+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior Tank gear focused on DPS

Warrior Tank gear focused on DPS

As a prot warrior: I'm not sure if I should go with the 22 defense chest chant and titanium plating (block) or 10 stats chest chant and 20 defense shield chant?

I'm playing with a build that mixes DPS and Prot gear to be able to tank and pump out tons of DPS at the same time... Both seem like good options, and in either case I'm either 3 defense rating or 5 defense rating overcapped, so one must be defense... the other can be offense... which is which?

Another interesting option is to swap out some stam gems and put in defense/stam and to avoid defense enchants on those gear items.

Ideas?

Warrior tanks don't put out tons of DPS. Just give up that dream. Unless you're going to tank in Fury with dual Blades of Culling or something like that...

If you really want to maximize your DPS, make sure your ability priority usage is perfect and try for http://www.wowhead.com/item=50654

Defense isn't going to give you any extra DPS. It gives you block % chance (very small) but no block rating, which is the DPS component of SS.

What shoulder enchants do you have? +sta/+res PvP? That lowers the minimum defense to 536 vs 83 and 532 (I think it's 532) against 82s (Heroic 5m).

The idea of Prot Warrior + Massive DPS just don't exist except maybe when everyone else in your group is pulling 10K plus.

And the damage increase from titanium plating is almost irrelevent.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

I'm interested in this topic as well. I raid as a fury warrior, but I tank random 5 mans in my protection off spec.

As a tank, I never feel threatened in 5 mans. One healer recently said, "WTB a fight where I drop below 90% mana". So, I have been swapping some of my tank pieces for DPS pieces to increase my DPS in 5 mans, just to get through them faster. Most PUGs have poor DPS, so the more DPS I can bring to the party the better.

I'm wondering how far one can push this envelope.

Last night I swapped one trinket and one ring and I was doing ~3500 dps. I noticed my health dropping a little more than usual, but never below 50%, and that was with a less than spectacular healer.

I have tanked heroics naked, and just with Sword and Board to prove a point. You can push the envelope pretty far.

Tank in your fury gear with a sword and board in prot spec. IT's ALOT of fun! If you are doing randoms with a lazy or fail healer you will get flamed ALOT.

However if you are with an active good healer that knows what you are doing, you can fly through 5 man dungeons.

Tank in your fury gear with a sword and board in prot spec. IT's ALOT of fun! If you are doing randoms with a lazy or fail healer you will get flamed ALOT.

However if you are with an active good healer that knows what you are doing, you can fly through 5 man dungeons.

+ Reply to Thread