+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cataclysm vs. Wotlk gear scaling

Cataclysm vs. Wotlk gear scaling

I had at least two things in mind while getting geared up in wotlk. One was gearing for ICC and ruby sanctum. Another was to be geared enough to make new content a bit easier on myself so wouldn't have to worry so much about getting wasted by the new creatures in cata. I know the better the gear the easier it will be but my question is this
    Is my time and effort wasted is getting high end gear for the new content and how much will it effect the gameplay ?

No, your time will not be wasted. I would not worry about the X-Pac and how the gear you get now will impact your game play in the new content. Play now like you would if there was no X-Pac on the horizon.

I had the same concerns, and for a while, I just did not care if any of my toons had any real gear (which they still don't, i'm an alt freak).

There just was e comment from GC that some people had problems with their scaling because they hold on to their purples after 83 on beta. The problem is how the old stats are transformed into new stats and that many of those transformations don't lead to optimal gear compositions. But the biggest problem comes from not using the mastery stat. I'm not sure if Blizz will change how they transform Wrath items to Cata items or if it is a better idea to get the mastery stuff as fast as one can or if one would be better of with the purples.

I myself plan to get green and blue mastery stuff as fast as possible. I like to get new items through leveling and I want to test the new masteries. It may not be optimal but it will be more fun for me than I would have by pre-gearing now.

Think of it this way:
    At level 85, you will be using the new gear, regardless if you're farming ICC/Halion out of pure boredome or not.
    At level 80, all the gear you acquire now will help you get that new gear faster in cataclysm. You'll be levelling a bit faster, completing quests with more ease and generally speaking using the investment you do now in a new way.

Conclusion: better gear is better. Don't worry about 'wasting' time & effort, after all, what else is the point of playing games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Just like WarTotem, but I'd like to add some thoughts on that.

Time is critical on WoW, in fact, the only ressource that can't be bought or anything is time. right now you have time, so just use it as you want now. If you want to have fun with your toons, just go, if you want better gear so you'll level faster, then go.
    WoW got two major aspect that keeps me playing, first HL raids, last, lore. So I will level 2 (or more) toons at Clysm juste like I've levelled two toons at WotLK and BC. The first one will be my next main char, I'll level all my professions and read every quests of the next X-Pac, then I'll level my plant farmer of the moment (or for this particuliar X-Pac my second main). Then, and then only I'll do whatever get in my mind.

Conclusion : Better gear is better, time spent now to gain time later is never lost, but keep fun while playing

If you have at least some ok purples now, I doubt that gearing up now will make a huge difference in the time you need to reach 85. If you want to get some server-firsts for your class or race or whatever that may be important. If one gets all the best gear now, one would not see completely better gear for some levels. But that does not mean that the gear one will see will be so much worse than what we can reach now. Especially since the new gear will have the mastery stat. You will get items with comparable item level, early. As soon as you have those items, the bonus of having the best purples from 80 gets less important.

There will definitely be items we can get now, that you would like to use even early at 85. Probably good trinkets or a good procc-weapon or something like that. But some of them will be replaced before entering raids at 85.

If it comes to raiding you have to do much more than simply to reach 85. You have to gear up through heroics. And you have to have 9/24 other people with matching specs who also are 85 and got some gear. So if you are not in one of the raids that reach for world firsts it will take some time until you will enter the raids anyway. The one or two days you may save through gearing up now, may not be as important then...

So: If you have fun while gearing up or if you don't know what to do with all your time, just do it. If you don't like to do it or if you don't have much time to spare I don't think that it will hurt you much to skip it.

I think since so much will be gone forever with Cata that it's a better investment of time to have a look at all the old instances and quests (Loremaster) or farm ZG. There will never be a chance to do this again after Cata starts.

Ok so my GS of 2700 will see me happily into the the new content, time to enjoy a bit of content, maybe work an achievement or two, and level out an Alt.
    when its stops being fun it stops

There are two givens...

1. Eventually all gear gets replaced. No matter how great your gear is, this game is ever growing, eventually something new will be available that is better.

2. The quality of your gear does impact your performance. A fresh 80 in greens and blues will be fine starting out in Cataclysm, it will just be the next step in progression for them. However, the person with 15,000 more health and mana as well as does 10,000 DPS instead of only 2,000 DPS will naturally have an easier time getting from 80 to 81. If you survive longer, kill faster, and can effectively solo what others may require groups of 3 or more to do, naturally you will have an easier time at the start.

These two eventually meet a break even point. Eventually when all gear is replaced, both the person that started in poor gear and the person that started in extraordinary gear will even out (provided skill isn't a variable, naturally a better player will also have an easier time). Everything the T10 person replaced getting to 85 will likely be much of the same pieces the fresh 80 picked up getting there as well.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

If you get great gear now, you might hold on to it for a while (the sockets are nice for keeping you just ahead for a couple levels).

If you don't, you'll just like upgrades you get from quests immediately, and there will be plenty of gear knocking around to catch you up without a problem.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Yeah it never occurred to me that some of the old content will be gone forever. At least this high end gear I have will make it easier to get those ZG mounts lol Maybe take a screen shot or two over some corps as well LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SneekyB View Post
    At least this high end gear I have will make it easier to get those ZG mounts lol Maybe take a screen shot or two over some corps as well LOL
    Hurry up, ZG will be gone with Cata. So if we are lucky with the launch only 12 ids left to go. But no reason to farm high end gear, bring a mates twink and visa versa if you can't solo it on your own.

I wouldn't bother with gearing up right now, even the legendary Shadowmourne will easily be replaced by a lvl 81 blacksmithing weapon. Do what you want to do (arena, achievement huntings, have a good time online with your friends) but don't try to hard.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    Think of it this way:
    Conclusion: better gear is better. Don't worry about 'wasting' time & effort, after all, what else is the point of playing games?
    Perfect statement, couldn't have said it better myself.

From my point of view, it breaks down like this:

1) Do live content if you find it fun and enjoyable--that is never a waste of time
    2) Don't bother doing content you don't enjoy just to get gear--you will replace all the gear you have within a couple levels anyway (once you get to the tail-end of Deepholm, almost everything you have will be disappearing)
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

There are still some great benchmarks to beat, gear is piss easy to get now anyway with everyone on 11/12 HM.

25mans

LK HM 450 US - 210 EU
    Halion HM 390 US - 190 EU
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Quote Originally Posted by SneekyB View Post
    I had at least two things in mind while getting geared up in wotlk. One was gearing for ICC and ruby sanctum. Another was to be geared enough to make new content a bit easier on myself so wouldn't have to worry so much about getting wasted by the new creatures in cata. I know the better the gear the easier it will be but my question is this
    Is my time and effort wasted is getting high end gear for the new content and how much will it effect the gameplay ?
    I started replacing gear as I was getting close to 83 and after I had hit 83, I am currently running my DK though the beta. I run as unholy and this is what my mastery is for unholy. I have stacked mastery on my toon and now have a mastery of 36%, you start with a base mastery of 8, and goes up from there.

Blightcaller - Inceases your damage of your dieases by XX%. Each point of Mastery increases your disease damage by 2.5%.

One thing I notice is my gear seemed less effect with each level I raised, it was not overly difficult, but there was a noticable difference. as of about 3/4 the way through 83 I have changed all my epics out for greens and blues. I would not say your effort would be wasted, most of the gear on my DK was from ToGC, Ulduar, Onyxia and a couple of T10 badge pieces. if you have higher Ilvl gear you might go abit longer before changing it out. But to just give you an idea, with the greens and blues again this is non tanking gear and I do not tank at all with this toon.
    HP - 53488
    AP 6026 (HoW) 7032
    Mastery - 14.65
    Haste 8.50%

I can average about 8-9k dps in the instances and this is with the greens and blues. I do notice a huge increase in the damage with the new gear when fighting mobs, but lvl83-85 mobs hit really hard and you don't want more then about 3 chasing you around.. So hopefully this helps answer a few questions.
    Kill yourself and roll a Rogue, We'll wait!

36% of mastery = how many points, like you said you start with 8 is that points or % ?
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    36% of mastery = how many points, like you said you start with 8 is that points or % ?
    Sorry about not being more accurate with the numbers, you will start off with a base Mastery of 8, depending on the class and what the mastery it is will translate in to a different % number for either damage, absorption, or healing. For me 8 = 20% base damage increase for my disease damage. Not sure, but I'm thinking the ratio of mastery rating to mastery points is probably standard for all calsses, though I will test this.

As for a DK; 135 Mastery rating = 1 Mastery point which then equates to.
    2.5% Disease damage gain for UH
    2.5% Frost damage gain for Frost
    6.25% Damage absorption for Tanking

I will test this out on another toon, or any other beta testers can confirm there Mastery on other toons would be great also.
    Kill yourself and roll a Rogue, We'll wait!

I started replacing my 264 gear with L81 quest rewards, (272 level) mostly to try stacking mastery, not so much that they were really "better". I did not really notice any difference while questing. So I would have to agree, if you have 277 gear it will help you for a bit. But I do not think it will be a huge problem if you do not. At least for questing.
    I've been leveling Prot, and pulling as many quest mobs as I can with little to no difficulty. Although things are fairly spread out in places, so it is hard to do whole quests in one pull like you could at times in the 70-80 grind

I am still raiding, we are working on finishing off 25 man drakes for a couple people, and will soon start on HM-RS. But other wise I am doing things like capping my fishing, doing dailies for gold, storing up some armor pots and the like.

If you don't try to abuse mastery, I didn't start replacing my tank gear (the nicer set) until Deepholm and level 82-83. My weaker DPS gear I started replacing earlier, and more often, though that isn't surprising since there is a lot less tank gear offering.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    If you don't try to abuse mastery, I didn't start replacing my tank gear (the nicer set) until Deepholm and level 82-83. My weaker DPS gear I started replacing earlier, and more often, though that isn't surprising since there is a lot less tank gear offering.
    I am still trying to work out where to get tank gear from to go to the later 5 mans, at the moment you cannot build a tank set with av ilvl 305 from quest rewards and the known instance drops. Heck, without Uldum and TH quest itemisation it will be pretty hard getting gear to go as a dps :/

+ Reply to Thread