+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protection warrior on battle stance: Rotation/Priorities?

Protection warrior on battle stance: Rotation/Priorities?

Hi everyone, new poster here.

I'm a new tank, just have been raiding for like 3 months. Anyway, I'm working on 10 man normal Sindragosa with my guild, and I offtank this fight. Untill 35% my job is only not to help dps, and I'm having some trouble there. I switch to battle stance, equip a 2 hander (Ramaladni Blade of Culling) but I do less DPS then when Im tanking. I've looked in a lot of places but havent found this kind of information in any guides.

Long story short, my question is, what should be my rotation/priorities when DPSing in battle stance?

And finaly, am I right in thinking that if I maintanked this fight and the other tank, a paladin, offtanked we would globaly do more DPS?

spam devastate and keep shield slam on cd with a slow 1hand dps weapon (like axe off gunship 10/saurfang 25). you will do alot more dps by doing that than swapping to a 2hander since the only thing you could do then is pretty much rend, overpower, and autoattack.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Ok I will do this tonight, I already have the gunship 1hand axe so I will use that. Thanks!

Shockwave when you can too. Especially good if you have 2pc T10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Use Shockwave and also use as slow/high DPS 1H as you can. Many DPS 1H weapons in ICC-10, for instance, are a lot better than tank weapons for Battle Stance Devastate spam.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

This is also applicable to Festergut with 8-9 stacks, and if you are really quick, LDW.

Recklessness > shockwave > shield block > shield slam.

well if you're gonna be accurate

Zerker stance > Recklessness> defensive stance > shield block > battle stance > Shockwave > Shield Slam

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

In general keep your sword and board on (throw on a slow 1h dps weapon like frost giant's clever if you have one). Hop into battle stance (10% armor pen > 3% crit), SS and SW on CD otherwise spam devastate, throw in a few heroic strikes if rage allows. Do not use overpower as prot, it hits like a wet noodle with a 1h weapon, devastate hits much harder.

About the only times you would use this in ICC is off tanking sindy and after the tank swap on festergut. If I stance dance as soon as the tank switch happens on fester I can go just about all out even without a salv and not have threat issues.

In the end you will still likely do slightly less dps than tanking as your losing your revenge damage and a large chunk of your heroic strikes

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    well if you're gonna be accurate

Zerker stance > Recklessness> defensive stance > shield block > battle stance > Shockwave > Shield Slam
    Or you could use Shockwave at any point since it's not even affected by Recklessness.

The problem I can see here is that if the healers bobble the other tank and you've got your shield / 1-hander unequipped and you're in battle/zerker stance, you're looking at several global cooldowns before you can really start tanking. This is ample opportunity for a boss to gobble up several dps. I can think of numerous incidences where I was offtanking but ready to tank and saved the encounter with a quick taunt followed by some actual tanking.

Not wearing your tanking gear leaves you open to STDs (Sudden tank death). Does your raid need the extra 1kdps you're providing to beat the encounter? If so, other issues may well exist beyond your offtanking status.

Good point Griff. To be honest the only reason I cared about my dps was because my job until phase 3 is so boring. Also Sindragosa is not a dps race so my dps doesn't matter that much.

+ Reply to Thread