+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 78 or 80 to start new leveling zones in Cata?

78 or 80 to start new leveling zones in Cata?

I was presuming that Cata, like BC and Wrath, would allow us to start the leveling experience two levels below the previous level cap, that is, at level 78. Now based on the feedback I'm hearing about the difficulty of new zones on the PTR, I'm in doubt about this presumption. Has there been an official word on this? Can characters leap into Cata leveling content at 78 and survive? Or will they have to wait until 80?

Sorry if this has been answered 100 times before. I can't seem to find the answer.

Xu

You would be able to survive in the new zones, but the issue is that you can't enter or get quests in the new zones until lv 80. Whereas Northrend and Outlands had quests available at 68 and 58 respectively.

For reference here is the Blue post
    "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." - T. P.

Thanks for the generous reply. Looks like I'll be pushing my little priest to 80 before November 2 (or thereabouts).

Xu

I'm pretty sure they bumped everything up so that you are required to be level 80 to get started on the quests.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

Actually you can be 78 to start running the new cata starting zones. The gear that drops in the First two available instances is for level 78 and up.
    Kill yourself and roll a Rogue, We'll wait!

I know it was that way initially, but I was under the impression they changed that.

In the next beta build the minimum level for entering and questing in Mount Hyjal and Vashj'ir will change from level 78 to level 80. All associated creatures will have their levels increased to match the new flow.

Additionally, after careful review and consideration we've decided to increase the hit point values of level 80+ Cataclysm creatures. The new hit point values are roughly double their previous values.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

That makes sense really, they didn't have that at the start of Burning Crusade, and the majority of the player population going into Wrath was level 70 anyway and being at the level cap of the previous expansion just made leveling easier, now when I go into Northrend with a level 68 alt it seems so much harder to get quests done because the mobs are all a bit stronger then the Burning Crusade level 68ish mobs, even if the mobs and quests reward more experience it still seems to be a bit tougher to level.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

+ Reply to Thread