+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Important is Expertise?

How Important is Expertise?

Ok so... total noob question here, but I was reading that one dude's DK DPS Compendium, and he makes it out like Expertise is a pretty big stat for DKs when rolling DPS Spec. Currently my Expertise is sitting between 18-20, which 26 is the soft cap if I'm not mistaken... but I've gemmed and enchanted to get it to wear it is, because only one or two pieces of my gear actually work on expertise. Is this a mistake on my part? Should I be completely disregarding Expertise unless it comes on gear? I ask, because pretty much everyone in my guild is ignoring the stat altogether, and gemming and enchanting STR, which seems like a better move soooo.... yeah.

Your advice would be well received and greatly appreciated. I'm at work so I can't link my Armory, but if you want to look out of curiosity, my main is Det on Tichondrius and last time I checked, I was top of the list of Dets. Thanks!

P.S. If you DO look at my armory, I already know I'm way over on Hit and will be dropping those Gems as soon as I get home today. Also, I've only been 80 for a couple weeks, so don't make any cracks on my gear, haha. :-P

Yes, 26 expertise guarantees that your opponent will never dodge your attacks. So if you are hit capped for your specials (8%) and have 26 expertise, you'll never miss with a special ability.

Edit: make sure you attack from behind (or the side if its a dragon) -- or you'll get parried (dps loss) and probably killed (HUGE dps loss) by anything that cleaves or has a frontal aoe.

Yeah but say I let myself drop to 14 Expertise and I get dodged here and there, but I have more STR, so when I hit the dmg is exponentially more... does that balance out? Which is more important to worry about?

The expertise gives far more benefit than focusing on attack power only. This is why melee usually focus on expertise and hit capping first.

Not to mention, there are some secondary effects that proc based on melee swings or specials for most (if not all) melee. If you miss more, that's fewer chances to proc.

The question is one of trade off. You go from 18 to 14 expertise, that's 4 points, or 4 * 8.17 rating/point = ~33 expertise. Lets say, rounding down, that came from a +10 Exp +Y gem and a +20 Exp. You could, doing a straight switch, change that to 30 str.

Dropping from 18 exp to 14 exp would result in a 1% higher dodge rate (assuming you're attacking from behind).

So the question is, which does more damage, landing 1% of your swings or 30str on every swing that does land?

I would imagine the answer, even for a freshly dinged 80, is that landing 1% of your attacks > DPS benefits of 30 str. And as your gear improves, this disparity is only going to grow as each dodged attack results in a bigger DPS loss.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

+ Reply to Thread