+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Numbers Game: Learning to Understand Math in WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Sennex View Post
    That being said, has the recent patch changed any of these equations?
    the the applications for the equations (what you can use them on) have changed slightly, but all of the aspects are still useful to know.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

The biggest change in regard to formulas in general that the 4.0.1 patch introduced is the change in how the Global Cooldown (GCD) or the cast time of an ability interacts with latency because of the spell queuing mechanic changes. This results in a simpler form of calculating the Damage per Execution Time (DPET) of abilties bound by the GCD since the latency factor is effectively removed unless latency exceeds a large amount (500ms+).

Naturally there are a lot of specific changes which occured to abilities and stats in the game affect math related to them particularlly, but at a higher level of core concepts, the spell queuing mechanic change is the only one which has an impact on all formulas across the board where latency was and still is a factor.

This is the only 4.0.1 change I can think of with a universal impact.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Thank you for the response, I am starting to work through these now and am looking at doing some simple coding based off of it all. I just started a class on C# and would love to have a way to get this stuff auto calculated out. Sort of like Landsouls spreadsheet, but more focus on tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sennex View Post
    That being said, has the recent patch changed any of these equations?
    Although some base numbers have changed, the overall principals are still the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

Time is fat, and checks it's weight on a timescale:

And because time is fat, it's on the bottom of the equation in most cases because it doesn't like to crush its friends.
    I laughed a little bit.

Wonderful guide, thanks!

Jebus. I was half asleep and I came across this thread... woke me right up and into a headache. Think i'll revisit when I need a wake-up call.
    (Thumbs up to you)

I feel dizzy; oh my how I hate seeing numbers in equation. I play on my way and never mind those.

This needs to be reviewed for the information to be still correct for MoP numbers.

Someone take a look at this and if there are changes, announce them or make a new thread with MoP numbers. Thanks!

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Don't know of TGM has time for it, else I'll try and post an updated version next week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

+ Reply to Thread