Thread: 10m Normal Lich King fight.

10m Normal Lich King fight.

First off I want to say thank you to you guys. We finally got sindy down thanks to many of your strats. Though I took a group of players that actually pay attention, I did utilize a new strat that night. Now to my question

Here we are, the final fight of the game...the lich king. Group makeup so far has been

DK-Tank-Me I have been tanking the LK
    Pally tank- He was on the adds
    Pally/Shaman/Priest(holy) as healers
    Mage/Hunter/Shaman(ele)/shaman(ele)/Mage Sometimes we have a frost DK or a fury warrior.

The strat we use is I tank LK over by the stairs and the pally tanks the horrors over near the edge of the map, next to the pillar. The main question I have is, do we dps the horrors? I have done the LK fight on my shammy and we always ignored them and NP killed them. But some of them brought up from the video that we need to dps the horrors. Needless to say we always make it to p1.5 and one time to p2. Seems the issue was I was holding aggro on all the ghouls/lk and the Pally tank only had the horrors and a few ghouls.

The idea is for necrotic plague to kill ghouls and jump to the horrors correct? Or should I have dps jump onto the horrors? Thats the main question. :P

Never dps the shamblers unless one of them loses the plague and it's stuck at low-hp and enraged. This is rare and when it does happen it takes a few sec to finish it off. For the most part, don't worry about dpsing the horrors.

Answering your exact question brackit .. there are two normal ways both work around same premise

version 1.) 1 Tank can tank LK and the adds and 1 tank the shamblings.

Seeing this used alot more as only hunters can tranq an enraged shambling (rogues lost aenesthetic) and if you dont have one having the shambling tank with ghouls and enraged shamblings can be somewhat dangerous. The disadvantage of this is necro doesn't jump around as much so the stacks don't get up as high so in transition the shambling tank will be busy for a little while until shambling dies. It's no real issue LK has run off and the LK tank picks up 1st and perhaps 2nd raging spirit as shambling tank cant come near raid because of necro on shambling. Advantage of this is the adds spawn around LK its very easy to pick them up on spawn of LK tank.

version 2.) 1 Tank has LK, Tank 2 has adds inc shamblings. The stacks get very high very fast and shambling and adds die fast. Downside there is alot of damage on this tank and he has to do alot of pickups of adds.

Where you tank them doesn't matter you will have a sort of triangle formed by range and healers, tank 1 , tank 2. It's usual that the range and healers are on the outer edge so they dont have to move in transition.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Being as there's now 3 active conversations on the fight, I'll jump into this one too.

As a paladin tank, we typically do paladin tank on LK/ghouls while warr tank takes Horrors and we use the disease straight to the horrors. We are 50/50 if we're going to get a fresh horror up in transition phase, but I don't know any way to get the ghouls from paladin tank to warr tank without dropping threat on LK. And we do keep one dps on horrors until phase change.

Is there a better way to go about things? Does NP on ghouls and then horrors work better? And how does that kind of setup look?....(looking for any little thing that will help smooth this part out)....

Thanks! And good thread topic.

Ok you have to push dps to make sure you dont get a fresh horror or slow down the last thing you want is a horror coming up in transition there is a bit timing involved. In your case if you took the dps from horror and put on LK you should easily beat the new horror. The warrior simply has to stand away from raid with horror until its dead he will get necro and once cleansed he can move in to pick up next spirit and be ready to taunt any spirits on pally for next phase transition.

Some swear by the other method but running in number of diff raid groups I can tell you it's what the group is comfortable with. With a pally warrior its hard to do reverse way because you cant easily get consecrate under LK to pick up spawning adds so you have to throw shield and taunt one by one etc. It's crap easy to use this method with a DK cause he just sticks D&D under the LK tank.

So I think there is a degree of which is easier depending on your tank types.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

After much pain, agony and some drama between group members, we made sigNIFICANT progress last night.

Got a new tank (second pally, both block-capped I might add) and I tanked the horrors/ghouls with the Plague doing all the work (as has been described as a legit strategy that, until last night, scared the crap out of me). Simply put - it worked. Horrors, even a fresh one during transition phase, were a non-issue across the board. Only trouble I had was getting the ghouls off of LK, because for some reason, the new UI keeps selecting LK or Ghoul depending on how many times I click the nameplate....may need to look back into Tidy Plates....BUT, we had a fantastic Frost DK who was getting aggro sufficiently on Ghouls, so I simple had him DPS LK near me and I Righteous Defensed him - Boom. Instant ghoul aggro. Toss in an Avenger's Shield - nasty.

Phase transition went well, we had few problems. With no DPS on horrors and ghouls, my worst time getting back into the spirits fight was 2nd raging spirit, but enough time to get some hate in before 3rd spawned and Phase 2 began. I'll say we spent a good 2/3 attempts cleaning up the strat for phase 1 and transition phase, then we were pretty good about getting into Phase 2.

I took LK and solo-tanked him. Soul Reaper, I interchanged cooldowns and trinkets (Ick's Rotting Thumb of Mastery ftw) while spec'd into the Holy talent for healing yourself when casting a direct heal (protector of the innocent?). Made Word of Glory heal for upwards of 15k on average. The real trick is realizing that Soul reaper is NOT a direct attack - it's a Plague-like Dot for tanks. After 5 sec - THEN you get smacked for 50k. It was very easily live-through-able.

With focusing fire on the 3rd raging spirit going into phase 2 and freeing him for Valk stun duty, we were able to get dps burn on it, save people, and worry about with defile was going to drop. I'll admit, we're still stuggling with dealing with Defile because it's almost like as soon as you know it's about to drop - you're in it. Anybody have any sage wisdom?...

We hit second transition phase (mind blown on that one), we started to die off quick, plain and simple. Aside from Bloodlust, any tips for dealing with this and going into phase 3? We hit phase 3 once, but the Raging Spirits took us out in quick order.

Also, is there any potential use out of the talent Eye for an eye as far as LK goes? I can't help but think Soul Reaper and his attacks might count as magic damage? Nice kickback could help further DPS even more if that's the case, but again, I don't know for sure...

Line of the night, after 4 weeks of wipes just making it past the first Quake: "I found the Spirit Warden! He's dead!...and I'm killed by Defile."

Final attempt: LK to 36%, wish us luck tonight!

Chaoswhite,

Congrats on getting so far into the encounter!

For second transition (I refer to it as 2.5), I recommend having everybody ready to step right off the platform to minimize damage from remorseless winter - you may need to wait for a Valkyr to go out before pushing the boss to 40% to ensure the transition is smooth. Everyone needs to stay moderately spread out, as much as possible, to minimize damage from Pain and Suffering.

I recommend having whoever is picking up the first raging spirit blow threat-generation cooldowns (in your case, Avenging Wrath) and then call for Bloodlust and have your DPS lay into the spirit as hard as they can. Be ready to taunt back if you have DPS that can burst a lot of threat (I have a fury warrior guildie who does 15k DPS on this fight on 10m normal, so I always watch him).

When you transition into phase 3, make sure you know who will be tanking LK, and have the other tank pick up any remaining spirits. DPS should kill the raging spirits first before switching to LK.

Phase 3 can be different depending on which strategy you plan to use - good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by chaoswhite View Post
    With focusing fire on the 3rd raging spirit going into phase 2 and freeing him for Valk stun duty, we were able to get dps burn on it, save people, and worry about with defile was going to drop. I'll admit, we're still stuggling with dealing with Defile because it's almost like as soon as you know it's about to drop - you're in it. Anybody have any sage wisdom?...
    Don't wait for defile to get on a person and have then have that person move, rather have the raid spread out before defile hits. DBM will count down defile and Valk; 2 sec before defile spread out, then the person with defile moves out a bit more and the raid goes back to the middle; once they drop defile they need to get back to the raid quickly. The only real issue will be the second defile/Valk, they'll come within 2 sec of each other. The key is to keep the center defile free.

Also, when he gets to 42/43% don't worry about last Valk, have the raid push LK to 40 while they go toward the edge, the edge will come up and the last Valk will drop the person on the edge.

In Phase 3 have the tank move the LK side to the side away from Vile Spirits; you're only going to deal with Defile so Defile is pretty easy in phase three. Have your OT try to soak up some of the Vile Spirits, but if you shift LK and raid to the side away from the Vile Spirits, they're not bad to deal with.

Remind the raid to not release when you all die at 10%; when you come back pop all cooldowns and dps the crap out of him - it's really fun.

I'm going for him tonight on my Pally. Last week we got him to 20% with a group of alts and guildies new to the fight. It's really about coordination and people staying alert.
    Last edited by Theotherone; 10-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.

For defile - have everyone in the raid make SURE they have the /say warning in their bossmod enabled for defile (Defile on ME!!). Make sure everyone has /say turned on in their wow options too so they can see it. Makes surviving defiles SO much easier. Just make sure no one's using other macros that use /say during the fight, cause it can confuse people. It really is a gigantic help tho.