+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need help with spec for new rogue

Quote Originally Posted by penademuerte View Post
    Heck I didnt know i was opening such a big can of worms.
    Not your fault. Some people are just bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by penademuerte View Post
    I have been drug through ICC 25 now thanks to the guild and have remedied the off hand issue with Heartpierce. I have gotton my ashen verdict ring and the iLevel 264 off marrowgar, now just have to replace the hands, head, neck, and trinket, and upgrade the legs and belt. Thank you guys for offering your opinions and giving of advice, i really appreciate it. I understand that playing a rogue properly is something that takes time to learn, but I am trying. I will change out those agility gems for attack power. Thanks again.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Korgath&cn=Furrytaco
    Heartpierce is likely much better than Nighttime, but you're no longer benefitting from Hack and Slash from your offhand swings (because it's not an axe or sword). Furthermore, 1.8 is still quite slow for an offhand (you want 1.6 or faster).

If you can get your hands on Bone Warden's Splitter (Marrowgar10) or Scourgeborne Waraxe (Gunship25), go for it. Both of those would work out better than Heartpierce.

Your assassination spec seems to have changed, but you've still got a couple of small things wrong. Glyph of Vigor should be Glyph of Tricks or Glyph of Fan of Knives. The point in Aggression should go into Lightning Reflexes (you're never using SS, BS, or Eviscerate anyways), and you still have an extra unused talent point, which should go into Relentless Strikes.

Start farming heroics for T9 and the Triumph Badge trinket. All of those pieces are fairly good until you can find replacements in ICC.

^
    whoohoo back on topic.

:-)
    So long and thanks for all this fish

Zxian that is a funny song on that link man.....anyway where i am at now is stacking agility the proper thing to do because as of right now i am finding i am doing more dps in the combat spec. I will change the affore mentioned things in my spec as soon as the reset is over with today. Thank you again

Furry

I wouldn't bother replacing any of the gems in your gear just yet. For now, the difference between Agi and Ap is going to be small (although if you're going for orange gems, make sure you're using AP/haste and not AP/crit).

Once you start picking up more gear along the way, you'll likely notice that your ArP will go up. There will be a point at which ArP is stronger than AP or Agi, and the more you have, the better it gets (as opposed to all other stats, that actually get worse point for point as you have more).

If you want to find out what gems are good and which aren't, download iDPS. It's a Java app that will let you import your character and select different configurations of gear and gems. That way, you can play around with gems, enchants, and upgrades to see what will get you the most DPS.

Zxian is it worth gemming armor-pen now that it is going to be a talent or passive thing when cata comes out.....I am just wondering cause my gear is getting better and by the time i get to where u are talking about stacking armor-pen it might be cata time and then where would i be?? Also, since i dont need the hit from the enchant on my boots what would be the best enchant to have there greater assault or superior agility??
    Last edited by penademuerte; 09-18-2010 at 05:44 PM.

I'm hoping you just logged out in your Mutilate gear, but combat spec. Combat daggers does not work. Full stop. :P

Your best bet is to just stick with gemming what's best for your gear now rather than worry about the next xpac. When Cata drops, you'll be working on leveling to 85 anyways, and all the rules will change.

Icewalker is always the best enchant for boots, even if you're above the poison hit cap. There is no other alternative for PvE.

Go read the guides on EJ (like... actually sit down and read them, don't just skim). They'll likely answer many of your questions before you ask them here.

Go read the guides on EJ (like... actually sit down and read them, don't just skim). They'll likely answer many of your questions before you ask them here.[/QUOTE]

No. They won't. That's one of the minor problems with Elitist Jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    No. They won't. That's one of the minor problems with Elitist Jerks.
    Yes. They will.

Q: Which stats are good for combat?
    A: At high gear levels, ArPen usually takes over; until you get there, it can be almost anything. I've seen Agi, AP, Hit, and Haste all take the top position depending on the exact details of your gear setup - check a spreadsheet to find the answer that's right for you. But by late ICC gear levels, the rule of thumb seems to be enough Exp and Hit to fix any crit cap issues you may have and then stack ArPen. In some gear setups you might find it advantageous to use a haste gem or two.
    -3.3 Rogue FAQ (linked from Pocket Guide to WOTLK)

See? An answer for penademuerte's latest question. Oh wait. It says to consult a spreadsheet. Ohnoes. Work that I would have to do in order to determine what is best for my rogue. What a terrible idea.

Furthermore, the Pocket Guide has an entire table for which enchants Rogues should use. There is little choice for us, and it really only depends on whether you have the profession for said enchant, or if you've got a movespeed bonus for free from talents. (If you're not running with Cat's Swiftness or Tuskarr's Vitality on your boots as combat, you're asking for trouble in any serious raiding guild). There's also only one correct choice for meta gems for Rogues, and it isn't 21crit/3% crit damage.

This is why I suggest people read and learn. Give a man a fish, and he'll eat. Teach a man to fish, and he'll never go hungry.

P.S. I'm still waiting for you to give a viable alternative.

wow this thread helped me out trying to find a good way to find info for trying to build my new rogue beside the unneeded and somewhat uncalled for interuption from Jammer Six

Then your path forward is absolutely clear: elitist jerks is definitely for you!

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread