Thread: HM Sindragosa10 - Solo Tank Viability?

HM Sindragosa10 - Solo Tank Viability?

My guild and I have progressed wonderfully in HM10m content, but we're at a bit of a wall with Sindragosa.

During our last round of attempts on Tuesday, we had several problems with the druid that usually tanks the fight (I play a Prot Paladin, and just click off Righteous Fury and contribute what dps I can until P3). We would be doing fine, but as soon as his stacks of Mystic Buffet in p3 got around 6, it would be a total crapshoot as to whether or not he would survive long enough for me to get out there and relieve him. I clear my stacks reflexively on the first iceblock, and taunt as soon as I know I'm clear. The most his stacks ever reached were 6, and to be fair, most of the time he was doing fine, but would die before he could back out to switch, for whatever reason (I have no earthly idea how he's dying. Hard to gain perspective with a big angry skeletal dragon in my face.)

On our best attempt of the night, a truly heartbreaking wipe at 9%, what had happened was similiar to the rest: I taunted at the first available oppurtunity, the bear ran out, promptly died, and I kept the boss from approximately 27% to the wipe. During that time, I amassed somewhere in the vicinity of 20 stacks, but through aggressive cooldown usage, Ardent Defender, and armor pots/Corroded Skeleton Key, staying alive didn't seem that far fetched. The eventual wipe felt like it had more to do with dps slowly falling, healers having Unchained Magic/Frost Tomb, not because the tank damage got too extreme.

On that attempt, I wore three pieces of Frost Resist (ring, belt, boots), ran Frost Aura, and used a 50 Resist flask. Before we start attempts next week, I should have enough Frost badges to acquire my tier pants, which would allow me to swap out my Cataclysmic chestguard for Frost Resist as well. With that setup, I could reasonably use tier helm/shoulders/gloves/legs, and utilize the 4p bonus, as well as 4 pieces of Frost Resist/Frost Aura, and if my math estimates are right, maintain 26 exp (with Glyph of Vengeance), 8% hit, and 545 defense. I'd sacrifice a bit of armor swapping out the Pillars for this fight, but since the majority of the damage incoming is magical, I think it's nearly a moot point, and easily made up for by armor pots anyway.

My question is, directed at anyone who has had experience with this fight: Is solo tanking Sindragosa Heroic something that's reasonably feasible? It seems like it's not outside the realm of possibility to me, but since I haven't seen the fight through to completion this way, I don't want to write a check I can't cash. Numerically, I think it can be done, but I'm looking for some corresponding evidence that it can, and has been done, if at all possible.

Conversely, if you've also thought it was a good idea on paper, but found in practice that it just becomes too much, dissenting opinion is welcome to. As I've stated, without having given it an actual whirl (should get the oppurtunity on Sunday, attendance willing), I'm sort of in the theory stage, and receptive to point/counterpoint.

if your DPS is stellar you can do it. if it isn't, you will eventually run out of cooldowns for your tank and he will get oneshot by the breath.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

Think of it this way...

Mystic Buffet stacks every 6 seconds.
    In heroic mode she has 13,950,000 health, leaving 4,882,500 health in the final phase.
    Lets say for simplicity sake your raid does 50,000 DPS to the boss and is still able to break the ice blocks. That's a generous number given that DPS needs to peridocially stop on the boss and switch to ice blocks as well as stop randomly to shed debuff stacks. That means the final phase would last around 98 seconds and you would have about a 16 stack of Mystic Buffet on the single tank. If a six stack of the debuff is killing your tanks, you think they can survive long going up to 16? It isn't as simple as pop heroism and just burn the boss because DPS has to manage their debuffs as well, unless you want a caster stacking Instability up to 30 or so and then explode hitting the raid for 60,000 damage each amplified by Mystic Buffet.

If you're hoping to burn her, you're likely going to get burned.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Allow me to re-clarify: The bear was dying around 6-8 stacks, which may or may not be unrelated to boss damage (for all I know, he was running right into the Frost Tomb, and the damage from the splash combined with ticks of Chilled to the Bone were finishing him off, as stated, I have no earthly clue how he dies). I (Paladin) was still trucking right along with 20+ stacks, until the healers were all blocked/deceased.

That was with 3 pieces of Frost Resist, and no 4p bonus (I'd be a little happier if the Pally 4p bonus was a flat percentage of mitigation, instead of increased avoidance, but any port in a storm). With tier legs, it should be entirely within the realm of easy possibility for me to be able to add an additional piece of Frost Resist, and I think that would enable me to hold onto the boss a bit longer.

I'm not looking to enable a burn strategy, as a general rule of thumb I hate "zerging" content, even when we vastly overgear it. It just promotes laziness. My line of thought is thinking that if I can limit the fight to one tank, we add another dps to aid in the tombs, and in general move her health bar down a bit more rapidly. Not zerging it, but streamlining the tanking mechanics in order to better faciliate the other aspects of the fight.

I don't have hard numbers in front of me (I will tommorrow when I physically pick up the tier legs), but with Frost Aura and a flask, I should be in the realm of 470 Frost Resist, Armor to be determined. Eventually, the above poster is absolutely correct: The numbers will simply get too high, and the eventual result will be an incoming damage spike that is impossible to mitigate, resulting in certain death (with Ardent Defender, luck providing, I'll get two chances at that.) My thought process is that with all benefits considered (no parry hasting due to expertise, reasonable armor via gear/pots, Frost Resistance out the wazoo), I can increase the threshold of when that will happen to somewhere around 30+ stacks, instead of 20.

Before you try solo-tanking, you should really figure out what is killing your other tank, either through Recount (or some mod with a death log like GrimReaper) or by uploading a log or world of logs.

How many healers are you runnning? How many people are you assigning to killing blocks? Are too many people "helping" on blocks, making them die too fast so some are unable to clean off stacks? Where are you positioning the first ice block in relation to the tank/boss? Does the bear know he can shapeshift out of the movement slowing effect that the breath puts on you?

One thing you could try is to swap tanks at the very beginning of p3. Especially if your druid tank isn't wiping his frost breath debuff, it could be that by the time you are taunting the boss, he just isn't able to move out of cleave/tail swipe range fast enough. If you taunt right as Sindy enters p3, he has plenty of time (and safety!) to shapeshift off the debuff and position himself correctly for the first ice block.

After that, its just making sure you have an even iceblock rotation. Most of the time, I'm dropping my stacks at around 5-6, and only going up into the 8-10 range if there was a missed taunt/inconvenient AoE, and those are the points I save my CD's for. If he is just not able to survive more than a 6 stack, then there is something else wrong entirely.

I know it is not the info you are looking for, but yes, you can burn her. It is possible, we did it that way to get the achievement. If you go with one tank you will have to DPS hard to get her down anywise.

One thing to look at also is expertise, she does parry haste. Extra melee hits after a breath can be brutal. So you really need to see what he is dying too before you can really determine a fix.

Do us a favor. Stay with the two tank system, link both of your armory's and combat log the next fight. It sounds like something is going wrong with either your tank or your heals. Perhaps he is ranging healers (if he runs to the wrong side) or maybe shifting forms is a bad idea with a bunch of stacks of mystic buffet? The combat log will give you the answer. The people on this forum will have the solution for you in no time.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nez View Post
    I know it is not the info you are looking for, but yes, you can burn her. It is possible, we did it that way to get the achievement. If you go with one tank you will have to DPS hard to get her down anywise.
    I'm really doubting you did that on HM, which is what we're discussing here.

6 stacks of mystic buffet is a very reasonable stack level, just one shy of the achievement level. You SHOULD be able to handle all that with 6 stacks each on either tank. My guess is your bear is getting to the point where the frost aura ticks are becoming a threat at 6 stacks and your healers stop healing him once he starts running away.

I dont know about single tanking but i'd advise against going with 3+ frost pieces. Sindi HM hits hard enough in melee that dropping down to the crappy frost gear makes a lot of difference in your melee survivability. When doing our HM, i switched around gear including up to 4 pieces and settled on boots+belt+flask and proper tank gear everywhere else. That gave me the highest survivability.

Try equipping your bear with some frost gear too. At the very least resist flask. On our HM tries we handed out resist flasks to the whole raid and it really eased the job of the healers a lot. Even with that minor level of resist, the frost aura ticks drop visibly. When you spread that over 10 people, it makes a difference. Otherwise your bear seems to be doing things right.