+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BFF Report - Final Fantasy XIV

I'd have to agree with Fony on this one. I played FFXI for 2 1/2 years and when I heard about XIV I was absolutely psyched reading everything I could about it to get myself fully immersed in a once more great game & sadly I was disappoint, badly. From playing the open beta I felt almost no immersion, I had no enjoyment, and the fact that their were very little hot keys to access your inventory, new gear to upgrade & the map is overall piss poor was just too much to handle. Not to mention, not having a clue of where the hell to go at any point in time. I'd think by now SE may have taken a small hint and given some sort of " ! " over an NPC's head or some sort of aura so we know who to speak too, sadly not.

As others have stated above; I truly wanted to love this game, but it just fell short in every way I had hoped it wouldn't. SE just won't learn how to do things properly. On the light side it keeps me more psyched for Cataclsym & from the way the Heroic 5s are turning it, it looks like it will be fun again!

Really, the biggest problem with the game is the UI. I'm so, so, so damn tired of seeing list menus. The nest you have to go through in FFXIV just to do a simple command, even to interact with an NPC, is utterly ridiculous. I really don't understand the logic in keeping the archaic Dragon Quest model for inputting commands (let's be honest, Square exists in SE in name only now). If you see a door, open the menu, and hit Interact; I'm seriously surprised there isn't a Stairs command. It's outdated, slow, and clunky. In this day and age, I can't believe a developer -- who is developing this on a platform with drag and drop functionality -- thought that have to go through a poorly thought out nest of list commands was ideal.

They've been too damn worried about the graphical looks since the PS2 era and have completely forgotten about gameplay. And frankly I'm not impressed with the "no auto attack" system at all. I tried that in AoC and it just made the game even more boring. To me, if you have to change it so that your every attack has to be manually inputted, you're not designing a good combat system. Oh I'm sure there will be people that think this is a great idea and play the game for that reason alone, but these are probably the same people that thought Trial of the Crusader was pefect simply because there was no trash.

As slow as they are at making any changes to the game at all, I wouldn't count on the game having any more than absolute barebones to be somewhat successful when the PS3 launches.

PC users truly are just paying to play the beta for the PS3.

Looks like this game really sucks. No action at all, looks more like a movie where... nothing happens but a guy/girl running around >.> The graphics are cool, is that really worth it? I wouldn't play it.

Oh wow, hahaha. I just saw the reactions on the ZAM boards in regards to this video.

They pretty much boil down to either

A) Agreeing

B) Disagreeing by attacking your opinion on the game, trying to state that every game uses the the same blatant CPing (we're not talking doodads here, but entire *chunks* of terrain), or downplaying just how utterly boring the game is.

And yeah I agree: if you have a 3rd party to write a wrapper for your beta because they know how you work and that they'll have to eventually spend time to make the game passable by just fixing the issues themselves, you've failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well it's unfortunate for them then that reviews suggesting that the game is horribly incomplete (something Square Enix is not known for) and has so many issues that they have set their own platform up for failure. Heck even ArenaNet did a better job with a free MMO like Guild Wars (the sequel is looking pretty sweet too btw) and they didn't have near the budget that SE did for FF14. This seems like a cut and paste project with pretty images but poor level and combat design, the graphics don't even look that impressive to be honest.
    Totally agree with what has already been said. I also am looking forward to GW2 as another game to play on off raid nights.

The deal was sealed for me when I couldnt bind the arrow keys for movement. I mean seriously, wtf? 2-4-6-8 on numpad is your forced alt binding for movement over wasd?

The interface is horrible and not at all intuitive and that alone made me decide to uninstall the beta and not purchase. So Im oldschool and use an oldschool gamepad...that doesnt change the fact that there are now many gamepads on the market that default their movement keys to arrow keys and wasd. What the hell is SE's problem with maintaining a status quo as simple as that?

Yeah its nerdrage, but with cata here soon, Black Ops right around the corner, and (Hopefully) D3 within the next 6-12 months, I see no reason to buy a game and pay a subscription for something that pissed me off in less time than it took to create my character.

Thanks for saving me some bucks! I was tempted to buy this to try it out just because of the franchise and nostalgia. ><

Seriously SE, time to catch up. Pretty views will not overcome tedious game play and a horrible interface that makes playing a chore.

Damn brutal....but you can kind of expect this from a development team that simply laughs when you ask them a question. "Like why can't I jump?" It makes you wonder if they were forced to release the game too early, or if they just didn't feel all that little stuff was important enough, like typing errors....very unprofessional.

The one thing I can say in the games defense in terms of it being user friendly especially to new people is that according to my friend who played FF11, it was a pretty damn hardcore game. He said that there were no noobs that were max level, if you maxed out you were automatically good cause of all the hell you had to go through to get there.

You'd expect them to adopt a lot of WoW's user friendliness that made it so great but I guess there just too arrogant.

It's right now sitting on my desk and I'm looking at the game and pondering...Problem is that I'm a Fanboy. I hate it but I am. So I think I may play for 30 days and just reassess.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

You know what's frustrating about this?

Is that SE has banned any sites from putting up mirrors to download and insists on using their shitty ass patch downloader that takes forever. it's total BS. I'm doing the updates now and I have to go around other ways cause otherwise I download at 9kb/s.

Really SE? Is that how you're going to do everything?

Tankspot Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    The one thing I can say in the games defense in terms of it being user friendly especially to new people is that according to my friend who played FF11, it was a pretty damn hardcore game. He said that there were no noobs that were max level, if you maxed out you were automatically good cause of all the hell you had to go through to get there.
    Actually, from a former endgame FFXI player, your friend is incorrect. There is the exact same ratio of terrible players versus great players (with as many % of passable in between). The problem is, everyone is forced to work in a group, so terrible or not you have to deal with people (as you can't just drop group and go do your thing). Plus, the fact that all nationalities are forced onto the same servers, you're merely given the illusion that those that bored themselves to tears and grinded mobs for the 50+ hours it took to get to endgame, so that they could go on a purely horizontal progression path with bosses that you either kited or tank'n'spanked to death.

In reality, FFXI is easier than WoW. Many people will contest this fact that due to the "long time to level cap" (which is false; FFXI actually ends up requiring vastly less time to level) and call it a hardcore game simply because you're constantly camping monsters with ridiculous respawn timers. It's a glorified, poorly made EQ clone, but not hardcore at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonwar View Post
    Looks pretty, but looks like a game I would never play.
    That quote nails a surprising amount of "current" games from my perspective.
    SQUEAK.
    --(The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

Well I've played most of the "FF" console series up to X(10) except IX...and really enjoyed them. However, I never could get the urge to play online FF XI, and now this one, wow.....Fony has way more patience then I do that's for sure lol After watching his toon in combat miss and his target evade several times would've done it in for me, not to mention the UI and long length of time it takes to travel to your "noob" quest area or whatever. I guess the old console games was "Final" for my part, LOL

Oh btw, the insane Uberzomg Ladybug at the end of the video that kicked everyone's ass was priceless lol.
    Last edited by Ultimus; 09-25-2010 at 12:52 PM.
    "We are driven by a single purpose...Retribution. ~Highlord Darion Mograine~

Actually, yeah the mob did evade some of his shots but this game actually takes in consideration the position you are attacking from: Mobs will be able to dodge and avoid you more if you are in front, Less so in the sides, and far less from behind. You also crit more often from behind.

You wanna use positioning to do the most damage in this game. Otherwise you'll whiff like Fony did. Trust me, having tested the game myself, I found that out and went eesh. It's a lil too high up there percentage wise on the miss/avoid/dodge scale when facing a mob.

Tankspot Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Krenian View Post
    Actually, yeah the mob did evade some of his shots but this game actually takes in consideration the position you are attacking from: Mobs will be able to dodge and avoid you more if you are in front, Less so in the sides, and far less from behind. You also crit more often from behind.

You wanna use positioning to do the most damage in this game. Otherwise you'll whiff like Fony did. Trust me, having tested the game myself, I found that out and went eesh. It's a lil too high up there percentage wise on the miss/avoid/dodge scale when facing a mob.
    Sucks and is stupid though as a Marauder where you actually get a bonus for standing still...

I tried really hard to find the silver lining in this game, as many people know. I'm a FF fanboy FF2 was the first RPG I ever played and I've been an avid fan of the genre and that particular title since. FF12 and 13 hurt my hope for the company, but FF 14 so far has almost completely shattered it. I feel so pissed off right now after grinding my way to rank 14 marauder and ultimately just kinda betrayed by a company I used to love.

There is absolutely no depth to this game, You get a main quest where you get a few cut scenes and some gil at the end, and then need to grind out 10 more levels to get to the next part.

Leves have an insanely long cooldown yet have no depth themselves at all. I could understand putting such a cooldown on these things if they actually had story, depth, took time to complete, but there's none of that. On average they have taken me 2 min to complete, and all it is is killing some shit or collecting some items by..killing some shit.

In a last effort to find something to look forward to, I literally explored every inch of Limsa Lominsa island to just see if there was anything different. And there is absolutely NOTHING different except for different variants of mobs youve already seen, and SOME new mobs, but nothing awesome..I think the coolest thing I saw was a kobold..other than that just a bunch of crabs, birds, mice, and jellyfish...and some beetles, can't forget them.

So after touring the whole island, I finally just said "screw this" and logged out, and I really have no desire or intention to log back in. Hurry and rescue me from my boredom Cataclysm...

Its strange to do a recording when you don't have any clue on the interface. So coming in ignorant of the product isnt a proper way to do. Its definitely a game where doing some homework helps, there is no hand holding where you need to converse with NPC's and learn the land the old fashion way. Listening to the the doom and gloomers on forums sure doesnt help, this is definitely the worst release of so much BAD information and the echoing of it across all the message boards. Like the Fatigue system bruhahaha.

Its definitely a slower style game and requires some reading on what you should do. There isn't Symbols over people and quests do have locations marked on the journal map. The first quest is to teach the basics of combat and UI. Hardware mouse is in retail, UI is responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgen View Post
    Its strange to do a recording when you don't have any clue on the interface. So coming in ignorant of the product isnt a proper way to do. Its definitely a game where doing some homework helps, there is no hand holding where you need to converse with NPC's and learn the land the old fashion way. Listening to the the doom and gloomers on forums sure doesnt help, this is definitely the worst release of so much BAD information and the echoing of it across all the message boards. Like the Fatigue system bruhahaha.

Its definitely a slower style game and requires some reading on what you should do. There isn't Symbols over people and quests do have locations marked on the journal map. The first quest is to teach the basics of combat and UI. Hardware mouse is in retail, UI is responsive.
    Yeah no, thanks for playing. A turd wrapped in pink tinfoil is still a turd. FFXIV will go down as the worst launching MMO of the entire genre -- beating out Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. That requires a tremendous amount of fail in order to pull that off.

I haven't single a single piece of "wrong information". You can parade around, sticking your fingers in your ears, and ignoring every single thing wrong with the game like the rest of the fanboys. Or, you could actually wake up, and realize this is the biggest waste of purchase we've seen in the gaming history in a long, long time.

The fatigue system is terrible. Period. End of story. Trying to defend it causes you to lose any shred of credibility in an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzer View Post
    So after touring the whole island, I finally just said "screw this" and logged out, and I really have no desire or intention to log back in. Hurry and rescue me from my boredom Cataclysm...
    That's the funny thing. I've seen die-hard anti-WoW people on FFXI/FFXIV forums, and even *they're* admitting they might as well purchase Cataclysm when it comes out because there's no point in sticking with FFXIV. There's just too much wrong with it:

1) Fatigue system. It's horrendous, does nothing but punish people, and it doesn't level the playing field at all. Only SE fanboys will swallow that pathetic PR spin they tried to put on it via saying "But it helps casual players!"

2) Crashing when game loses focus. I've seen only two games do this since Windows 98 was released. Both are MMOs made by Square-Enix.

3) Horrendous UI design. Seriously? Overly complicated nesting list menus in 2010? I guess nothing says 'cutting edge' like a UI that isn't much different than Dragon Quest, and that was released in 1986. "Select Interact from the Main Menu to open a chest." Get real.

4) Terrible monster flow. Nothing says a SE MMO like random high level mobs placed around leveling areas for no reason whatsoever. Fanboys will call it "adventure" and "excitement". Realists will call it what it truly its: piss poor mob placement.

5) Guildleves. Quests -- let's be serious and call them what they actually are. (Why FF MMOs need to have a unique term for damn near every single convention is beyond me, when their renditions are always worse than then originals). COmpletely unoriginal, boring, and stale. The rewards are moronic as well. Nothing like randomly generating whether you're going to get some gear, crafting components, or just plain money for completing them. Oh, they give bonus EXP from monsters that are spawned while doing the quests? No problem, we'll just limit them to 8 every 36 hours.

6) Gathering professions. Ahh yes, just what every crafter likes to see. A boring and overly time consuming Hot'n'Cold game thrown onto every gathering profession, designed to waste as much time as possible. Let's also cause you to get lessened returns on gathering when going for as little as half an hour (nothing like a gathering fatigue system as well, right?).

7) Payment methods. I've never, ever, seen a company that makes you go through such ridiculous methods just to give them your money. Half of the complaints are that they're not accepting credit cards, or their round-about method of using Paypal, or requiring people to resort to ClickToBuy accounts.

8) Copypasta. If you can't realize the difference between what every other developer has done, and what SE is guilty of in FFXIV, don't even try to argue this point. Other developers have a palette of doodads that they'll manipulate (i.e. recolor, resize, etc.) and use to give foilage and life to a zone. SE isn't guilty of this: they're guilty of taking the mouse, drawing a box over a sizeable portion of the zone, and copy pasting that without altering a damn thing. We're not talking about caves, or building, or trees, or foilage -- we're talking terrain. Show me proof, tangible proof, that another MMO developer does this and to the degree that SE has.

9) Tanaka. A moron if I've ever seen one. Let's lash out at 'foreigners' for speculating on a system (nevermind that they were correct), instead of just coming clean and stating what the fatigue system was. Let's also try to disguise all of these game decisions by saying "they're our methods of combating RMT". Yeah. Right.
    Last edited by Viertel; 09-25-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Is the MMO genre still such an uncharted territory that we have a big name forced on such a horrible game?
    /facepalm

Obviously someone doesn't understand the Fatigue system right now.

If anyone wants to understand why the Fatigue system is in the game and is in place, which when I saw this, clarified a lot and made me less hesitant about it, watch the following video:

Very interesting video. And yes, he makes logical arguments which are sound.

So are you going to call me out and say I lost every shred of credibility after linking you a rather decent documentary about the Fatigue System? Go ahead. Cause I just showed you why it's in place due to SE's philosophy. (Many won't agree with it, some will. That, you can choose to be. But to state that arguing for/against the system makes you pretty much a loser in either way is not the way to go.)

Tankspot Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post

1) Fatigue system. It's horrendous, does nothing but punish people, and it doesn't level the playing field at all. Only SE fanboys will swallow that pathetic PR spin they tried to put on it via saying "But it helps casual players!"

2) Crashing when game loses focus. I've seen only two games do this since Windows 98 was released. Both are MMOs made by Square-Enix.

3) Horrendous UI design. Seriously? Overly complicated nesting list menus in 2010? I guess nothing says 'cutting edge' like a UI that isn't much different than Dragon Quest, and that was released in 1986. "Select Interact from the Main Menu to open a chest." Get real.

4) Terrible monster flow. Nothing says a SE MMO like random high level mobs placed around leveling areas for no reason whatsoever. Fanboys will call it "adventure" and "excitement". Realists will call it what it truly its: piss poor mob placement.

5) Guildleves. Quests -- let's be serious and call them what they actually are. (Why FF MMOs need to have a unique term for damn near every single convention is beyond me, when their renditions are always worse than then originals). COmpletely unoriginal, boring, and stale. The rewards are moronic as well. Nothing like randomly generating whether you're going to get some gear, crafting components, or just plain money for completing them. Oh, they give bonus EXP from monsters that are spawned while doing the quests? No problem, we'll just limit them to 8 every 36 hours.

6) Gathering professions. Ahh yes, just what every crafter likes to see. A boring and overly time consuming Hot'n'Cold game thrown onto every gathering profession, designed to waste as much time as possible. Let's also cause you to get lessened returns on gathering when going for as little as half an hour (nothing like a gathering fatigue system as well, right?).

7) Payment methods. I've never, ever, seen a company that makes you go through such ridiculous methods just to give them your money. Half of the complaints are that they're not accepting credit cards, or their round-about method of using Paypal, or requiring people to resort to ClickToBuy accounts.

8) Copypasta. If you can't realize the difference between what every other developer has done, and what SE is guilty of in FFXIV, don't even try to argue this point. Other developers have a palette of doodads that they'll manipulate (i.e. recolor, resize, etc.) and use to give foilage and life to a zone. SE isn't guilty of this: they're guilty of taking the mouse, drawing a box over a sizeable portion of the zone, and copy pasting that without altering a damn thing. We're not talking about caves, or building, or trees, or foilage -- we're talking terrain. Show me proof, tangible proof, that another MMO developer does this and to the degree that SE has.

9) Tanaka. A moron if I've ever seen one. Let's lash out at 'foreigners' for speculating on a system (nevermind that they were correct), instead of just coming clean and stating what the fatigue system was. Let's also try to disguise all of these game decisions by saying "they're our methods of combating RMT". Yeah. Right.
    NOTHING you said in the above quote was wrong, and in fact 4 is so beyond accurate it makes me cry while leveling when I kill a mob that barely gave me any exp and it respawns as something that should be a mob 3 zones from now (which would be fine but the party SP system is terribly broken). But, ALSO NOTHING you said makes it A BAD GAME. A technically lacking game yes, but I have been playing almost non-stop since Wednesday and I have loved every minute of it.

2) only happens when you play in full screen, windowed mode FTW

3) the menu system only fails if you try using your mouse. When opening a menu from another menu it always puts the cursor EXACTLY where it needs to be and is actually faster then using a mouse.

5) most likely this will be dropped to a 24 hour cooldown, as 36 hours is just moronic to try to keep track of. But you did not mention local crafting leves. These are 3-4 leves per city PER PROFESSION that you can do all of them as long as your crafting for that profession is high enough (you can only hold 8 at a time but unlike battle leves they disappear from the list when you complete it)

6) fishing is so much fun that I almost want to just focus on getting fishing to 50 without doing anything else

7) AGREED click and buy ruined so many peoples credit cards

8) WHO CARES ABOUT COPY AND PASTING!!!!!!!!!!! if you had played this game for months without watching this video YOU NEVER WOULD HAVE EVEN NOTICED. THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE EVEN KNOW ABOUT IT IS BECAUSE OF FONY! sorry but stop QQing over something you never would have noticed.

9) "foreigners" the reason I almost did not buy the game. So insulting to hear that from a major game company

but again, NONE OF THOSE MAKE THIS A BAD GAME.

here I will even add a few more from you:

cullinary is useless because food buffs are either NYI or just bugged and do not update on your character sheet, either way you have no way of telling what the food actually does.

to further the ui debate:

inventory: no way to sort at all, the order you pick things up in is the order they are in forever

synthesis UI: shows everything in your inventory including things that are never used for crafting ever, making you dig through everything you have to find your crafting mats

gear UI: when you select head to equip a head item, instead of just showing you heads it shows you ever single equipable item. repeat for all inventory slots

when typing, you can type like 15 words max and that is 15 very short words before you have to hit enter and continue your sentance on another input box.

NO WAY TO AUTO REPLY TO SOMEONE, if you get a tell, you must type "/tell (persons first name) (persons last name)" to reply to them

your friends list gives you the option to send tells but not the linkshell menu

anima regen is terrible I used 1/2 my teleporting power in 3 days

guardian aspect regen is terrible as well

GLADIATORS DO NOT START WITH A SHIELD

and ya know what, I still love the game and love playing it.

+ Reply to Thread