+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Player comes back to WoW and wants to tank a bit

Player comes back to WoW and wants to tank a bit

I stopped playing right when IIC was released due to RL reasons and have just returned to WoW.

I'm trying to make a 2h Frost tank spec to try to tank in a couple heroics and wondering what's the consesus right now about this spec?

Killing Machine or Black Ice? Both?

Since i'm most likely going with Glyph of Howling Blast, i should drop Epidemic, right?

1/3 Scent of Blood or more? 3/3 Morbidity for more DND? Endless Winter?

I guess this is what i'm thinking about speccing right now : http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0ERZGxx0ArIoc00uzAo0xb

My armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...g&cn=Madstrike

(Very old gear. I'm currently making the sworbreakers, breastplate of white knight & buying the 245 shoulders)

I tank two handed Frost and this is my spec; it works for me. You really should take Improved Frost Presence - you want the damage reduction. Runic Power Mastery is a bit of a waste and I'm not really big on Endless Winter, the Strength is okay but I personally like Merciless Combat. I found that Chill of the Grave and Scent of Blood to be a bit of overkill, so I stayed with Chill of the Grave.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...one&gn=Imprint

Now we wait for the Trade Chat crowd to say that if you tank in Frost you have to dual wield - which is far from true.
    Last edited by Theotherone; 09-29-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Now we wait for the Trade Chat crowd to say that if you tank in Frost you have to dual wield - which is far from true.
    DW frost tanking soaks up an additional 6 talent points, iirc, which could be spent elsewhere if 2H tanking. So I'll go against the trade chat crowd on that one.

If you are interested in raids at all though, you may find it easier to get into groups, and also find your have better survivability as a Blood tank. There are folks who do frost tanking in ICC, but my impression is that by far Blood is preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    DW frost tanking soaks up an additional 6 talent points, iirc, which could be spent elsewhere if 2H tanking. So I'll go against the trade chat crowd on that one.

If you are interested in raids at all though, you may find it easier to get into groups, and also find your have better survivability as a Blood tank. There are folks who do frost tanking in ICC, but my impression is that by far Blood is preferred.
    Yeah I sit in the minority these days; tanking 2h Frost - but I just love it; but it's what I started with and I want to get in the last of the mighty AoE ability before the patch drops and I'm forced into Blood. I've tanked as both and Blood is fine, less fun IMHO, but the self healing is really nice.

In light of the patch dropping in the near future, you're probably better off learning to tank in Blood.

As you can tell, I don't go for the trade chat wisdom either.

Yeah, i've tanked with blood in the past but i think that for someone like me with old gear and who hasn't played in a while, Frost is better to grind a couple heroics due to it's ease of play.

About DW, i think i have 2 'Black Icicles' maces(which would help with expertise) from one of the ICC 5-mans but since i also have a Quel'Delar, that seems to be the best thing for now.

Thanks for the link to your armory, Theotherone, i'll try your spec

I love 2H frost. Love it. But I fell in love with warrior tanking more. :P

My warrior is at lvl 42, but was put aside to lvl a priest. The whole rage thing really annoys me; I spend most of my time rage staved and watching auto attack. Just not fun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    My warrior is at lvl 42, but was put aside to lvl a priest. The whole rage thing really annoys me; I spend most of my time rage staved and watching auto attack. Just not fun for me.
    It can be tricky sometimes, for sure.

Also leveling warrior (Imp. Revenge + Thunderclap = WIN at the low levels)

Have one on my US account but haven't played there since the release of Ulduar and was missing smashing my shields on people faces

+ Reply to Thread