't seen first episode yet, but I can't get into it like the other two, slow internet so I never download the episodes.

Somebody should have put Dr. Rush down like a rabid dog long ago in SGU. Long Ago!

They are ending this show prematurely, but it's really all MGM's fault. They went bankrupt, and decided to put money in other things (new 007 movie). Give it some time, and they will bring it back one way or another. It is definitely worth a watch, although SG1 and Atlantis were far greater. I think it's hard to really create that bond with everyone though when they only have 2 seasons. Give it a gander. Robert Carlyle is an amazing actor, and he shows it here.

+ Reply to Thread