+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BFF Report - Final Fantasy XIV

BFF Report - Final Fantasy XIV

I'm going to just put this right here... and walk away slowly...

Click here for more episodes of the BFF Report!
    Follow Zam and me on Twitter!

Pretty much my experience. I wanted to like it so much, it just felt so... unfinished; and not in a "beta" way. In a "this is our vision" way. In a Phantom Menace way.

I think that's my final descriptor. FFXIV is the Phantom Menace of MMORPGs. Ya want it to be so good & you want to love it, but the people who created it didn't know how much you cared about having a fluid & robust experience. They thought you wanted a game that said "FF" on it.

Been watching the yogscast and there are loads of cutscenes every 5mins of actual play.
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

I have never once noticed the terrain copy-paste, how do you even see something like that, I never remember what the terrain looked like 30 seconds ago. Also, gridaina SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worst of the 3 starting towns and also a good 30-45 minute walk to get from there to either of the other 2 cities. Uldha by comparison has the quickest of the level 1 storylines (totally optional btw all they give you is some starter gold). Basically, as was in 11, the story is the main focus of the game. The other thing is, I am pretty sure (As evidenced by the UI) SE does not care about its PC gamers, they know the core of their audience is the PS3 players. Until that is released I doubt we will see many improvements.

When was this actually recorded btw, 3-4 weeks ago? Longer?

Wow...I honestly did not notice the copy pasta...holy crap, now that you put it in perspective..that's ridiculous. o.O Wow...I mean at first I was laughing cause stuff Fony said is true, some of the things are pretty brutal but...Holy crap, the copy pasta is so wrong.

Am shocked. If I would have even remotely noticed this, I may have held off on the game. But I kinda went and bought the game either way online and can't really cancel anymore. Gah, damn you Fony and being two weeks late with this! x.x

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

hahaha
    Game does look amazing.
    Personally i found this report very helpful. Also almost couldnt stop laughing.

Looks pretty, but looks like a game I would never play. I wonder really what the FF crowd will now think of wow's copy-pasta compared to their, if it's true that's their main complaint. Adding that sort of travel time sink to level1 quests is crazy and really just smacks of devs being either lazy or very nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonwar View Post
    Looks pretty, but looks like a game I would never play. I wonder really what the FF crowd will now think of wow's copy-pasta compared to their, if it's true that's their main complaint. Adding that sort of travel time sink to level1 quests is crazy and really just smacks of devs being either lazy or very nasty.
    ^^<<--Part of the FF crowd.

I'm not amused. Not in the least. That is the least polished game I have ever seen and apparently the release really does not have anything different right now. Which means this is the kind of game we're waiting for right now.

I'm at a point where I'm just going to give up on SE ever making Final Fantasy good on an MMO platform. Period.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

How the hell does something you never even noticed bother you? I dont get it? I am perfectly fine with all the copy pasting

Right now, there's some asian game designer putting his hand over his face saying, "If only we put jump in the game, maybe this would all be different."

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    How the hell does something you never even noticed bother you? I dont get it? I am perfectly fine with all the copy pasting
    Eventually, it would have been noticed. The fact that someone pointed it out means that it's going to be noticed every time now.
    "Kyle, this is the way the world works. If you want to find quality friends, you have to wade through all the dicks first." -Cartman

I love's PASTA.. But even I change up the sause every once in a while !!

I am glad I didn't even bother with the beta, seems like a waste of time to pay for this game as well. Even Blizzard has been good about changing some of their terrain designs around in some ways over the years.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

FFXIV .... 11 copy and pastes + the ladybug massacre that was pretty ridiculous. Not playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I am glad I didn't even bother with the beta, seems like a waste of time to pay for this game as well. Even Blizzard has been good about changing some of their terrain designs around in some ways over the years.
    SE is violently opposed to changing anything in their game unless absolutely necessary (i.e. bad publicity). The Japanese developers view their games as more of a form of art that sells well, and altering anything after a finished product doesn't jive with them. Our controls are absolutely horrid, but we have fluid animations! Combat is stale and boring, but at least it looks cool!

It's why they'll never do well in an MMO environment.

first actual gripe with the game, I am a 15 glad, 5 cook. The food I make, either does nothing, or food is just broken on updating your character sheet. But either way you cannot tell what buffs the foods are giving you.

yes I have the CE early access

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    SE is violently opposed to changing anything in their game unless absolutely necessary (i.e. bad publicity). The Japanese developers view their games as more of a form of art that sells well, and altering anything after a finished product doesn't jive with them. Our controls are absolutely horrid, but we have fluid animations! Combat is stale and boring, but at least it looks cool!

It's why they'll never do well in an MMO environment.
    Well it's unfortunate for them then that reviews suggesting that the game is horribly incomplete (something Square Enix is not known for) and has so many issues that they have set their own platform up for failure. Heck even ArenaNet did a better job with a free MMO like Guild Wars (the sequel is looking pretty sweet too btw) and they didn't have near the budget that SE did for FF14. This seems like a cut and paste project with pretty images but poor level and combat design, the graphics don't even look that impressive to be honest.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

This just in:

Vindictus > FFXIV

Seriously. Fony wasn't just talking it up. It is a really visceral 3d dungeon crawler that is intuitive and innovative in some respects.

All in all, fun to play. So if FFXIV brought the disappoint down on you, go check it out.

Really just posted this as an excuse to plug Vindictus...

...and to curse SE for wasting a few hours of my life on their beta...

...and puppies are awesome.

Wish it had been better

I really wanted to love FFivX but.... having played the beta for a week or so off and on trying hard to get past its failings I think I'll wait a year and see how it develops.

Good
    Loverly Graphics - nice textures and I dont mind the cutsense they draw you into the story.

Interesting story line... even with the obvious spelling and grammar mistakes.

Poor
    Controls ... definitely a controller game but even running a controller it's "Sluggish". No jump and little environmental interaction. You cant jump on anything or jump off anything which makes some areas very linear to transverse and makes the beautiful environment stale and dead feeling.

Guildleve's / Quests... my gripe is this ... You pickup the quests in town then need to run a long long way to Activate the quests then run further to do the quests. Varying from the quest to explore or kill something not in the quest is an insta fail. Wheres the scope for exploration and just killing stuff. Even the zones have far to little to actually kill or interact with.

Skills .... not enough variety in combat at low levels. Even if you take the time to level you have the one standard basic attack for too long.. Boring. They give you something called TP to unleash massive attacking moves but nothing to use it with for 10 levels.

Again I wanted to love it, FFXI was my first mmorgp and I wanted this to be great but its not. I'll cross my fingers and wait to see what happens with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vmpwraith View Post

Skills .... not enough variety in combat at low levels. Even if you take the time to level you have the one standard basic attack for too long.. Boring. They give you something called TP to unleash massive attacking moves but nothing to use it with for 10 levels.
    Huh? I'm rank 10 Marauder and I have several different TP moves already. Leveled Lancer to 4 as well to get ferocity.

The only gripe I have thus far is lack of weapon/armor vendors, I managed to find a bronze labrys for sale on a vendor and picked it up, which is pretty sweet, but thats about it.

Still enjoying the game overall.

+ Reply to Thread