+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue Cataclysm - Pve, what choice?(Mutilate)

Rogue Cataclysm - Pve, what choice?(Mutilate)

So Cataclysm is coming up, and I've been doing some light research. I got a grasp of what the dps is like in Cataclysm as a rogue in the PTR, but I want some outside opinions. Currently I know that haste is going to be a huge beneficial factor as a stat due to the fact it still quickly applies poisons and also increases energy regen, and that agility will be replacing AP. So I believe stacking Agility in red where needed and 10 agil + 10 haste would be the best for orange.

As far as talents go, I really want to stick with Mutilate because it's just my thing and honestly it still looks like a good pve spec for cataclysm. So here is the build I thought to be best: http://wowtal.com/#k=1At8Ls8c.a2y.rogue Now remember, with the new talents they make you go into some talents that aren't really pve beneficial in order to get down to the useful talents. So, what is your guys' input?

Cata's still not ready yet. There will be plenty of time between when 4.0 hits and you getting to level 85 and raiding for us to figure all this out.

In the meantime, judging by speculation, I'd say that this would likely become a better raid spec (Deadly momentum doesn't do anything in a raid situation), with Glyphs of Vendetta, Mutilate, and Rupture.

As for gemming - Agi/haste is probably a good guess, but the numbers still have to come in. Yes, haste is good for everyone in Cata, but the real question is whether Assassination Rogues are going to need energy just to keep buffs up, or whether the abilities that use our energy are going to need to hit harder. It's the same AP vs haste tradeoff that you reach when your gear passes ilvl 264 now in 3.3.5.

There's a lot of math to be done in future. If you're really curious about it, bookmark the EJ forums, and start following any threads related to 4.0 theorycrafting.* They'll likely start working the numbers as soon as they hit 85 and are able to practice on training dummies.

*I know Jammer Six is going to have something to say about EJ here...

Alright, thanks for the input. My question is now though why have the one point in deadened nerves? So far rogues seem to have some room for glyphs that allow a little more survivability, not to mention combat readiness in their arsenal. I'd feel the one point in Deadly momentum could help during trash, or perhaps a boss encounter that has small adds. Once again you are right since we have time until Cataclysm actually starts, but I just want a head start. Thanks again!

Possibly, although target switching fights have never been Mutilate's strong point. 2% less damage taken would make a more of a difference on fights such as Festergut or Sindi, where Rogues really have a chance to shine anyways.

Edit - On further thought, I believe that the talent Deadly Momentum doesn't trigger for any spawned adds on boss fights. There are too many cases where that would make it quite attractive now, and there's likely a reason why it's not taken now. I doubt that it'd be worthwhile in future if the same mechanics hold. (Nobody really cares about max DPS on trash anyways).
    Last edited by Zxian; 09-29-2010 at 06:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread