+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magic touch for tanking?

Magic touch for tanking?

I never got to raid seriously because I just got tired of farming and grinding on my warrior (I was feeling like Col. O'Neill did in the SG1 episode "Window of Opportunity"), and in some ways I wish I had, provided the people I would've raided with would've had a decent raid time (as I don't stay up late), but I started tanking with a warrior, and even though I've shelfed him, I could pick him up at any time and run something. I also got a horde tankadin(not as well geared as my warrior) that I picked up while I was lvling my mage and ran HUK just because I used the troll disguise so I could say "New Race/Class Combo: Troll Paladin" at the end. Today, I changed my 72 dk to an alliance, specced him into blood tanking, got the cobalt tank armor, did my research on macros and macro'd accordingly, and just queued up for some regs at my lvl and ran it with little difficulty. I just got done with reg AN and someone said, "You tank better than most dks in heroics."

I do like running my mage more because blowing up crap in arcane is much more fun, less stressful than tanking(and you get less flames from idiots), but trying not to be boastful, but I think I have the magic touch for tanking. I may have to actually level a bear druid to find it out in that department, but it seems more so after my dk try-and-see tanking.
    Speak out! Ask for Stargate Atlantis to be brought back!
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SaveSGA/

Tank heroic PoS and HoR or it didnt happen :P

And if doesnt work, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try again.

I've done it on my warrior and pally, I have to get my dk to 80 first, but I'll look into it.

Although PoS is a piece of cake. HoR is the real pain in the backside and mostly cause someone in the group caused threat (i.e. healer casting a prep HoT or a dps getting trigger happy) before I've let the mobs in the first two bosses gather for my aoe (that was more so the problem on my warrior)

More power to ya for leveling multiple tanks. All I got is my warrior...and that's enough for someone like me.

Still, saying with any definite reliability that you have the magic touch for tanking really requires that you've raided. Don't get me wrong, I love 5 mans. I feel that I can shine in 5 mans...but that doesn't change the fact that tanking a raid is a more intense test of tank skill (at least to me).

In a 5 man, there are no other tanks (hopefully). So when you get to a raiding enviornment, not only do you have to perform the normal tasks expected of you in a 5 man (maintaining agro and staying alive), but you also have to worry about tank swapping, assigned tanking targets, and a plethora of other things (marking targets perhaps). There just is no other tank to compare yourself to in a 5 man, whereas in a raid you can tell fairly easily if you're not performing as well as you should.

For me, some days I feel like I'm really on. I feel like I'm doing everything right. But every now and then, I find a tank that makes me feel inadequate in some way...and that just makes me want to get better. Again, props to ya for leveling so many tanks, but I really suggest you hop into a pug and tank a raid sometime, every now and then the tank dynamics can really surprise you.

I've tried raiding, but most recently it's the raiders keeping me from the raids(even ones I've done enough to do in my sleep) and only because of a static 4 digit number we all know and hate because most pugs think steamroll is required.

I probably would've been with a group that put ICC25 on farm if I didn't feel all burnt out after running heroics all day every day and weeklies when the pugs are even remotely merciful in their screening.

I think I can do tanking,a nd I think I could've proved it to you, but once again, I have all the downsides of the following without the ability to do what I want without consequences:

Last edited by Valandris; 09-21-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paramount View Post
    Still, saying with any definite reliability that you have the magic touch for tanking really requires that you've raided.
    hmmmmphf. Not sure about that. Now that i think of it, i think heroic HoR was a better test of tank skill & ability than most raid bosses. I tend to fall half asleep tanking in raids these days. I mean which boss in icc requires any tank ingenuity? Other than HoR, i'd say Algalon, Auriaya pull, Yogg-Saron, and playing vs 16K dps in heroic icc would be challenging raid bosses for me.

and if i tank icc anymore i think i'll lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!

Quote Originally Posted by Fledern View Post
    and if i tank icc anymore i think i'll lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!
    YOU FTW, btw that's how I felt about gearing.

before I've let the mobs in the first two bosses gather for my aoe (that was more so the problem on my warrior)
    No no no. If you're tanking HoR, you need to be tanking it out in the open. Stop with that silly corner stuff. THEN you're a real tank.

you should've told me that the time I had a 5600 gs huntard refusing to turn off aspect of the pack during that event lol

Re: Magic touch for tanking?

Deathwhisper 25H phase 2 burn is where you can shine as a prot warrior.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

the unfortunate thing and trend I see about most of your posts Valandris is that you're frustration stems from trying to GET into raiding at the end of the expansion when most people are purely sick and tired of ICC and don't want to waste anymore time than they need to to get through it, collect their epics, and log off. 9+ months now they've killed the same bosses... bringing in someone with lower gear or less experience while sometimes goes okay because the player knows what they are doing, is just a risk most pugs won't be willing to take when they HAVE the option of holding out for someone who 'on paper' will do better.

risk vs. reward.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Is there a real question or topic in the OP? Seems like a blog post or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    the unfortunate thing and trend I see about most of your posts Valandris is that you're frustration stems from trying to GET into raiding at the end of the expansion when most people are purely sick and tired of ICC and don't want to waste anymore time than they need to to get through it, collect their epics, and log off. 9+ months now they've killed the same bosses... bringing in someone with lower gear or less experience while sometimes goes okay because the player knows what they are doing, is just a risk most pugs won't be willing to take when they HAVE the option of holding out for someone who 'on paper' will do better.

risk vs. reward.
    Well that, and the ungodly repetitiveness of getting to the point where I look good on paper. By the time I called it quits on my warrior, I was running heroics with my head on the desk, resting my eyes and allowing my photographic memory to tank the instance.

And nez, whether it is or not, idk, but I've never been successful with getting ppl to see my blogs, so I gave up on that a LONG time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    No no no. If you're tanking HoR, you need to be tanking it out in the open. Stop with that silly corner stuff. THEN you're a real tank.
    This!

@Fledern
    I suppose I should clarify that statement a bit.

There are plenty of raid bosses that required (notice past tense) great skill to do properly, but I'd say that most of them this expansion were in Ulduar (I'm talking normal modes here). Now that we overgear Ulduar it's easy to do these encounters in ways that they weren't designed to be done...we can ignore the mechanics that made them difficult essentially.

Razorscale, Ignis, XT, Hodir....they're pushovers now, but when Ulduar was released they were dang near impossible for our casual groups to kill (razor especially). Yes, some of that was due to them being a little overtuned perhaps, but even after they were slightly nerfed, they were still fairly challenging. Managing golems on Ignis was hella hard the first few times I did it, but nowadays people one tank Iggy and just brute force hiim (same goes for Sarth 3D, man that was so hard back in the day).

Hodir (I am talking about the hard mode in this case) was one of the most intense tanking encounters I've experienced. Because it tested you on all levels of tanking...you had to generate a crap ton of threat to keep agro over the buffed casters, you had to move all over the place for fires/ice/freeze, and you had to manage your cooldowns for frozen blows and other "oh shit!" moments.

There are a few bosses out there that have mechanics that cannot be ignored and these wipe ignorant pugs so fast it makes my head spin. This is one of the reasons I'm leary of doing a patchwerk weekly, just because so many people don't know how hateful strike works that I've often found myself in groups where I'm the only one who can tank...which leads to hateful pwnage on the melee (which I've been blamed for..."Turn him around NOOB!"). I actually gave serious consideration to having pugs link their naxx achievement when ICC was released so I could see if they did it while it was "the raid" to do, or if they just hit it up in Ulduar gear later....ha, I would get some much flak on that one for trade if I ever decided to do it.

Still, I can't imagine calling myself a talented tank without having tanked these encounters before I outgeared them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paramount View Post
    @Fledern
    I actually gave serious consideration to having pugs link their naxx achievement when ICC was released so I could see if they did it while it was "the raid" to do, or if they just hit it up in Ulduar gear later....ha, I would get some much flak on that one for trade if I ever decided to do it.

I loved Naxx - along these lines, you can tell hunters that have never done Guth - they can't kite for crap. I can't tell you how many times I've been on DW and a hunter in the group will say "I've never really kited anything." At which point, I start putting "Zombie Chow" in raid chat.

The thing is that you will see your server shaken to the ground in the xpac. There will be new guilds form, solid guilds die, and the gear level will be reset. You should pick up with a good bunch and just go raiding at that point. Alot of guilds that formed in wrath will hit a wall hard in cata. The content and mechanics are more difficult than round it up and tank it. At the end of BC I switched servers and went from horde to ally just to change things up. Took the first guild offer that seemed to have it's head together in WOTLK and BAM! #2 on server. You just have to roll with the punches man.

As for on and off days. I have off days too. I have off instances. There is nothing more embarrassing than someone saying, "55,000 unbuff!!! Now thats a real tank" and then I stink the party up cause I'm just not into it. These are the times to smoke, get a pop, turn family guy on and just chill for a few. In the army we called it green time. Just take your eye off the sight for 2 minutes and stare at something green and out of place. It pulls your eyes and head back into the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I loved Naxx - along these lines, you can tell hunters that have never done Guth - they can't kite for crap. I can't tell you how many times I've been on DW and a hunter in the group will say "I've never really kited anything." At which point, I start putting "Zombie Chow" in raid chat.
    Those were good times, kiting those posh spice zombies in Guth is literally 10 times (depending on the number of zombies) harder and more fun than 1 giant, slow moving zombie in DW. More so when traps shared cool downs back in the days.

+ Reply to Thread