+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Halion and Expertise Capping (How To!)

Heroic Halion and Expertise Hard Capping (How To!)

So, the expertise hardcap is elusive. For a level 83 boss mob, the expertise soft cap is 26, which pushes dodges off of the table. However the hard cap, that pushes parries off of the table is quite a bit higher, sitting at 56. For every 8.1974973675 rating you gain 1 Expertise.

Now, aside from TPS, the hardcap has been relatively useless, but that changed with Heroic Halion. He parry hastes, one of very few mobs in the game that do currently. This means that because of how hard he hits, a parry streak can be deadly for a tank, especially during healer movement.

Expertise was everywhere in ToGC, and now in ICC hit is everywhere and Expertise is not, so getting any amount of it has been a challenge. Here is how to hard cap yourself for Halion hardmode without losing much survivability:

First, proof:

Here's how:

Key, super high Expertise pieces

1) Heroic Mithrios http://www.wowhead.com/item=50738
    2) Heroic Veincrusher Gauntlets http://www.wowhead.com/item=51835 OR Cataclysmic Chestguard (the better option) http://www.wowhead.com/item=50968
    3) Heroic Grinning Skull Greatboots http://www.wowhead.com/item=50625
    4) Previously useless Tier10 pants! http://www.wowhead.com/item=51223

If you use the gloves, enchant them with Expertise and gem them like this:

OVERKILL!

If you have the chest, which I plan on getting after I get some more badges you won't need all 3 Dragon's Eyes most likely. If you use the gloves, you need to eat a bit of Expertise food to completely cap yourself, with the chest you won't. Chest is a better option.

So, this allows you to not lose your 4 piece, expertise cap yourself, and only lose ~2.5k hp.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Raij; 09-09-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Getting a token for the legs tonight so I can get this setup sorted. Cheers Raij
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Note: If you're an orc, you get roughly the same expertise from your racial with an axe as you do with Heroic Mithrios. As well, humans with a Mithrios don't need as much!

Raji how much hp do you have unbuffed in that set? We tried heroic halion last week 40% best so far but healers seem to have issues keeping me up, had 37k armor, 50k hp unbuffed and 26 expertise (with food). Dropping 5k armor seems alot or do you just have amazing healers?

Unbuffed with shout I have 53.7k HP in that set, compared to my 56.2k in reg gear. In this set I have 32130 armor unbuffed, with the Cata chest instead of gloves you'd have around 34297 unbuffed, which is the better option. If you are low on armor using the gloves pop on an armor trinket.

If I use my Twilight Scale Heroic with gloves I sit at 34706 armor unbuffed.

Physical Realm should focus more on armor imho, while bottom should be more stam and expertise.

Thanks alot for the info, I know I have been getting wrecked by Halion hm in p3. The damage is massive, especially if your bottom dps doesn't lighten up during the transition. He comes out swinging hard, gets the damage buff up top due to bottom damage, and since I need to blow cooldowns when I first pick him up we tend to get screwed when healers have to switch sides. Sadly the mace hasn't been dropping but I have everything else, bar the 277 tier legs.

Btw im jealous of your heroic scale and Halion boots!
    Last edited by ironsides; 09-09-2010 at 08:22 AM.

Cooldown rotation I use:

Going down pop Shield Wall
    First movement - trinkets
    2nd movement - LS
    3rd movement - Enraged Regen + 4piece Blood Rage + Sindra Trinket
    P3
    4th - SW
    5th - Pally Sac + Bubble
    6th - LS
    7th - GS

Glyphs: Last Stand, SW, Taunt.

As an aside I use my armor cap set up top:

Fully capped with an armor pot + buffs

Parry haste up top isn't as big of a deal, not as much movement. As such, CDs on healer movements only; soaking his physical (which is what will generally kill you) is a better idea.

Thanks for the info, I am not sure which I am going to tank this week but I will change around my gear accordingly, sadly I only have 271 scale and 251 UO. =( I can use the icc armor neck to make up for lost armor though.

Armor neck refuses to drop for me, and we have never seen 277 bracers or belt. RNG ftw.

While I agree that this is probably a good thing to do for this fight, i has question:

What is your threat difference with 57 expertise compared to your normal set? I think the best reason to do this is b/c of parry haste, but I am curious to know what the real world threat difference is. Is it noticable? Is it a couple K TPS? Does it make a big difference for your dpsers? Etc. Etc.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I have never seen the belt, and the bracers our old prot pally took =S.

Well, it won't be my max threat as I am using a survivability build (2nd one on my armory), however, I maintain a good 11-12k TPS even while moving, weaving TCs and Demos. It drops to 8k on movements and spikes back up to 11-12k stationary.

After movement I refresh TC and Demo, it will last until the next movement ends, max TPS in between, CD right before movement begins.

I accidentally used my threat build on our first pull last night and maintained a good 13-14k TPS stationary, spiking to near 20k with my Mocking Blow weaving. Hunters only MD when we go down at first.

You should try the different sets on something like H-Saurfang and post the Omen results, IMO.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Hehe, I could yeh. I already pull ridiculous TPS on Saurfang as is, no movement and my new and improved max TPS build.

I wish our WoL would not bug out on Halion so I could compare damage using this set and not. Oh well, using 2 people to parse is just too much to ask I suppose. -_-

Hah thanks again for the info, gonna have to come back to this post when I get home, so I can prepare for Halion tonight.

Oh, our holy priest also specs lightwell and drops it beside me after movements, so I can click it, and also click it just before movement to get an extra HoT.

Raij up top, do you take the uggg can't recall name, the boss fire elemental as well :P ?
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Yes, we have the tank that tanks Halion up top get the large fire add MDed to him, we have a 2nd tank up there grab the small adds. A holy paladin running righteous fury funnels the small adds to him and tricks get them all on to him. Melee aoes the adds while doing damage to the boss, all ranged is on the larger add, and then when dead all ranged is on the boss.

do you know how the tank deals with the extra damage from the large fire add ?, I found sindra trinket worked really as an extra cooldown at my disposal. But running a pure physical setup doesn't offer that option.

+ Reply to Thread