+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: warrior snap threat

warrior snap threat

Mine is bad.. am i doomed to fail? any suggestions here would help

In what kinds of situations?

Single target:

Right before going in, pop bloodrage, charge in, pop shieldblock on the way in & open up with shield slam. This is about the highest burst threat you can get on the warrior. Follow up with revenge if possible otherwise start devastating till Sword & Board procs & continue shieldslamming. You should be able to get at least two shield slams inside the opening shieldblock and that will be a ton of initial threat. 5 sunders can come later on its own, dont worry about getting those up fast.

Two targets:

Heroic Throw one target while you charge the second one. The above points for single target still apply. As soon as both targets are in range, use a revenge and switch between both targets with your shield slams. For the initial heroic throw part, i have a macro that'll HT my focus target while i charge my normal target, i find it eases the pull

Multiple targets:
    Again, run in with shieldblock up. It'll increase the reflective damage component. If you know there's an aoe pull coming up, try racing a little ahead of your dps. Charge in (preferably the target at the back) & thunderclap and KEEP MOVING. You want to end up on the other side of the mob pack and facing your raid so that hopefully all mobs will be in a cone in front of you then shockwave. Spam thunderclap every time it's off cooldown. AoE WILL pull off you but at least the tclap, your running ahead a little and the stun from shockwave will give you enough time to start a rotation that only a few run off & you can taunt those back.

This is how i do stuff at least. But on aoe packs any paladin or bear or DK will pull off me easily (dk is usually the slowest to pull off me though)

Oh and heroic strike for single target & cleave for twin & aoe pulls must ALWAYS be queued up.

the most common situation is multi target.. single target boss fights i have no issues at all. multi target adds are the problem.. i was tanking heroic 10 dw last night, usually id charge in, tk, and before i ss the target, it was already out of range from me, as it was following a dps.

Just sounds like dps is nuking before you've been allowed to pick the mobs up tbh. You have 2 aoe abilities on gcd (thunderclap and shockwave) and one on next melee (cleave), if you're using those and not getting threat initially then it's not your fault. Try talking to your dps, explain that the first attack doesn't always land due to rng and only does so much threat anyway, if they go over that, they'll get aggro and you only have so many taunts. It might be the case that it's not a problem if they are not exceeding the limit of how much you can taunt them back.

On a related note, if you're not using them already, the tidy plates and threat plates addons are useful for seeing which mobs are loose and taunting them back.

Edit: forgot to mention you could ask for tricks/md if needed to pick up multiple mobs.
    Last edited by Delmonte; 08-21-2010 at 12:34 PM.

For the specific case of Lady Deathwhisper (i assume you meant that by DW, dreamwalker doesnt have any multimob tanking that needs worrying about - if it's getting to that point, your healers arent doing things right), i specifically work on picking up the fanatics and dont waste too much time picking up the adherents (unless they're enraged, etc). A taunt or two should give your dps enough time to take them down anyway. The 3 spawns are too spread apart for a warrior to round them up in the max 2 gcd that dps usually allow a tank.

Snap threat can be generated pretty easily. Charge, Shield Block while charging, Shield Slam, Revenge (procs off of the shield block), Shield Slam again, (glyphed this will really make some nice threat, unglyphed is fine too). On pulls you should be getting tricks/MDs anyways.

IIRC (I'm trying to recall info others have posted on Shockwave and Concussion Blow, I haven't run the math)

0) Vig highest burst melee DPS (you can throw this around later)

A) SB +SS
    B) Conc Blow
    C) Shockwave
    D) Start Dev/SS rotation with Revenge taking the place of Devestates when up

AND

E) Rogue TotT-ing you
    F) Hunters MD to you
    Last edited by Loganisis; 08-23-2010 at 08:26 AM.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

ALWAYS Shockwave > Conc Blow
    1) Does more damage
    2) Can't be dodged/parried
    3) With a scope, it also has a higher crit chance (cause it's a ranged attack ^_^)

Also, if you're going pro on this, don't forget to check out waiting for Revenge vs Devastate on GCD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

yea, ive pretty much got the rotations down, im nto new at tanking. I am just with a new group and they expect me to be able to pick up multiple adds without much raid support.

in reference to the above :

i was refering to dream walker.. I sapose there isnt any multi target pulls, but there are many single target back-to-back pulls, often, new adds are comming out b4 the abilities above are off cd.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    3) With a scope, it also has a higher crit chance (cause it's a ranged attack ^_^)
    That never occurred to me... does this work with Heroic Throw too?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    That never occurred to me... does this work with Heroic Throw too?
    Technicly it should work with all abilities that are classed as range, meaning Shockwave, Thunderclap, Heroic Throw, Intercept and ... Shoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Intercept? would love to see some lore on how a scope on our gun increases the clotheline crit rate.

Back to the OP, Val is not something i have problems with, try to keep HT for the mages, but really i find aslong as the DPS are focusing fire you should be fine, as there's no need for you to tank 50% of the spwans, you only really need to tank the abomonations, which are the lowests priority for DPS, anf the mages, which are next highest before the abomos with Charge, intercept, HT, and taunt you should be first into melee range of them and SS will generally be enough to drag it back to your tanking point. the ranged should be taking care of the zombies, the melee do the same for suppressors, and everyone should be busting the skeletons. Leaving the rotworms the only real Clutch point for the tank. I tend to save shockwave for them, and i wait till the last worm bounces out, or when the first one legs it before setting it off which stuns all of them, and then a TC, generall by that time the raids accumaltive AoE has made Pate of them. and any left alive should die to your first damage shield tick.

If you want to do something fancy beserker stance>recklessness>defensive stance>charge>shieldblock+shieldslam
    But for most stuff shieldblock+shieldslam single target and thunderclap+shockwave for aoe shield be enough snap threat. Don't forget to heroic strike on single target.

remember that um,, recklessness gives you a major damage intake debuff, sooo i wouldn't recommend this on any boss that hurts...

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    remember that um,, recklessness gives you a major damage intake debuff, sooo i wouldn't recommend this on any boss that hurts...
    yea, my "fancy" opeaning is battlestance> retailiation> defencive stance> shield block> charge> Shield slam

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    ALWAYS Shockwave > Conc Blow
    1) Does more damage
    2) Can't be dodged/parried

Also, if you're going pro on this, don't forget to check out waiting for Revenge vs Devastate on GCD.
    I was thinking rage generation, gives you another 1.5 to be hit and generate rage before they are stunned... of course, that's regardding stunable trash.

Against a boss, agreed, my memory failed.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

I have 1 button warrior tanking macro here to be share here.
    its stable and generate very highly tps after my 3 month testing in raid icc10/25, rs10/25, and heroic dungeon HOR.

for single target(please create 1 button macro)
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=shift/combat Heroic Strike, Devastate
    /castrandom Shield Bash, Shield Slam
    /castrandom Shield Block

*if u seen any dps making high tps and almost grabing aggro from u spam that macro follow by this

#show Revenge(1 button macro for tps burse)
    /castsequence reset=5 Revenge
    /castrandom Heroic Strike

*basicly revenge+ heroic strike is a tps burse but it wont hold high tps for long if u keep spamming revenge+heroic strike.
    just spam that single target macro and u will be good.

and this are 1 button aoe macro

#showtooltip (please create 1 button macro)
    /castsequence reset=shift/combat Cleave, Sunder Armor, Cleave, Demoralizing Shout
    /castrandom Thunder Clap, Revenge
    /castrandom Shield Block

*and if u seen any pally or druid that making more tps then u just spam that revenge+heroic strike and ull be over them again..

enjoy!

ah here are my character page incase u want to see how was my gear and talent work so well in this macro that im build.
    http://www.wowhead.com/profile=us.jubeithos.crinst

ah here are my character page incase u want to see how was my gear and talent work so well in this macro that im build.
    http://www.wowhead.com/profile=us.jubeithos.crinst
    I bet impale/deep wounds build would offer more TPS on both single and multi target then the small damage bonus you get from Improved Cleave. Also, a Shifting Dreadstone in your helm would activate your meta + socket bonus for 12 stam. You could replace the nightmare tear in your belt with a Solid Majestic Zircon. Not sure how much testing your macro's have really gotten, since it shows you havent been past 1st wing in 25 man, nor cleared RS.

Also, good job reviving a 2 month old thread.

The only macro I would recommend is to macro HS to Devestate, Revenge, and Shield Slam, that way on your most used single target attacks, you are constantly keeping HS queued for extra hate. As far as the AoE trash between bosses. . . who cares? I always have either a Pally or DK OT with plenty of AoE threat. If the DPS wants to go silly and pull a few mobs off, they can tank them =P. I'll taunt them off, or stun them if the DPS starts to get dangerously low.

http://www.wowhead.com/profile=us.jubeithos.crinst[/QUOTE]

i know most peep will ask why im using only 1nightmare tears instead on using gem that will activate my meta, the fact is my meta already activate, nightmare tears work like 5gem in once, maybe there a bugger.. check it

+ Reply to Thread